U-21 Final vs Laois

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

U-21 Final vs Laois

Post by Lone Shark »

There’s an unwritten rule when writing about underage teams - that under no circumstances can there be any direct criticism. Nine times out of ten that’s fair enough, because as a rule whatever else you can say about kids, they certainly put their heart and soul into games and any falling short of what is required is never due to a lack of effort. That still leaves that one time in ten when you come across that selfish full forward who takes every shot himself, or the midfielder who pushes forward but never tracks back, but in the interests of allowing kids to learn for themselves, it’s left unsaid and praise is dished out where possible.

At Under 21 the gloves come off, and criticism becomes legitimate once again – these are adults now after all. This is ironic, because in the case of our current Under 21 footballers, no true supporter could, or would want to, give them anything but the highest of praise. If they go no further in their GAA careers than they have so far, this current band of players have served their county very well. Since 1995, the last time Offaly put together a good run at this grade, many teams have come and gone, several of them heavily laden with potential, only for them to slip up early on in this competition.

In the last two years most of these players have played on one or both of the minor teams that reached two Leinster Finals and one All Ireland semi final, teams that always put 100% into every game they played and got their just rewards with a string of narrow hard fought victories. This character and determination has now been carried onto the Under 21 stage, where they have again defied expectation by edging out fancied sides from Longford and Meath as well as emerging victorious from a rough and tumble clash with Carlow. Once again they face into a game where on paper they look outgunned by an altogether more powerful Laois outfit, even though one suspects that if Laois are to justify their prohibitively short odds of 2/5 to lift the Leinster trophy (source: Ladbrokes) they certainly won’t have an easy ride.

The potential suspension of Brendan Quigley may yet prove crucial, but GAA rules and appeals processes being as they are, we won’t rule him out until it’s confirmed. Last week’s attempts to suggest that he might run off to Australia again if his ban is not rescinded suggests that no stone will be left unturned in the efforts to get the Timahoe man on to the field. If he plays, he represents a challenge that Offaly look ill-equipped to match. In Conor Mahon and Niall Smith Offaly have two fine ball playing midfielders, Mahon’s 1-2 against Meath showing just why he’s well worth his place, but neither the Kilcormac nor the Gracefield man would come close to Quigley for pure fielding, and this forces the Offaly management to plan in terms of breaking ball and sweeping up the pieces, never a manager’s first choice.

With Laois likely to secure at least a fair share of possession at midfield, the attention turns to the clash of the Laois full forward line and the Offaly full backs. This clash is a microcosm of the game as a whole, with the star quality of the Laois trio squaring up to an Offaly combination that has played together cohesively and effectively for almost five years. Donie Brennan will be the name most well known to Offaly followers, but he represents only one third of what constitutes a fantastic attacking trio. MJ Tierney is their top scorer, operating out of the right corner, while David Conway had a superb Sigerson campaign with NUI Galway – his 1-7 against Athlone IT will no doubt be fresh in the memory of several of the Offaly players. By contrast, the unit of Grehan, Dalton and Byrne will not be well known outside the county, but they know each other’s play inside out, and the lack of a goal against the team in three games so far is a testament to their defensive stickiness.

Individual clashes aside, this still represents a great chance for these players to secure the Leinster medals their efforts so far have warranted. That they have improved is beyond question – for an example of that one needs to look no further than Paul McConway. In 2004 he played in goals for Offaly’s minors, on Saturday evening he will anchor the team from centre back, by now without question one of the stars of this team and a guaranteed starter, barring injury, in this summer’s senior championship team.

Any national papers who see fit to preview this game will no doubt look at the big names involved in both sides, make reference to how the local rivalry will keep it close, but eventually give their verdict to Laois saying how their clash should out in the end. Offaly supporters know that this may indeed happen, but the committed level of performance that we have come to expect from this group of players adds more than a degree of uncertainty, and if the odds are upset on Saturday night, it’ll be no more than they deserve.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

This is the article (Hogan Stand) that brought the Quigley issue to my attention. I see in the absence of grounds for appeal Laois are going down the road of emotional blackmail instead. Let the man off or he'll go Australia. Perhaps this didn't come from a county board source, but it's a cheap trick from whoever inspired it.

