Thanks Drumcullen

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Thanks Drumcullen

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Rory Hanniffy is out of contention for Sunday due to a broken bone in his hand acquired while playing for Birr against Drumcullen three weeks ago.

I would thus like to thank Drumcullen and their management for instigating blatant 'pull timber' tactics once that game slipped out of reach and, in doing so, have now deprived Offaly of arguably their best player.

Hope it was worth it.
Last edited by GreatDayForTheParish on Fri May 27, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Re: Thanks Drumcullen

Post by High School Musical »

What I like about this site (as opposed to a site such as Hoganbland) is that you can say anything and get away with it. There doesn't seem to be any moderator. Slander like that wouldn't be tolerated on that particular site. I've never seen Drumcullen hurl so I cant really pass comment on them, but from what I've read on this site in the past it seems as if there are a lot of people unhappy with the way they approach a game.

If we're having a go at people, I'd like to add my two cents to the mix - since I can.
So here goes nothing.
I DONT LIKE OPRAH WINFREY!!!!........there....I said it. I dont know why, I just dont.
Go on you vultures, judge me!
I can take it.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

High School Musical wrote:What I like about this site (as opposed to a site such as Hoganbland) is that you can say anything and get away with it. There doesn't seem to be any moderator. Slander like that wouldn't be tolerated on that particular site.
Its only slander if it is false.

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

I am so insensed at the minute. For any know it to hide behind a keyboard and slander a club consistently is wrong.
If you honestly believe that Drumcullen deliberatley hurt Rory Hanniffy, one of the county's best, most respected hurler and a gentleman, then you
are deluded. So does it mean that any player who gets injured in a game is a result of dirty tactics? Ye had yere say on the William Spain sending off and that was it.
I will not stand for taking blame for Rory's injury. If there was a bad stroke it would be commented at the time, and he has been able to hurl away since. There will be plenty of Drumcullen supporters in Croke Park Sunday, but I for one am sick to the arse of this site and how low the tone has got. If you want to personally attack players or clubs, then be a man and sign your name after it.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

alltheway wrote:I am so insensed at the minute. For any know it to hide behind a keyboard and slander a club consistently is wrong.
If you honestly believe that Drumcullen deliberatley hurt Rory Hanniffy, one of the county's best, most respected hurler and a gentleman, then you
are deluded. So does it mean that any player who gets injured in a game is a result of dirty tactics? Ye had yere say on the William Spain sending off and that was it.
I will not stand for taking blame for Rory's injury. If there was a bad stroke it would be commented at the time, and he has been able to hurl away since. There will be plenty of Drumcullen supporters in Croke Park Sunday, but I for one am sick to the arse of this site and how low the tone has got. If you want to personally attack players or clubs, then be a man and sign your name after it.
Steady now, nowhere did anybody say it was deliberate.
No one would mind if the injury occurred during a fair, close championship club game - these things happen. Yet, when it happens as a result of needlessly dirty play, encouraged by the management, that continues when the result is beyond doubt then a certain amount of anger is justified towards Drumcullen's tactics. If somebody can give me a good reason beyond pettiness as to why those tactics were used then I'm all ears.

Think of it as speeding; nobody does it with the intention to cause harm and injury to others but when it happens 'the speeder' can hardly claim innocence and others certainly have a right to feel aggrieved.

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

As i said before i was at the game that evening in Banagher,I generally try to get to as many championship matches as possible,judging by the posts a lot of ye must have been there as well if Rory Hanniffy was struck malicously that evening surely a second Drumcullen player should have been sent off? Rory Hanniffy has been the best hurler in Offaly for a long time now and the loss he is for Offaly is awful. What the hell has the Offaly backroom team been at since the match that this wasnt looked after straight away he should have been sent for an MRI STRAIGHT AWAY if the xray was inconclusive it stinks of a job not being done right wud a player from Dublin Kilkenny Tipp or Cork be left waiting over two weeks to find out what was actually wrong? Just on the Drumcullen bashing that is going on it surely must have been a Drumcullen player that broke James Rigneys arm for the second time this year(no)perhaps every injury that occurs in Offaly is all down to Drumcullen? Injuries happen all the time some malicous and some accidental i for one think Rory's injury that evening was an accident.Just to be constantly sniping at one club seems a small bit petty to me,i have no connection to either Birr or Drumcullen and most certainly over the years Drumcullen have been involved in bad stuff but i remember Coolderry and Kinnity a few years ago having a mass brawl similar scenes between Birr and Ferbane/Belmont in an u21 final it happens such is the nature of some of these games that they can get out of hand,i'm not having a pop at any of the clubs i've mentioned above just trying to make the point that it happens to all clubs at some stage! Its a dangerous game slandering particular clubs constantly be careful guys!

