leinster club hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

leinster club hurling

Post by kingscounty »

coolderry 19/10 ballyboden 1/2 ; should be a good game here , it would be great for offaly hurling if coolderry can get a good run in leinster this year. ballyboden will be hard game and they need every one to pull together,parlon and carroll need to step up here and show their county experience . teehan at centre forward needs another big game and if murray and ryan are on song coolderry stand a great chance of winning this game.joe and kevin brady will be key to keeping the backs tight and strong.

townman
All Star

Re: leinster club hurling

Post by townman »

lets hope they can do it they have the hurlers to do it, if they hurl like they have in big games in offaly over the last two years
they can do it.

Parnell Park is a hard ground to get a win in they have in forwards Brian Carrroll, Parlon, Barry Teehan, Damien Murray, and young guns Connolly and
Eoin Ryan, the best that are around in club hurling add in Joe and Kevin Brady Brendan O'Meara who have hurl for offaly to keep it tight at the back
if Coolderry can get there good early start i go for a 4 point win for Coolderry all the best to them.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

This is a big one for Coolderry. They have alot to prove after last year. At this time of the year it comes down alot to who wants it more. last year Coolderry were shown up because they hadnt the fight in them, that hunger that you need to win in the muck and wet.

I think they can win it, they have enough talent to win it. I hope they have the drive in them to win it. the forwards as mentioned by another poster are crucial. Not from a fancy scoring point of view but their work rate to fight for the nothing balls.

Ballyboden are a good all round outfit. Spain at fullback is seen as a solid performer but he got a bit of a run around last weekend from Brendan Murtagh. He does not like players taking him on particularly when they cut in on his right side. Boden are strong on the half back line. Physical athletic players at 6 and 7. Nolan is a good 6 and needs to be stopped from coming out with ball. Curran at 7 is potentially the weaker of the 3. He will hurl a good bit of ball but his man will get opportunities. Malachy Travers of course is the key man. He wont man mark but he will try sweep up everything and he does that very well. I think Martin Corcoran would suit Travers too much and this is an area Coolderry could be in bother in. At midfield Curtin and Durkin are tall mobile players again. Coolderry have to win this battle. They cant let these lads supply ball into the inside line or they will be in serious bother. Of the Boden attack, Lambert and McCormack will be the central men. Although McCormack could drift to wing forward. Paul Ryan is the star man for them. Give away a free anywhere and he will stick it over. Coolderry have to be aware of this. Emmett Carroll is in the other corner. He can blow hot and cold. But if he is given space he will do damage. The Corner backs have to be like glue to these lads.

If Coolderry turn up in the right frame of mind and tear into Boden, moving the ball fast then they have a great chance. Boden are very confident that this game should be straight forward enough. This is an opportunity for Coolderry to cause an upset.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Hard to see how Coolderry can pull off a shock here. I thought once Birr tightened up they were the better team, and I dont see what some of ye seem to see in the forwards. Carroll & Parlon were nowhere to be seen when Birr threw down the gauntlet, (and Carroll before that), Murray will do very little in the wet mucky conditions, and I though Barry Teehan was a lot quiter in the final than has been spoke about here. It will take a big step up to get a win, and personally I think if they come within 4 points they will be doing well. One thing that may count in their favour is the run of games Ballyboden have had, there could be a little bit of tiredness, (James Stephens example).
Best of luck to Coolderry, they have the backs to do it but not sure if enough elsewhere.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Hard to see how Coolderry can pull off a shock here. I thought once Birr tightened up they were the better team, and I dont see what some of ye seem to see in the forwards. Carroll & Parlon were nowhere to be seen when Birr threw down the gauntlet, (and Carroll before that), Murray will do very little in the wet mucky conditions, and I though Barry Teehan was a lot quiter in the final than has been spoke about here. It will take a big step up to get a win, and personally I think if they come within 4 points they will be doing well. One thing that may count in their favour is the run of games Ballyboden have had, there could be a little bit of tiredness, (James Stephens example).
Best of luck to Coolderry, they have the backs to do it but not sure if enough elsewhere.
the way i would look at it is Birr would take Ballyboden if they were hurling them sunday, so why not Coolderry also Boden were lucky enough again Clonkill
i know Coolderry were beaten last year by westmeath winners but they miss a host of chances if they take them sunday they might just nick it.

like Oulart-the-Ballagh Coolderrys luck will change someday in leinster club hurling .

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

I hope it does Townman! All I can say is the last decent day I had in that hole of a Parnell Park was the league football game v Dublin in '98 i think it was when we beat the dirty Dubs in a mighty struggle. And even then poor aul Finbarr took one of the mainest belts thrown on a football pitch that I ever saw.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:I hope it does Townman! All I can say is the last decent day I had in that hole of a Parnell Park was the league football game v Dublin in '98 i think it was when we beat the dirty Dubs in a mighty struggle. And even then poor aul Finbarr took one of the mainest belts thrown on a football pitch that I ever saw.
true,true the same thug that hit Finbarr hadn't the ball's to play in tullamore the following years league game, he also had the neck to talk on the sunday game
about lads been hit of the ball joke we know who he is wouldn't waste my time to print his name.

anyway the last Decent day i had up there Birr hurl Ballyboden out the gate hope for the same result on sunday offaly hurling needs a lift.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Great win for Coolderry and am delighted to be proved wrong! Mighty to see an Offaly team perform so well in Parnell park. They will have their work cut out for them against Oulart, but this should give them a lot of confidence, and best of luck to them!