Laois face the prospect of losing star midfielder Brendan Quigley to Australian Rules for a second time following reports that he was approached by two separate clubs this week.

And Laois chiefs fear that the four-week suspension that is currently hanging over the Timahoe player will help him to make up his mind. Quigley was sent off after being involved in a melee during last Saturday’s NFL win over Armagh, and is expected to miss next Sunday’s Leinster under 21 final against Offaly as well as the knock-out stages of the NFL should Laois qualify.

Quigley was recruited along with fellow 2003 All-Ireland minor winner Colm Begley by the Brisbane Lions at the end of 2005, but did not settle in Australia and returned home after a few months. He is said to be deeply disillusioned with this latest twist in his GAA career.

BUFFALO
County player

U21 Final agin' Laois

Post by BUFFALO »

Shur Quigley fecked off down under with Begley a couple of years ago, and he wasn’t able for it, said he was home sick and came home. So any rumours of him going back are purely fabricated to coerce the GAA into rescinding his suspension. ALLEZ.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Yeah, I hope those kind of fake tears don't fool anybody!
As pointed out, Quigley's (or the "cute hoors" instructing him) bluff doesn't stand up to much scrutiny.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Changed times indeed. Offaly have had good runs at minor and now U21, but you wouldn't necessarily say these teams are made up of several individuals who will make a big impact senior.
As stated, in previous years Offaly U21s have had more big name players in the team and yet went almost 10 years without recording a single championship victory.

A lot of the current success is down to being very well drilled and very determined. I wonder do younger managers such as Phil O'Reilly and Tom Coffey get more out of underage players because their isn't a generation gap?

So far it is pleasing that there hasn't been noises coming from Offaly GAA followers looking for the blanket promotion of the last couple of minor teams to senior level. Supporters seem to be more realistic. You'd hate to be managing Roscommon for example, with their public now bloated on expectation and baying for the the mass transplant of last year's minor team onto the senior panel.

The U21 will hopefully serve its purpose and further develop our young players and perhaps be the bridge between and minor and senior for a few of them.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I see that nobody down in Laois was listening to the Ken Casey affair - apparently they are separate grades all over again. I notice they don't say what grounds Quigley is appealing on either - just a shot in the dark it appears.

Laois chiefs are confident that star midfielder Brendan Quigley will be cleared to play in Saturday’s Leinster under 21 football final against Offaly at Portlaoise.

The Timahoe clubman, who has attracted the interest of AFL club scouts in recent weeks, could be eligible to line-out even if the outcome of Friday night’s appeal against his sending off in last Saturday week’s NFL Division 1B clash with Armagh isn’t successful.

Quigley was issued with a straight red card by Roscommon referee Declan Hunt after a first half brawl involving up to 20 players. He will be accompanied to Friday’s Hearing Committee’s meeting in Kilkenny by a county board official.

Laois will argue that Quigley’s four-week suspension should not apply to the under 21 grade, which would allow him to play against the Faithful County.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Team named:

D Bracken; G Grehan, R Dalton, E Byrne; S Lonergan, P McConway, J Keane; N Smith, C Mahon; N Darby, R Connor, S Ryan; W Mulhall, T Coughlan, K Casey.

No huge surprises, though Alan Lynam can consider himself unlucky. All that said, I'd say if forced to choose myself, I'd probably have come to the same conclusion.

Really looking forward to this now myself. Some weekend in store.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Just noticed the time for the game Saturday, 6:30. This is a killer of a time for a game on a Saturday evening for the players. I hate these times as you have no idea what to do all day, ya can't go out an lift a hunderd bales of hay but still ya can't stay inside watching the TV all day. The you don't know when to eat, what to eat etc. I hope management will have them in for a bit of a kick around in the afternoon, bit of grub around 3 and then head off to the match.

