Offaly vs. Limerick NHL 28/03/2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Offaly vs. Limerick NHL 28/03/2010

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Allianz GAA Hurling National League Roinn I 2010 - Round 5
Uibh Fhaili V Luimneach
Time: 2 30 PM, Venue: Tullamore
Referee: Michael Haverty

Justin McCarthy to remain as Limerick manager

Limerick hurling manager Justin McCarthy has survived a vote of no-confidence and will remain on as manager remainder of the season.

One hundred and thirty-three votes were cast at the meeting. Eighty-three votes were in favour of McCarthy retaining his position.

Forty-seven votes were lodged for the motion and McCarthy to leave his role. Two votes were not returned and one vote was spoiled.

The vote to support McCarthy was even more emphatic than in the previous showdown before Christmas when a 70 against 53 tally was recorded.

Limerick take on Offaly in the national league in Tullamore on Sunday next.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championshi ... rick1.html

leinsterman
All Star

Re: Offaly vs. Limerick NHL 28/03/2010

Post by leinsterman »

Win this and its top division hurling again next year which will be great for offaly hurling.
the limerick saga is over justin is staying another year with limerick hurler's so 09 panel
won't be in tullamore on sunday.

limerick will be either fired up for this, or they could just come out and lie down like last
sunday again tipp. either way offaly should win handy enough on sunday.
our forward's seem to be coming into abit of form in the last two game's especially joe bergin and brian carroll, shane dooley won't have a bad day every day as in last saturday.

joe should be putting out his best side in the next few week's again tipp and waterford
the game in the leinster quarter-final in parnell park is not long away now, so he should be
getting a team plan together. there's a few player on the team that don't know where they
are playing week after week, james rigney is one he has played right and left corner back
right half back and midfield, oakley the same back's midfield,forward.

its time joe dooley pick a team he want's to put out in the championship or near enough
to it and play them in the next few game's left in the league to give them some form going
into the championship opener.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I've a bad feeling about this game. Limerick have been staying with teams for good periods of their opening games (i'm disregarding the Tipperary game as the red card really finished the game after 10mins). They led Galway at half time, were drawing with Waterford at half time and were not disgraced by Cork. I fear this game could open up into a loose shootout. We should have more than enough but we dont carry the favourites tag too well and I was in Ladbrokes in Tullamore today and nearly fell over when I was told Offaly are 1/40.....I'd like to hear LS comment on these odds. This is the Limerick team that will play in the championship and they have the cloud of doubt that was hanging over their and McCarthys head gone now after last nights vote. They will be fired up after the county has given them such a big backing. I expect we will win but it could be a close call that comes down to the wire!! Offaly by 4 or 5.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

what do i think of odds of 1/40, never saw a poor bookie .

if offaly can't beat that limerick team handy enough bye 7 or 8 points they can forget about it so. waterford,galway,cork, only put out second teams against them and were never in trouble in any of them game's.

our back's are hurling well this year can't see limerick getting a big score on sunday.if offaly
want to progress in hurling and get back to somewhere we were in the 80s and 90s
we have to go out and hammer limerick out the gate on sunday. there has to be players
going out on sunday with a point to prove to joe dooley that they should be there for the
championship if's there's not, and as bracknaghboy says he think's it will go to the wire
then we are at a thing called nothing.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

This won't be a gimme. Limerick will have targeted this game from a long way out as a possible win.
Against Tipp, they realistically didn't have much hope, but in their other games they've been more competitive.
Now is not the time for Offaly to start admiring a win over Dublin and a reasonably competitive display against Galway.

History could repeat itself. 4 years ago Limerick hurling was also on its knees when they came to Tullamore. They had just lost 2-21 to 0-10 to Clare - the game Davy Fitz was picked up on the mike yahooing at Limerick forwards.

Interestingly Haverty was reffing that game too, as he perfectly suits Limerick style of collision hurling. That day Offaly cantered into a 7 point lead and Limerick were dead but to be washed. However Haverty soon brought Limerick back to life with a string of soft technical frees.

He allows every sort of smash, barge and charge, but penalises anyone who so much as pokes a hurley in the direction of a loose ball. A fine example being the crucial free he gave to Waterford in 2008 when Joe Bergin flicked a dropping ball that was well over the head of his opponent.

POTH has called this one from a long way back and it could be a swing factor in a close game.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Bord na Mona man wrote:This won't be a gimme. Limerick will have targeted this game from a long way out as a possible win.
Against Tipp, they realistically didn't have much hope, but in their other games they've been more competitive.
Now is not the time for Offaly to start admiring a win over Dublin and a reasonably competitive display against Galway.

History could repeat itself. 4 years ago Limerick hurling was also on its knees when they came to Tullamore. They had just lost 2-21 to 0-10 to Clare - the game Davy Fitz was picked up on the mike yahooing at Limerick forwards.

Interestingly Haverty was reffing that game too, as he perfectly suits Limerick style of collision hurling. That day Offaly cantered into a 7 point lead and Limerick were dead but to be washed. However Haverty soon brought Limerick back to life with a string of soft technical frees.

He allows every sort of smash, barge and charge, but penalises anyone who so much as pokes a hurley in the direction of a loose ball. A fine example being the crucial free he gave to Waterford in 2008 when Joe Bergin flicked a dropping ball that was well over the head of his opponent.