southoffaly
Junior B
Club: birr

Post by southoffaly »

.hanniffy was on a solo run pass the drumcullen player when he got a snip across the hand , no attempt to play the ball , explain please where was the accident ( remember where ball on hurl and hanniffy hand and distance between the two ) . he was one of a few players to get the same snig , if the drumcullen crowd spent more time learning to hurl properly , there wouldnt be so much bitching about them , they only have themselfs to blame for their reputation so you can cut the slander crap .

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

alltheway wrote:I am so insensed at the minute. For any know it to hide behind a keyboard and slander a club consistently is wrong.
If you honestly believe that Drumcullen deliberatley hurt Rory Hanniffy....
The question is not did Drumcullen deliberately hurt Rory, the question is did they deliberately foul him in an attempt to make sure he got no further. You might foul somebody with no intention to hurt them, but you are still bringing a much greater risk of that into play. At least in football, you can "professional foul" in a cynical but non-dangerous fashion by rugby tackling a guy to the ground. I hate to see it, but the player fouled always gets up. If you're chasing after a guy and you swing the stick at his elbow or hand, you might be aiming for a dead ball and no injury, but you're taking the chance.

Again I stress I wasn't at this game between Birr and Drumcullen, but I remember several years ago when a different club in Offaly played senior for years and they were vicious at the time - it was Killavilla. I happily signed my name to it then, wrote several reports in the paper on matches they played where that came out and I don't retract it for a minute. I haven't seen them hurl in years now so I hope that's gone out of their game, and I bear no ill will towards the club itself, however there were individual players back then who had no regard for the safety of the opposition, and crucially there was a management team that encouraged that approach.

If Drumcullen's current management team is encouraging their players to stop the opposition from hurling by any means necessary, that doesn't mean their aim is to fill up the A&E ward in Tullamore, but neither does it make them anything other than a dirty team. Others who have seen more of Drumcullen than me have come to that conclusion, and I'll be very interested to see how things pan out in subsequent games for the Drummies, whether or not this is borne out.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

thegander
Junior C
Club: Coolderry

Post by thegander »

This is absolutely hilarious... Can I ask then who injured Paul Cleary, David Franks, Joe Brady , James Rigney etc... If Rory got injured on MAY 6TH then in the name of God why did he/county managament and physios wait until this weekend to get it X-rayed???? To blame Drumcullen is just crazy stuff - they are an small insignificant club yet they seem to generate a huge amount of comment on this site... Me thinks 'a great day for the parish' has a chip on his shoulder the size of Mount Everest!!!!!!!!!!!! The real question here is player responsibility - why did Rory wait till now to get it tended to?? My sources tell me he will be in a cast for 2 WEEKS- ie you moron blogger if it was looked at on the 7th May he would be mended now... But hey why let the facts get in the way of a good story... So cut out the rubbish posts its bitter people like you thats bringing Offaly back to the 1960's ... Grow up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fullbull
Junior C
Club: Tullamore

Post by Fullbull »

The issue is not whether he trained or not since, the issue is that he picked up a serious injury against Drumcullen which has caused him alot of discomfort and now he is going to miss the game he has been training for months for.

I am not going to mince my words, Drumcullen are nothing short of scumbags. How many games is it now we are reading reports of violence or verbal abuse from their players. It doesnt help the matter that their management team sets the tone for all this. Kirwan is an ignorant clown with a terrible manner whose main tactic is intimidation. Then you have another fat lad whoever he is jogging around the field shouting pull timber and thats censoring his actual words.

I have personally witnessed their players pull blatantly across players nowhere near the ball and on a few occasions they have tried giving the handle of the hurl to an opponents private area. That is a disgrace and its also very dangerous. Its only a matter of time before a player suffers a very serious injury. Is that what it will take for this to be put an end to.

