Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

Post by biffinbanner »

the lowest point ever in offaly football in my lifetime .and im around a good while.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

JimBwobb wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:24 pm
joey1001 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:35 am All quiet on this front for what is the start of out all Ireland at this time.. its been a very good year so far, a good league campaign confirmed having watched the performances of Down, Sligo Clare and wicklow in the championship to date. A big comfortable win in first round of leinster and a lot of positives from the dublin game. Let's hope we show up today with purpose and put London away convincingly, we should be able to get some time into some fringe players aswell during a group stage where we should have 2 comfortable wins (the limerick game will be much different than the league game) and have a right crack at Down, I think this team will go for this championship this year.

Well Joey, 8 points down to London with 8 minutes to go.

How convincing and comfortable is this ? :lol
Really? I didn't think you'd come back to say i told you so, SMH.. my point was if we went for it then we should won convincingly, that hasn't changed, we were 1/50 to win the game and should have won convincingly, simple as that..the problem is we haven't gone for it and haven't bothered with it yet again, I genuinely thought we would do when I heard declan Kelly talking about it.. unfortunately like a lot of our supporters were offaly are living in by gone day's and the year ends with defeat in leinster when in fact it should start at that point.. time to wake up and realise where we are and the importance of the TC.. not bothering with it after 2 years of big leinster performances is setting us back and keeping us where we are and that's a shame for a team that has such potential.. wins in leinster over the last 2 years against laois meath and Longford along with defeat to wexford and London in TC tells the whole story really!

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Why aren't they players "going" for it? Maybe this us our level.......

Embarrassing, laughing stock of the country now for the weekend.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:26 pm
joey1001 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:35 am All quiet on this front for what is the start of out all Ireland at this time.. its been a very good year so far, a good league campaign confirmed having watched the performances of Down, Sligo Clare and wicklow in the championship to date. A big comfortable win in first round of leinster and a lot of positives from the dublin game. Let's hope we show up today with purpose and put London away convincingly, we should be able to get some time into some fringe players aswell during a group stage where we should have 2 comfortable wins (the limerick game will be much different than the league game) and have a right crack at Down, I think this team will go for this championship this year.
Well Joey, was that convincing enough for you?
Imagine supporting London against your own county so you can come back here before the match is even over to say I told you so and make a point. You're an absolute disgrace and regardless of how bad offaly were today I don't think anyone would disagree. Please stop quoting me I've already told you I don't want to engage with you!

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

JimBwobb wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:34 pm Why aren't they players "going" for it? Maybe this us our level.......

Embarrassing, laughing stock of the country now for the weekend.
I don't know, I don't think it's just the players I'd say it's the whole set up.. my guess is they don't want to play it it and think they are above it or they simply don't value it, maybe they want back with their clubs.. losing to london is not our level and we've shown that this year.. like I said our league form and win against laois is a million miles beyond this and our league form has been seriously boosted over the last few weeks.. we simply didnt prepare or bother with today!
Last edited by joey1001 on Sat May 11, 2024 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Where do you even begin with that. Losing is one thing. But to let London score the thick end of 30 points in your back yard is bordering on P45 sort of stuff for the management team.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

joey losing to london by 14 pts is unacceptable by a long long way interested or not? id say tullamore rhode or ferbane would beat london. no disrespect to london..

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:37 pm Where do you even begin with that. Losing is one thing. But to let London score the thick end of 30 points in your back yard is bordering on P45 sort of stuff for the management team.
If Kelly has any pride he’ll do the honourable thing and resign tonight.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

I would normally urge rationality but theres no way mick duignan is watching that and letting that be the note his tenure ends on as the head of the county board