Anyone else hate this time as a player? Always hated Saturday evening games, only good thing was ye'd go on a right good rip after. Let's hope it around the pubs in Tullamore Saturday fill a Cup.

Best of luck all involved.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Muck Savage wrote:Just noticed the time for the game Saturday, 6:30. This is a killer of a time for a game on a Saturday evening for the players. I hate these times as you have no idea what to do all day, ya can't go out an lift a hunderd bales of hay but still ya can't stay inside watching the TV all day. The you don't know when to eat, what to eat etc. I hope management will have them in for a bit of a kick around in the afternoon, bit of grub around 3 and then head off to the match.

Anyone else hate this time as a player? Always hated Saturday evening games, only good thing was ye'd go on a right good rip after. Let's hope it around the pubs in Tullamore Saturday fill a Cup.

Best of luck all involved.
I always prefer morning games, or weekday evenings games myself.
If you're playing Sunday afternoon, it takes up your whole day.
You can't do much in the morning and by the time you have gotten home from that game, it's well into the evening.
Get your game played by lunch and you have a clear run at the day!

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

Apparently Quigley has got the all clear to play tomorrow night.
Any views?
I think myself Offaly have the edge in terms of players with senior experience which has to count for something.
Home advantage could be a help for us but I have a feeling that we are a long way poorer than last year's winning team. The bookies have Laois strong favourites which I am slightly surprised at.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/sport/story. ... 83zx&t=gaa

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

Quigley cleared to play in under 21 final
13 April 2007

Laois star Brendan Quigley has had his four-week suspension lifted ahead of Saturday’s Leinster under 21 final against midland rivals Offaly in Portlaoise.

The Timahoe midfielder, who has been linked with a possible return to Aussie Rules football in recent weeks, received a straight red card in a NFL game against Armagh on March 31 and was forced to sit out last Sunday’s final Division 1B match against Kildare at Newbridge.

Quigley was reported for ’contributing to a melee’ which earned him a minimum four-week ban, but Laois officials maintained that his involvement was minor and a hearing at Croke Park on Thursday night freed him to play on the basis of video evidence.

Quigley’s availability for Saturday’s game is a huge boost to the O’Moore County who are aiming to put provincial under 21 titles back-to-back. It will also come as a huge relief to Laois football fans who had feared that the recent turn of events might result in the player returning to Australia and linking up once again with fellow Laois man Colm Begley at the Brisbane Lions

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

That is a big turnaround, but in fairness it's always the way with these things. It does give Laois a big boost, but I still think the game will be won in the Offaly full backs vs Laois full forwards battle. Our half back line has been outstanding so far, and I've have faith that they'll severely restrict the amount of slower running ball that will make it's way through, which means it'll be more about longer ball and how our backs manage to restrict the Laois forwards.

That said, the favourites tag has to be on Laois, and the early money, even at 8/15, is on them too.

fatlad
Intermediate

Post by fatlad »

What are the full odds on the u21 final and what shops are quoting?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I (Ladbrokes) have priced it up @

4/9 Leix 15/2 Draw 9/4 Offaly

Or to lift the trophy

4/11 Leix 2/1 Offaly

Powers are slightly better price on Laois, worse on Offaly. Boyles 8/15 Laois is the best price out there if you want to back them. No idea with the independents, but then they'll only copy the bigger firms anyway.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Quigley's red card offence, which he received against Armagh in last month's NFL encounter at Portlaoise, was last night quashed after the GAA failed to produce sufficient video evidence.
I thought these things were supposed to go by the referees report and then if there was sufficent video evidence to prove the ref wrong then over turn the ruling. This was the other way around.

Apart from his catch at the end he was pretty anonymus though so no real complaints as far as the game goes.[/quote]