It looks like they are safe from the relegation battle now but I really wouldnt be sad to see them gone. They are an absolute disgrace. And before anybody starts saying this incident has be blown out of proportion. It hasnt, its not about this incident, its about every dispicable act this club has been involved in.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

thegander wrote: If Rory got injured on MAY 6TH then in the name of God why did he/county managament and physios wait until this weekend to get it X-rayed???? The real question here is player responsibility - why did Rory wait till now to get it tended to?? My sources tell me he will be in a cast for 2 WEEKS- ie you moron blogger if it was looked at on the 7th May he would be mended now
The above is so hilariously misinformed/outright wrong - it's hard to believe.
Just to set the timeline straight on the injury and as I've heard this consistently from a few people, I take it to be true. I'll also make it simple for the masses as exemplified by the above.

1:Rory gets blow on hand during Drumcullen game.
2:Hand hurts.
3:X-Ray on hand within days.
4:X-Ray inconclusive. Told to see how it goes.
5:It goes not well for a couple of weeks - hand still sore/not improving.
6:Fancier scan than an x-ray this week - broken bone in hand confirmed.
7:Cast on this week.
8:Rory misses game on Sunday.
9:Sad faces in Offaly.

Hope that clears it up. And next time gander, get your facts straight before you mash the keyboard haphazardly and incorrectly blame a player for not geting an injury tended to quickly enough. Better to keep quiet and have people think you're a fool than to talk and confirm it for them.
And finally, no - even if it was tended to on May 7th there's every chance it would not be right by now. From what I can surmise, hand fractures are usually anything from 4-8 weeks. However, I'm willing to admit I'm not sure on that point. I'm no doctor and neither are you.

thegander
Junior C
Club: Coolderry

Post by thegander »

Ah bless you really love throwing your 'dummy' out of the pram dont ya ...........So basically Drumcullen are responsible for the fact that Rory first of all got injured(even though nobody remembers the blow and neither does Rory -if ya dont believe me ask him- so therefore if it wasnt memorable am thinking it wasnt dirty), then they are responsible that medical science cant diagnose a break for over 3 weeks and surprise surprise after training and hurling for the duration of this time frame the week it is diagnosed is the week of the game... Like I mentioned previously he will be in a cast for 2 weeks - FACT - so sounds like its not a major break and he will be back for qualifiers.. Now Mr Expert I suppose some secret Drumcullen players hurt James Rigney , Joe Brady, David Franks and Paul Cleary and then sneaked onto the pitch today and walloped Carroll on the ankle... You and your intelligent pal 'Fullbull' (check out the spellings in his post!!!) really have an axe to grind and its quite personal- as I previously said they are a small nothing club who are realistically there to make up the numbers but to constantly slag them off is tiresome.. Young Maher (wing froward for Sash has had his hand broken twice in 2years against Offaly Clubs by dirty ignorant strokes- but of course he is only a club player so lets not bleat about him)... Its a man's game injuries occur its sad but a fact. If you cant handle that go watch golf or cricket you bitter twisted lemon. Uibh Fhaili abu and Rory get well soon buddy

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Have to agree with comments here. The way Drumcullen players, officials and a minority of supporters carry on is terrible.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Lads there's a lot more to a club than the actions of a few people, and I'd suggest that is borne in mind.

For every hatchet man, there's another hurler who goes about his business and plays the game in the right spirit, but he gets forgotten about. The issue here is that some people believe there is tacit acceptance of unduly aggressive and dangerous play by Drumcullen management. Even if that is the case, and as I've said before I haven't seen enough of their hurling this year to say yes or no to that, that still doesn't justify rounding on the club as an entity, which like every other, is made up of a committee and volunteers doing their best to provide sport for the parish.

thegander wrote:.. Its a man's game injuries occur its sad but a fact. If you cant handle that go watch golf or cricket you bitter twisted lemon.
Thegander, you're doing your club no favours with that kind of attitude. Either this injury occurred as a result of a genuine attempt to legally play the ball by the Drumcullen defender, or it occurred as a result of a deliberate foul stroke designed to ensure Rory progressed no further.

99% of hurlers, footballers and supporters understand that the most honestly intended challenge can still result in injury - that's the risk we all take, and that's where the "man's game" aspect comes into it. There is nothing manly about pulling a hurl across a player because he's gone past you and he might score. That would be the complete opposite of manly as far as I'm concerned.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

faithful22
Junior C
Club: offaly

Post by faithful22 »

rory didnt break his hand against drumcullen...that was more than 3 weeks ago and he hurlin away with offaly since...didnt look broke against limerick.and since when does an xray not tell you if a bone is broken. the stuff ye put up here is funny boy!!