As for the other comments. Wherever players sense of superiority is coming from I don’t know. Most of them have hardly played a game of club football in Leinster let alone have stashes of club championships, they’d want to waken up to reality a bit.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

biffinbanner wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:39 pm joey losing to london by 14 pts is unacceptable by a long long way interested or not? id say tullamore rhode or ferbane would beat london. no disrespect to london..
And did I say anywhere that it was acceptable? I said we should comfortably beat and the fact that you say some clubs would beat them means you agree.. the only we way lose to London is we don't prepare or we don't try.. once you don't prepare or don't try then you can lose to London by 1 point or 14 it makes no difference, once you're not bothered a game will get away from you either way.. anything less than a comfortable win today meant we didn't bother.. even a one point win would have meant the same thing to be honest.. can't put it all the management here, the players obviously haven't bothered but that's been the case with every bunch of players for 20 years now for whatever reason!!

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

Declan Kelly should be rightfully lauded for the under 20 win but he cannot remain on as manager after that. Since he became director of football, our underage has fallen to arguably the worst in Leinster and our senior team conceded 2-20 to a team who hadn’t won a championship game in 11 years.

A whole root and branch review of football in the county needs to be done asap, starting with the ridiculous format of our club championships along with forcing kids as young as 12 to focus solely on Gaelic games. It’s beyond crazy what has happened in the last few years

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

joey1001 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 am
ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:04 am How will Limerick game be much different as a matter of interest? We fell over the line and down there they will get stuck into us big ssshtyle. Have we got the belly for it. We were awful in that game after dominating for good spells, and near the end there was more interest in what was happening in Antrim that day.
It will take a big change in past atitudes to make progress in this competition, best of luck to the lads, get over the line today and then tear into Limerick and we will be fine.
The team has shown how capable it is and if we go for it, I see us with comfortable wins against London and Limerick and have a proper crack at Down. This is a good team and there is a lot more to come, we'll see a couple more all Ireland u20s next year again I expect and there's definitely 3 from this years u20 who will add strongly to the squad next year and after. We'll start with the big win today, hon offaly.
As I write this, we are 2-20 to 12 points down to London with time up - a 14 point loss. This is Londons first championship win in 11 years! Not wanting to sound alarmist but, THIS IS NOT GOOD!!! This is in fact a disgrace! I could somehow bare losing a tight game to London by a point or two as they are not the worst team in Div 4 but not this!

There are many on here bigging up the virtues of this U20 team and how they will change Offaly going forward and have been doing for few years. It is a delusional argument. There are probably 4 or 5 from that team who will be good enough at the most for senior. That is doing well. And I emphasise 'will be' because some of them are not there yet. Is this the best we can do against London after training since last September with a fortune pumped into resource the team? There is something amiss lads and dont give us the bulsh*t that they are young, they are 'in transition'. Every team is in transition. This was London.

Personally, I thought the Dublin performance was poor but with all the 'positivity' floating around, didnt want to say so. There were seriously bad vibes around the squad last Jan- March for whatever reasons I dont know. It appears there are serious flaws there and despite the Laois result (which was very good to be fair), we have not really performed all that well this year.

I am not looking to throw management under bus here as Kelly has given a lot to Offaly GAA in recent times, but if this was anyone else in charge, there would be outrage. There should be outrage! This is like dropping back to Christy Ring in Hurling. Serious questions have to be asked about both management and the team after this result and it might not mean getting rid of management. It might be what needs to be added tweaked or changed to improve things so this doesnt happen again.

Joey, you simply cannot explain this away and I am not here to be part of the 'I told you so brigade'

It is the worst Offaly result in championship in my lifetime, possibly in the history of Offaly GAA! It is disgusting! Horrific!
jimbob

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:48 pm
biffinbanner wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:39 pm joey losing to london by 14 pts is unacceptable by a long long way interested or not? id say tullamore rhode or ferbane would beat london. no disrespect to london..
And did I say anywhere that it was acceptable? I said we should comfortably beat and the fact that you say some clubs would beat them means you agree.. the only we way lose to London is we don't prepare or we don't try.. once you don't prepare or don't try then you can lose to London by 1 point or 14 it makes no difference, once you're not bothered a game will get away from you either way.. anything less than a comfortable win today meant we didn't bother.. even a one point win would have meant the same thing to be honest.. can't put it all the management here, the players obviously haven't bothered but that's been the case with every bunch of players for 20 years now for whatever reason!!
The buck stops with the management especially if the players don’t try or weren’t prepared.