POTH has called this one from a long way back and it could be a swing factor in a close game.
look at the limerick team that played four year's ago, people seem to forget something
this limerick team or players wouldn't be heard of it the 09 panel were hurling.

put it to you this way if last years offaly panel and this year's didn't hurl for offaly
what would dublin or limerick do with us, look if offaly get in hard to beat this limerick
team we are going know where fast. i also think this is one of the games joe dooley had
pencil in to win before the league started even if limerick had a full panel to pick from.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

BnMM has addressed the two big issues relating to Sunday’s match – it being Limerick’s chance of a win, and Michael Haverty.

It’s quite obvious that Limerick would have targeted this match for a win, and with teams tied on points being separated by the result between those two sides a win for Limerick might just be enough for their survival. This is their fifth match together and so they will be starting to gel. Forget the Tipperary result – that was typical Tipperary: beat them by as much as possible to show them who’s boss.

How would Offaly have coped with an early deficit against Limerick the way Galway had to? You’d wonder.

This Limerick team received a fillip during the week with the result of the vote down there. Picture the Limerick dressing room last Sunday evening: not knowing whether they’d play as a team ever again. Now they know they will be there for this year at least, and now there are championship places to play for.

In addition, given that Offaly prefer to cede possession to the other side, Limerick will see much more of the ball than they have hitherto. From TV highlights Nicky Quaid looks like a lad who can score from distance.

Don’t underestimate Justin McCarthy’s coaching influence either. He’s still one of the foremost hurling brains ever. By now he’ll be getting to know his best team, who he can depend on and who’s putting it in.

Then there’s Michael Haverty. Offaly’s favoured method in the tackle is to flick the ball away with the hurl which Haverty is particular about clamping down on. The best way to counteract this of course is to get to the ball first. Will Offaly do this though? Failing that, Offaly will need to be careful about how they tackle the Limerickmen.

It’s all down to Offaly – hit the ground running and keep running and they will secure the win. They simply can’t afford to allow Limerick to settle into this match at all. The track record when opposed by 'supposed lessers' doesn't inspire confidence though.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:with teams tied on points being separated by the result between those two sides a win for Limerick might just be enough for their survival
Yikes I thought it was decided on score difference.......this makes this game almost a straight shootout for survival. Limerick wont beat Kilkenny or Dublin I believe whilst I struggle to see our boys getting anything from their last 2 games either. Herbs sums it up perfectly in relation to Limerick coming to Tulamore with renewed expectation following the vote. A very big game for Offaly hurling indeed. D1 status is crucial.....look at Wexford in D2 now and humbled by Carlow last week and might not even make the final. Wexford will be in no position to challenge Galway in the summer, at least our boys will have had a few real games under their belts when (in all likelyhood) they tackle Galway in a leinster semi-final.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Bord na Mona man wrote: Justin McCarthy to remain as Limerick manager

Limerick hurling manager Justin McCarthy has survived a vote of no-confidence and will remain on as manager remainder of the season.

One hundred and thirty-three votes were cast at the meeting. Eighty-three votes were in favour of McCarthy retaining his position.

Forty-seven votes were lodged for the motion and McCarthy to leave his role. Two votes were not returned and one vote was spoiled.

The vote to support McCarthy was even more emphatic than in the previous showdown before Christmas when a 70 against 53 tally was recorded.

Limerick take on Offaly in the national league in Tullamore on Sunday next.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championshi ... rick1.html
Footage of the above meeting:
http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/webde ... 9a841.html

Daingean Exile
Junior A

Post by Daingean Exile »

Odd carry on down there in Limerick with junior and football dominated clubs voting to keep Justin McCarthy in charge. Was reading on another forum (Boards GAA) a few Limerick hurling fans think this Limerick B team actually have a chance against Offaly on Sunday. Actually feel sorry for Limerick hurling people with the mess their in but their own clubs are at fault I reckon, and Offaly should take full advantage and make them pay for their stupidity on Sunday. Anyway some of the Limerick hurling fans must think Offaly are a soft touch if they think their B team can beat Offaly in Tullamore. Joe Dooley should let the lads know all about it on Sunday and make sure and put this B team away - no mercy.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: This Limerick team received a fillip during the week with the result of the vote down there. Picture the Limerick dressing room last Sunday evening: not knowing whether they’d play as a team ever again. Now they know they will be there for this year at least, and now there are championship places to play for.
I think this factor is absolutely massive. Up until now, these lads were just keeping the jerseys warm for Hickey, Reale, Foley and all the rest - now they are the Limerick hurling team, the first choice. I expect a huge push from them on that basis and to be honest I think the odds are ludicrous. Offaly should win but when you factor in the motivation that Limerick will have and combine that with how poorly we perform when favourites and I think you've a recipe for disaster.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

when was it the last time this offaly team was favourites for any big match in the last few year's

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Footage of the above meeting:
http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/webde ... 9a841.html
Brilliant.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I heard the team on the wireless this evening:- Mullins; Franks, Kenny, Verney; Hayden, Cleary, Morkan, Hanniffy & Rigney; Currams, Joe Brady, Bergin; Carroll, Healion, Dooley.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I heard the team on the wireless this evening:- Mullins; Franks, Kenny, Verney; Hayden, Cleary, Morkan, Hanniffy & Rigney; Currams, Joe Brady, Bergin; Carroll, Healion, Dooley.
Hayden wing back again? Ah here, have they no ryme or reason? Thing is, given the opposition, he might very well play decent and the misguided experiment may be carried on to more important games.
As for both Joe Brady and Ger Healion in the forward line, folly. One at most and I personally wouldn't have either on my panel. 'Big men up front' to 'break it up' and 'stop the full/centre back from hurling' and do damn all else is Junior C tactics.

Anybody know the story with Stephen Egan is he still injured? And Derek Molloy?