leinster club hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: leinster club hurling

Post by Lone Shark »

bracknaghboy wrote:Plain of the Herbs and Lone Shark (read this this weeks Independent) both think this game will be won and lost because of newspaper articles written by the Wexford press.
My point was not that the papers would have any bearing on the outcome, but that they gave an insight into how Oulart may not be fully mentally ready for that game. The newspaper articles were a potential symptom, rather than a cause, of a deeper affliction which could have been fatal.

I have no idea if it was or wasn't - family commitments prevented me from travelling so I'll have to look at the recording before drawing any conclusions.

However congratulations to all involved with the Coolderry club on a great success. It's a wonderful achievement for them and best of luck in their preparations to hurl Gort.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Well done to Coolderry. It was like how Offaly-Wexford clashes used to be in the 80s and 90s. The Wexford side making more of the running, creating chances but not converting them and the Offaly side being that bit cuter and more efficient.

I felt the way Coolderry won Offaly this year would have a confidence boosting and liberating effect on them. They have always had plenty of hurlers, but have occasionally been flaky in the past.

This title winning should give a good boost to Coolderry and Offaly hurling.

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

First and foremost congrats to Coolderry on their win yesterday!

Forwards win matches and Coolderry have 4 or 5 that can get scores on any given day,Brian Carroll was due a good game and yesterday he played very well,Ryan and Murray also played very well but for me Cathal Parlon was their stand out forward!
Joe Brady was immense at centre back with Trevor Corcoran outstanding as well!

On a side note if I was a Wexford supporter watching that game yesterday I'd be very worried,Liam Dunne was very slow to change things on the line they didnt seem to have any plan other than to puck the ball as far as they could everytime they got it and if Joe Brady didnt clear it,the ball dropped into the goalie where he dealt with everthing that was dropped in!

Wexford could be in big trouble if thats all that Liam Dunne has to offer tactically!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

At last some good news for us to discuss! Great great win for Coolderry. Its getting plenty of national coverage so might help kick start our county fortunes. Firstly let me say goal keepers rarely get mentioned unless they pull off a few spectacular saves in a game but Stephen Corcoran was outstanding yesterday, he dealt with 4 pressure dropping balls on top of him when a mistake could have swung the game in Oularts favour. What a game from Joe Brady. Imagine what a player he would be if he got himself in proper shape. His performances at centre back always highlight how crazy it was for Joe Dooley to be playing him centre forward!! I think the winning of the game was how the Coolderry forwards fought when they lost possession. They tackled and haressed the Oulart backs forcing them into aimless clearances. Special mention for Damien Murray.....he must have covered more ground than any other player. He chased every lost cause there was and even with 2 minutes to go he throwing himself in front of Oulart attackers 30 yards from the Coolderry goal. Looking forward to seeing Damien back for Offaly this year, his attitude and work rate is fantastric.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Well done to Coolderry yesterday. Went to the game in hope as I felt Oulart would be hell bent on winning and would have that bit of experience. We left happy men yesterday as some great play by Coolderry, and a little fortune , saw them home to a great win. Felt exactly like BNM man and said the same to a Wexford man on the way out, in that they did a lot of the hurling without taking their chances. They had a couple of stand out performers, Rossiter, David Redmond were excellent, but Coolderry had the sharper forwards. Good crowd from across the county followed Coolderry, and I think this is a great feature of the Offaly crowd, getting behind their county champions.
Joe Brady and Kevin hurled well, Trevor Corcoran, Parlon, Murray, and the keeper hurled well also.

In bonus territory now, but they will have no fear now and all the best to the lads. It will be a great boost to the county and would echo what a poster has said about Liam Dunne, they played right into Coolderry's, (or should I say Joe Brady's and Stephen Corcorans hands) with aimless pucks.

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

I think its about time I posted here! Ive been quiet over the last few weeks as I didnt want to get carried away.

It is with great pride that I write this evening. The 15 players that took the field yesterday in a Coolderry jersey died for the jersey and got their just rewards. There was probably an element of Oulart underestimating Coolderry yesterday, Im not sure why as the last meeting ended with Coolderry coming out on top.

There are a lot of people outside of this county who think Offaly hurling is dead and gone. It was genuinely funny watching the shock on the ballyboden fans a few weeks ago and on the Oulart fans yesterday as they watched the points sailing over. Yesterday proved that the senior club scene in Offaly is as competitive as any in the country. What is missing sometimes at county level is the work rate, passion and intensity that was shown yesterday.

