Tommy Tiernan

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Loughers
All Star

Tommy Tiernan

Post by Loughers »

I see Tommy has outdone himself with his new material. I saw him a few weeks ago rehearsing this stuff in Galway and even before the Offaly stuff, it was muck. He's got to a stage in this country where he could fart for an hour and people would find it hilarious. From y'day's Independent.

Clowning around Tiernan brings Big Top down
Monday July 30 2007

RINGMASTER Tommy Tiernan brought the Big Top down as he played to a sell-out audience at one of the biggest comedy festivals of the year.

Tiernan displayed his trademark exuberance as the permanently foul-mouthed comedian let rip into Bono, Downs Syndrome children and Offaly on the final day of the Bud Light Revue in Dublin's Iveagh Gardens yesterday.

Mindful of the wash-out Irish summer, organisers had pitched four marquees around the city centre park. Although, for once, the massive crowds had to tear themselves away from glorious sunshine to take their seats under canvas.

"This is the opposite of Mass - whatever f***ing happens, happens," he told the crowd who had crammed into the circus tent to see his first Dublin gig in two years.

"We gather in the darkness to say what cannot be said in the daylight. Nothing said in the next hour can be used in the real world," he added.

From Downs Syndrome kids asking him if he was Mickey Joe Harte to the ancient Greek battle between Sparta and Centra, the Co Meath comedian had the audience in stitches throughout.

Funny

Although any Offaly natives may not have seen the funny side. "If you don't want immigrants to come to this country then the first place you should send them to is Offaly . . . there is nothing, nothing for human beings in Offaly. You can do suicide for the Leaving Cert," he ranted.

Tiernan was joined by over 50 of his fellow stand-up comics, including Des Bishop, Jason Byrne and Australian Steve Hughes, who was a big hit at last year's Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Emo Philips, considered to be the world's greatest joke writer, also played a number of shows.

Over 14,000 comedy fans attended more than 40 shows over the course of the weekend. Described as a "modern comedy carnival" it also featured performance artists, clowns, jugglers and stiltwalkers.

Festival director Bren Barry said: "We've tried to create something new here by combining all of the best elements we've seen at the top comedy festivals around the world.

"The comedians have all loved it and the feedback from the audiences has been fantastic." BREDA HEFFERNAN
Esto Fidelis

Sydthebeat
All Star

Post by Sydthebeat »

i had the displeasure of seeing him live at the electric picnic 2 years ago.... he is absolute shite!!!!

he appeals to the lowest common denominator ignorant racist 'oirish thicko'.....

on before him that day was Jason byrne who is a million times better.....

Fuck off back to Navan ya unfunny grey cnut face....

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Innovation certainly went out the window with him a long time ago. The emporor has had no clothes on for a while as material has been replaced by wild screaming and stomping around the stage, while he observes things which are quite mundane.

Lad I worked with went to school with both himself and Hector in Pat's in Navan. Apparently the same Tommy was quare introverted in school, nobody really picked out the career line he was going to follow - obviously the switch to Garbally made a savage difference.

I do think the cupboard is bare at this stage though. Well behind the likes of Dylan Moran and Dara O'Brian imho anyway.

sin01
Junior A

Post by sin01 »

I have to admit, i was a fan of Tommy Tiernan :oops: But after the offaly thing at the iveagh gardens over the weekend, i wouldn't be in hurry to see him!

How come other "navan"men eg: Hector is alot more amusing and no racist at all.

I must admit, Neil Delamare, is very funny, everytime i see him im in stitches :lol:

Nothing beats a good auld offaly comedian!!!! :lol: :lol:

peter
Junior A

Post by peter »

Never liked his coke fuelled rants that is passed as comedy. Think there is way to much hype about him.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Jesus lads I'd be a big fan of his!

His early stuff had me in tears laughing, granted his newer stuff isn't as good but I would still call it funny.

Mind you in saying that I haven't heard his latest batch of stuff but I'm not one to give out about the material used in a comic's set. I like to take the South Park view on this which is "either all of it is up for ridicule or none of it is"

Its funny you mention Neil Delamare (by far my favourite comedian even with the county allegiance) the first time I saw him back in 2002 he did a great skit about the special Olympics and how the Bosnia Herzegovina Team was being sent to Edenderry. Quality stuff
The night is darkest before the dawn

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

TheManFromFerbane wrote: I like to take the South Park view on this which is "either all of it is up for ridicule or none of it is"
Good line. I might just have to steal it.

To be fair, I don't think anyone here or elsewhere would care about him picking on Offaly if the stuff was actually well observed or funny. I think the point about Tommy is that he says things in that half enthusiastic/half sarcastic way of his, and for some reason people lap it up as funny even though if somebody else said the same thing exactly the same way they wouldn't. I haven't heard any of this sketch myself, but I've heard him pick on other places before, like Ballinasloe where he went to school. The point is that he doesn't actually observe anything about Ballinasloe - he just names it in such a way that the crowd laughs along, as if it's all one big in joke that nobody wants to admit to not seeing the punchline on.

I don't want to comment on the suicide stuff without hearing it, but if I was forced to hazard a guess, you could interchange any other rural county and it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference. Hence the feeling that he's lazy and trading off the fact that people found him funny before, and as such assume he is all along.

Lea-Bally-man
Junior A

Post by Lea-Bally-man »

I think his earlier stuff was funny but nowadays I can safely say he’s jumped the shark! Pardon the Pun!

http://www.jumptheshark.com
BA

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Tommy Tiernan he just goes out on stage roaring! rubbish!!

And a few sentences i saw two words less funny - Des Bishop!!

Tom
County player

Post by Tom »

TheManFromFerbane wrote: I like to take the South Park view on this which is "either all of it is up for ridicule or none of it is"
I definitely agree. I mean, just coz he insulted Offaly, we all get up in a huff. He's very funny, and if we'd seen this show and he'd used another county instead of Offaly, i'd say no-one here would have batted an eyelid and everyone would have found it funny.

sin01
Junior A

Post by sin01 »

I know they say sacarism is the lowest form of wit, but personally i think, insulting is lower!! i see him slagging off his own county, Meath.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Lads, no need to get all militant islamic about this.
There are no sacred cows.

Personally I don't find T Tiernan funny at all, but like beauty, humour is in the eye or ear of the beholder. Obviously a lot of people do appreciate his style of humour, so more luck to anyone who has the balls to stand up in front of an audience and makes a living from it.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

As a rule, I'm very liberal minded, and a comedian is a comedian, he tells jokes, so I don't get very upset about the content.
Tiernan has done some of the best gags/sketches/jokes I have heard in ages but he also does some dull pointless crap as well.

Good in small doses I say.