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

super win for coolderry and badly needed for the county in terms of hurling. started off a bit slow but won well at the end. it would be great to see them win the leinster , wexford champs won today but didnt blow the laois champs away. best of luck to coolderry in the final and the whole county should get behind them.

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

As a Kinnitty man it is not too often that I would attend a game where I'd be supporting our neighbours Coolderry, but that was the case today as I headed over to Parnell park. It was a really enjoyable game and good value at €10 in. However €2 for that programme was ridiculous. Reasonable crowd at it- however am not sure how many Offaly people from other clubs were there, saw a few from my own club but don't know after that.
On the game itself, Coolderry were sluggish in first few mins as Ballyboden tore out of the traps. Ballyboden scored 2 very quick points and could have had a goal or 2. However Coolderry settled into the game and it was nip and tuck until about 5 to 8 mins before half-time when Coolderry really opened Ballyboden up with some great points, especially from Eoin Ryan and Cathal Parlon and then Barry Teehan found the net after a great move just before half-time. Coolderry were flying when the half-time whistle sounded and went in 6 up. Like the 1st half, Ballyboden started the 2nd half strongly with a couple of points. However Coolderry never really let Boden get close enough to seriously worry them. Every time Boden would get it down to 4, Coolderry would respond to tag on a few points. Boden had a nice few goal chances during the game but Coolderry were deserving winners. Corcoran was good in goals but did bat out a few balls that led to goal chances, full back line were olid and Joe Brady did very well at centre back. David King was ok at wing and so was Brendan O meara in 1st half but was in serious trouble in 2nd half as Simon Lambert won puck out after puck out (K Brady eventually went onto Lambert) K Brady did fine at midfield except for giving away usual few silly frees and took 1 long range shot-which he should be banned from doing. K Teehan is skillful but shied out of the physical aspects of the game. Martin Corcoran did really well at wing forward-winning a lot of ball in the air. Barry Teehan and Brain Carroll were good on half- forward line but Carroll is definitely capable of more. Overall full forward line did really well. Eoin Ryan had a super 1st half but did not do near as well in 2nd half when Dave Sweeney moved onto him. Damien Murray did well from play and of course from frees. I thought Cathal Parlon did really well and showed what is capable. It is frustrating that Parlon cannot seem to produce these high standards on a regular basis for Offaly.
Today was a nice boost for Offaly hurling, at this stage every win is important to help raise confidence levels in the county.
Positives from today- Coolderry won playing a nice brand of hurling, a number of the county players and potential county played well.
Negatives -Ballyboden were better at catching the ball in the air by far and this is a seious problem for Offaly hurling in general. Martin Corcoran was the only Coolderry player that did this well compared to a number of Boden players. Boden were also stronger in terms of physical battle, though a number of Coolderry players put in great tackles and blocks during the game. I saw Eoin Ryan in a few club games this year and was highly impressed by him and likewise in hid 1st half display today. Based on that I would have him as a serious county player in the future. But I was bothered by how well he was marked out of it in 2nd half despite getting some great ball into him-def needs to be bit stronger on the ball but he is without doubt very talented. Kevin Connolly only came on today for last 10 mins as he was injured for a lot of year and I haven't seen much of him hurl but have heard a lot about him.
Best of luck to Coolderry in Leinster final. Where will it be on?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Hat's off to Coolderry glad to say i was right .

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Cheers for that detailed report, SBM. I went to Ballyraggett myself. Wrong venue. Ouch!

I've watched Oulart v JS on th'oul video and I must say I wasn't convinced by Oulart at all. more of that in due course. Hopefully Coolderry will have their heads right for the Leinster Final. The whole competition is wide open now. Only six teams left in it. Even Loughguile are worth consideration at this stage.

Oulart will probably be favourites for the All-Ireland now and that suits just fine. I had actually been hoping they would have beaten Ballacolla by much more today just to distract their heads.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Just saw this query now. Being a Senior Final it will be at a neutral venue, so Kilkenny or Carlow. Wexford NEVER get asked to travel to Portlaoise.
Slieve Bloom Man wrote:Where will it be on?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

It's on in Nowlan Park in 2 weeks.

How did Coolderry do in Leinster the last time they won the county before last year?

I was at the Oulart JS game. They play a lovely brand of hurling and have some very good players. However, when they were put under pressure near the end they nearly capitulated. Coolderry would have a bigger, stronger team and should have every chance of winning this one if they bring their A game. All the pressure will be on the Wexford men.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

corner back wrote:It's on in Nowlan Park in 2 weeks.

How did Coolderry do in Leinster the last time they won the county before last year?

I was at the Oulart JS game. They play a lovely brand of hurling and have some very good players. However, when they were put under pressure near the end they nearly capitulated. Coolderry would have a bigger, stronger team and should have every chance of winning this one if they bring their A game. All the pressure will be on the Wexford men.
before last year in was 2004 that they won the championship and a strong UCD team beat them they also came out in 1986 with no luck.
they got to the club final of 1980 i think but were beaten by the Dublin winners .