I think the game was won yesterday through sheer grit and determination and no little skill on top for good measure. Joe Brady is a tremendous leader at centre back, I know some may feel he is not in the shape required for intercounty level but you must realise Joe didnt start hurling really until June / July this year due to a hip operation and its a credit to his commitment both to his club and his county that he continues hurling quite a lot of the time under 100% condition but never under 100% commitment. Trevor Corcoran again was tremendous, he was on the Offaly panel for a while and never once got a look in, I for one think he deserves a real chance to make the grade at intercounty level, he has the mentality required for the big day. Cathal Parlon has finally become the hurler he can be, As Joe Brady described him after the match he is an enigma, on his day he is definately one of the best forwards in the county, he was just lacking the consistensy but that seems to be happening now. Damien Murray was an unbelievable workhorse yesterday, watching him chase David Redmond down the wing in the last few minutes epitomised the Coolderry spirit and his steadiness over the frees was a vital component to the win.

Finally thanks to all the support both on this forum and yesterday in Nowlan Park, there is no doubt the tough games against the likes of Birr in the final and Clarren in the Quarter Final in particular stood to us.

Roll on February!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Congrats to backofthenet, tacmot and to all Coolderry folk. This has been a long time coming for ye, as ye know. Enjoy it. Can I say I agree with your points on Cathal Parlon but in particular on Trevor Corcoran.

Brilliant piece from the School in Coolderry on the six-1 news on RTE this evening, too.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Fantastic achievement for Coolderry and just desserts for a fine bunch of players. Congrats to all involved and backofthenet and all parishioners on this site.

Let nobody put any astrix next to their win (no KK side, OTB not performing) this victory was very much on merit. They’ve proven themselves as a team for dry and soft conditions and have put a few years of underachievement in the SHC and last year’s inglorious exit in the LHC well and truly behind them.

For me,the team is the sum of the parts rather than a story of individual brilliance and it remains to be seen who will make the grade next summer. Great to see Cathal Parlon deliver another big performance after his heroics against Ballyboden – the county side really needs a bit of grit on the 40 - he looks in great physical shape.

Gort are marginal favourites for the semi on oddschecker but there’s absolutely no justification for that. Coolderry have shown the big game temperament and Gort as green as what’s left at this level - being underrated suits Colderry just fine. It’s wide open.

Great to see Eamonn ‘stay classy’ Horan at Coolderry NS yesterday with the team. That’s the kind of feel good message that needs to be brought back to the county.

weisford
Junior B

Post by weisford »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:

That you, Townman? What's with the 'Wexfordforlife'? Wexford since . . . this morning.
wexfordforlife wrote:

spot on lad oulart forwards didn't show up Rory jacob was awol on sunday
the backline done the best it could but Coolderrys forward line are top class
the talk before hand about Oularts countymen but c/derry also have their
countymen and they all stood up on sunday

Offaly contributions to the Wexford supporters forum.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

weisford wrote:Plain of the Herbs wrote:

That you, Townman? What's with the 'Wexfordforlife'? Wexford since . . . this morning.
wexfordforlife wrote:

spot on lad oulart forwards didn't show up Rory jacob was awol on sunday
the backline done the best it could but Coolderrys forward line are top class
the talk before hand about Oularts countymen but c/derry also have their
countymen and they all stood up on sunday

Offaly contributions to the Wexford supporters forum.
Well he is hardly typical in fairness!
On one level you'd have to admire how one man can invade so many forums with virtual fist pumping over a few past glories and the occasional latter day victory.
God help us all, if he came from a county with dozens of All Irelands. :lol:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Coolderry v Gort in Limerick (of all places!)

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Coolderry will hurl Gort in Limerick on Saturday 11th February 2012. In a way Limerick is an odd choice for a match in February given that it is quite a wet pitch, particularly in February. Second only to Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

The obvious choice would have been Thurles, in February anyway. They say the first time of the year a thud is heard from a hurling ball hitting the ground is in Thurles on club hurling semi-final day.

There is some logic for Limerick on a geographical basis given the respective differences between Thurles and the two competing clubs. T’would be a fair haul from Gort across the mountains to Portumna, then on to Borrisokane and then Nenagh. On the other hand Thurles is a short hop from Dromakeenan.

Loughgiel face Na Piarsaigh in Parnell Park, Dublin at the same time, 2pm. Last year both semi-finals were played one after the other live on TG4.

Oh, and they’re on Saturdays because League football in on the Sunday. That’s more important, or something. The club football semi-finals are on the Sunday of the following week though.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

Any word on how the coolderry /mount leinster rangers game went on saturday? curious to know how it went.. i think coolderry were hurling sunday too?