It was the same last year with Martin Murphy but to be fair to him it never got anywhere near this bad. He walked the plank, Kelly should follow suit.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

jimbob17 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:52 pm
ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:04 am How will Limerick game be much different as a matter of interest? We fell over the line and down there they will get stuck into us big ssshtyle. Have we got the belly for it. We were awful in that game after dominating for good spells, and near the end there was more interest in what was happening in Antrim that day.
It will take a big change in past atitudes to make progress in this competition, best of luck to the lads, get over the line today and then tear into Limerick and we will be fine.
The team has shown how capable it is and if we go for it, I see us with comfortable wins against London and Limerick and have a proper crack at Down. This is a good team and there is a lot more to come, we'll see a couple more all Ireland u20s next year again I expect and there's definitely 3 from this years u20 who will add strongly to the squad next year and after. We'll start with the big win today, hon offaly.
As I write this, we are 2-20 to 12 points down to London with time up - a 14 point loss. This is Londons first championship win in 11 years! Not wanting to sound alarmist but, THIS IS NOT GOOD!!! This is in fact a disgrace! I could somehow bare losing a tight game to London by a point or two as they are not the worst team in Div 4 but not this!

There are many on here bigging up the virtues of this U20 team and how they will change Offaly going forward and have been doing for few years. It is a delusional argument. There are probably 4 or 5 from that team who will be good enough at the most for senior. That is doing well. And I emphasise 'will be' because some of them are not there yet. Is this the best we can do against London after training since last September with a fortune pumped into resource the team? There is something amiss lads and dont give us the bulsh*t that they are young, they are 'in transition'. Every team is in transition. This was London.

Personally, I thought the Dublin performance was poor but with all the 'positivity' floating around, didnt want to say so. There were seriously bad vibes around the squad last Jan- March for whatever reasons I dont know. It appears there are serious flaws there and despite the Laois result (which was very good to be fair), we have not really performed all that well this year.

I am not looking to throw management under bus here as Kelly has given a lot to Offaly GAA in recent times, but if this was anyone else in charge, there would be outrage. There should be outrage! This is like dropping back to Christy Ring in Hurling. Serious questions have to be asked about both management and the team after this result and it might not mean getting rid of management. It might be what needs to be added tweaked or changed to improve things so this doesnt happen again.

Joey, you simply cannot explain this away and I am not here to be part of the 'I told you so brigade'

It is the worst Offaly result in championship in my lifetime, possibly in the history of Offaly GAA! It is disgusting! Horrific!

I'm not explaining anything anyway we simply did not show up or bother today.. its a disgrace.. but my above points still stand! You cannot say that this is where we are.. our league form has been franked, big win against Laos, Dublin is Dublin and we simply just did not show up or bother today.. anyone just saying that we are this poor etc is nonsense! We simply didn't bother.. are lads trying to say that london are better than us.. we've been winning games in leinster and drawing with division 2 opposition.. this is not our form!!

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:02 pm
jimbob17 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:52 pm

I'm not explaining anything anyway we simply did not show up or bother today.. its a disgrace.. but my above points still stand! You cannot say that this is where we are.. our league form has been franked, big win against Laos, Dublin is Dublin and we simply just did not show up or bother today.. anyone just saying that we are this poor etc is nonsense! We simply didn't bother.. are lads trying to say that london are better than us.. we've been winning games in leinster and drawing with division 2 opposition.. this is not our form!!
This guy is a complete and utter wind up merchant, no point engaging with this poster anymore. There’s no way he honestly believes what he’s saying.