Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Doon Exile
All Star

Re: Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

Post by Doon Exile »

Glendassaun wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:24 am There's a sense going into this game, based off some of the comments, that we're near rank outsiders for this contest. While nobody can deny the tradition that Kilkenny bring to the table more recent form at underage would suggest that such a side is far from infallible.

Tradition when it comes to underage hurling, or any sport for that matter is rather irrelevant. What's most pertinent is recent history, which on the balance of the past couple of seasons would favour Offaly. We mustn't forget, as if we could, that we are in fact the reigning Leinster champions, having overcome a Wexford team who beat Kilkenny in last years Leinster Semi Final. Okay, anyone who watched that game would have noticed some dubious refereeing decisions which went against Kilkenny in the later stages of that game, but that's been consigned to the past now.

We laud the great St Kieran's side that have won numerous colleges titles in the past couple of years, but we seem to overlook the significance of the fact that an Offaly schools side, backboned by a core group of this U20 side went to Kilkenny and in the hallowed ground of Nowlan Park beat a much fancied Kilkenny side, and would have won the All Ireland title were it not for the rule against an amalgamated side going forward in the All Ireland series, a rule somewhat laughable when one considers the spread of clubs available to St Kierans, who themselves are a county team in all but name.

If I were objectively looking on in any other sport and noticed that the reigning champions were about to face up to a team of contenders, a team who hasn't played in almost six weeks, whose players have been training, but haven't seen competitive game time since early April and who are playing a side who are entering top form in front of a packed out home venue, then the only logical conclusion I could draw would be that I'd rather be in the position of the home side with each of those considerable advantages stacked in my favour.

Don't get me wrong I'm far from naïve. I'm well aware that this will be the toughest game this side has faced since playing Cork in last years All Ireland Final, I'm well aware that Kilkenny have a fantastic side and have a panel of players who can each cause a potent threat, and I'm well aware that much of this Kilkenny side won All Ireland's at colleges level, and as Minors with Kilkenny. But crucially I'm walking into O'Connor Park tomorrow with a sense of pride, knowing that this team can look any side in the eye and confidently say "if we play to our potential then we can compete and win".

Let's pack out O'Connor Park tomorrow, let's get behind our side right from the off and lets make sure Kilkenny are well aware that this side is going to cause serious problems for Kilkenny, not just tomorrow at U20 level, but in 3-5 years time at Senior Level also.
👏👏 well said. I’m fully with you on all of this. I’m going tomorrow confident of getting the win.
Doon exile....

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

👍🏻 COME ON OFFALY!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Glendassaun wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:24 am There's a sense going into this game, based off some of the comments, that we're near rank outsiders for this contest. While nobody can deny the tradition that Kilkenny bring to the table more recent form at underage would suggest that such a side is far from infallible.

Tradition when it comes to underage hurling, or any sport for that matter is rather irrelevant. What's most pertinent is recent history, which on the balance of the past couple of seasons would favour Offaly. We mustn't forget, as if we could, that we are in fact the reigning Leinster champions, having overcome a Wexford team who beat Kilkenny in last years Leinster Semi Final. Okay, anyone who watched that game would have noticed some dubious refereeing decisions which went against Kilkenny in the later stages of that game, but that's been consigned to the past now.

We laud the great St Kieran's side that have won numerous colleges titles in the past couple of years, but we seem to overlook the significance of the fact that an Offaly schools side, backboned by a core group of this U20 side went to Kilkenny and in the hallowed ground of Nowlan Park beat a much fancied Kilkenny side, and would have won the All Ireland title were it not for the rule against an amalgamated side going forward in the All Ireland series, a rule somewhat laughable when one considers the spread of clubs available to St Kierans, who themselves are a county team in all but name.

If I were objectively looking on in any other sport and noticed that the reigning champions were about to face up to a team of contenders, a team who hasn't played in almost six weeks, whose players have been training, but haven't seen competitive game time since early April and who are playing a side who are entering top form in front of a packed out home venue, then the only logical conclusion I could draw would be that I'd rather be in the position of the home side with each of those considerable advantages stacked in my favour.

Don't get me wrong I'm far from naïve. I'm well aware that this will be the toughest game this side has faced since playing Cork in last years All Ireland Final, I'm well aware that Kilkenny have a fantastic side and have a panel of players who can each cause a potent threat, and I'm well aware that much of this Kilkenny side won All Ireland's at colleges level, and as Minors with Kilkenny. But crucially I'm walking into O'Connor Park tomorrow with a sense of pride, knowing that this team can look any side in the eye and confidently say "if we play to our potential then we can compete and win".

Let's pack out O'Connor Park tomorrow, let's get behind our side right from the off and lets make sure Kilkenny are well aware that this side is going to cause serious problems for Kilkenny, not just tomorrow at U20 level, but in 3-5 years time at Senior Level also.
Greatest 1st post in the history of Uibhfhaili.com.

COME ON OFFALY!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

frankthetank wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:06 pm

Up there with the best of them, absolutely. I remember Silken Thomas coming storming out of the blocks too (https://www.uibhfhaili.com/phpbb3/viewt ... 485#p12485) but the uibhfhaili.com underage system seems to have thrown up a potential All Star here... :D
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

That Silken Thomas post is Qual A TEE

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Glendassaun has done a great job with his very informative preview.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow evening. Hopefully we'll see O'Connor Park thronged with Offaly people.
If it's a tight game, a good Offaly support can become a factor. Thousands of Offaly people willing the team on, vs a few dozen Kilkenny lads with their brown Sunday jumpers tucked into their brown trousers. We can't lose!

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Galway are now only 4 point favourites against Dublin in the other semi final.
They went off as 8 point favourites in the group and beat Dublin by 16.
Priced at 1/3 to win tonight.

This comes on the back of Galway team news, revealing their 2 talisman forwards Darren Shaughnessy and Aaron Niland miss out.

Dublin will fancy themselves in O’Moore Park tonight.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:57 am Galway are now only 4 point favourites against Dublin in the other semi final.
They went off as 8 point favourites in the group and beat Dublin by 16.
Priced at 1/3 to win tonight.

This comes on the back of Galway team news, revealing their 2 talisman forwards Darren Shaughnessy and Aaron Niland miss out.

Dublin will fancy themselves in O’Moore Park tonight.

No doubt they are big losses but Galway will win that comfortably. Dublin aren't all that great, think they were flattered to be in within a point if us, true Galway form beat them easily, they struggled over wexford who drew with laois and were easily beaten by Kilkenny. I don't think Dublin will pose much of a problem for Galway. Offaly have much better chance of an upset. Form lines are looking decent for us and big home crowd will help, at the same time you'd assume the cats were just purring along until now. The biggest concern tonight is the goals, kilkenny clearly have an eye for goal and we have conceded a few that you would put in the soft category, if we can stifle their goal threat it would be a big help. If they are going for goals and we stop a few it will give us a lift. These are a great bunch and hopefully get a bit of luck tonight now aswell. Future is bright either way.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

A lot of commenters on the Kilkenny GAA forum saying that senior management and the county board were unaware that the new 60-hour rule is not yet in place and that Doyle would be ineligible for this evening. It was discussed at a KK county board meeting last night.
What makes it all the more comical is that senior manager Lyng is a clubmate of Doyle and is best friends with his father.

Rumour from a Kilkenny colleague is that Ivan Bolger will pick up Screeney, which is not viewed as the wisest choice.
Rory Glynn starts for Kilkenny. For anyone who watched this year's schools all Ireland, this is the chap who scored 0-04 from corner forward. I say chap because for once Adam Screeney won't be the lightest lad on the pitch. He is a very skilful hurler who had missed this year's u20 up to now with injury.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Any word on our team.
Doon exile....

Faithfully
Intermediate

Post by Faithfully »

Doon Exile wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:07 pm Any word on our team.
Same as the last day
Attachments
20240515_125952.jpg
20240515_125952.jpg (226.91 KiB) Viewed 699 times

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

frankthetank wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:08 pm That Silken Thomas post is Qual A TEE
Silken Thomas had some great content on this forum, but Offaly's Future lives long in the memory.

He retired young after going for the heavyweight belt a couple of times.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

The Magpie wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:49 pm
frankthetank wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:08 pm That Silken Thomas post is Qual A TEE
Silken Thomas had some great content on this forum, but Offaly's Future lives long in the memory.

He retired young after going for the heavyweight belt a couple of times.
Lads like Offaly's Future combust rather than retire!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Lone Shark wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:36 pm
frankthetank wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:06 pm
Up there with the best of them, absolutely. I remember Silken Thomas coming storming out of the blocks too (https://www.uibhfhaili.com/phpbb3/viewt ... 485#p12485) but the uibhfhaili.com underage system seems to have thrown up a potential All Star here... :D
As debut posts go, Offaly legend Tony McTague must be up there. He made what seemed like an off the cuff remark about counties needing to amalgamate, which was picked up in the national media.
He then came along here to join the debate with a very detailed blueprint.

https://www.uibhfhaili.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=6493

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Going to be a long second half…..
Doon exile....