Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

Post by Lone Shark »

kaiserchief wrote:I never understand why we have to copy other counties!! I agree its a bit Grid iron but to win now you have to do things different. If you copy any other county you are already behind!!
If you're going to copy the NFL, then at least copy the bits that make it most interesting.

Can ye imagine Pádraig Boland up a stand in the Tullamore Court Hotel, announcing....

And with the first pick in the 2015 Offaly football draft, Ballycommon select ...... Rúairí McNamee!!
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

HA.. Id say he would only love that to be honest!!

Dont need the draft although I also agree with every player getting a chance to play at the highest grade available. ie.. junior players playing in the senior championship.. if kerry do it why cant we?

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

[quote] If you copy any other county you are already behind!![quote]

Followed by,

"If Kerry do it why dont we?" .....Classic!

Alright to copy other counties when it suits of course.

Anyway you are right. Its heading for the Autumn, lets get the ball rolling on amalgamations within Daingean & Killeigh parish's, Kevin Corrigan kicked off on it again last week as if it had never been discussed before!!

Sorry, off the topic, this is the hurling championship.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

Ha, never noticed i was contradicting myself!!

I do believe all players need a chance @ playing at the highest grade possible.

Parish teams shouldn't get first preference though. This should also apply to hurling. Example that sticks ot to me would be If you had shamrocks and brosna gaels together they would be able to compete at least at the highest level instead of being in relegation year after year.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Fair play Kaiser.

Yep, sort of coming around to that way of thinking. But it far from straight forward and has been bet to death on previous discussion topics.

Anyway, back to the "herlin" as Jason Sherlock calls it!!

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

lads kilcormac killoughey won last years championship without breaking a sweat. yes both belmont and clareen stayed with them for an hour but when kk needed to up it they did . i think playing football cost them another leinster tital last year at least . i think kk were 10 points better than any other club in offaly last year and they are stronger this year . other clubs have improved this year clareen coolderry shinrone and st rynagh . birr seem to be in decline but maybe they will have a kick in them .
They question is will kk have the hunger .
kk have they hurlers every other club would start t geraghty j gorman and e grogan c cassidy

i think if kk are rutless they will win 3 in a row with a bigger gap between them and the chasing pack than last year.

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

Was out in rath this evening for the division 1 league semi final between birr and kk..birr won 2 -18 to 3 14...and for me it could be a huge turning point for the birr boys this year...Both teams lined out with strong teams
Kilkormac
Slevin
Guinan grogan mcconville
Leonard healion gerathy
Leonard Kilmartin
Slevin gorman gerathy
Guinan currams Murray

Birr
Mullins
O callaghan Hayes Egan
Hayden ryan Murphy
Nolan whelehan
Bolger lonergan Mulrooney
Cleary mullins cahill

Both teams were missing a few players
Kk - conor mahon,t gerathy ,con mahon and kiely
Birr- Rory Hannify, barry harding,dd dwane and s whelehan

I know it's only league but the game was played like a championship game...and a real rivalry has grown between the 2 clubs and you could see this on the line as alot of words were thrown back and fourth from the dug outs ..at this stage I think birr are the only team capable of stopping kk...Michael Verney is a couple of weeks away from coming back...and there is also talks of Watkins coming home from England...meaning birr will be coming right when it matters.I hope coolderry don't beat kk in the group as this means birr would face them in the quaters,a team birr struggle against...as it stands birr will probably play clareen and I can't see clareen beating birr...
On the day best for birr were Murphy nolan whelehan...and e cahill who scored 4 points he's a real scoring forward...
For kk Slevin and currams who got 3 goals and if birr are to beat kk in championship they will have to find a plan to stop him..but after tonight it shows kk aren't as far ahead as people think they are..

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

babsandbond wrote:Was out in rath this evening for the division 1 league semi final between birr and kk..birr won 2 -18 to 3 14...and for me it could be a huge turning point for the birr boys this year...Both teams lined out with strong teams
Kilkormac
Slevin
Guinan grogan mcconville
Leonard healion gerathy
Leonard Kilmartin
Slevin gorman gerathy
Guinan currams Murray

Birr
Mullins
O callaghan Hayes Egan
Hayden ryan Murphy
Nolan whelehan
Bolger lonergan Mulrooney
Cleary mullins cahill

Both teams were missing a few players
Kk - conor mahon,t gerathy ,con mahon and kiely
Birr- Rory Hannify, barry harding,dd dwane and s whelehan

I know it's only league but the game was played like a championship game...and a real rivalry has grown between the 2 clubs and you could see this on the line as alot of words were thrown back and fourth from the dug outs ..at this stage I think birr are the only team capable of stopping kk...Michael Verney is a couple of weeks away from coming back...and there is also talks of Watkins coming home from England...meaning birr will be coming right when it matters.I hope coolderry don't beat kk in the group as this means birr would face them in the quaters,a team birr struggle against...as it stands birr will probably play clareen and I can't see clareen beating birr...
On the day best for birr were Murphy nolan whelehan...and e cahill who scored 4 points he's a real scoring forward...
For kk Slevin and currams who got 3 goals and if birr are to beat kk in championship they will have to find a plan to stop him..but after tonight it shows kk aren't as far ahead as people think they are..
well done to birr but didn't Kilcormac Killoughey play a senior football game the day before??
“Common sense is not so common.”

babsandbond
Senior

Post by babsandbond »

Ah come off it tox birr hurled a challenge match both Thursday and Friday picking up 3 injuries...don't be looking for excuses...

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

A team should be judged on championship performances. League the same as Practice matches are not a true indicator of where a team is truly at. KK were also missing Ger Healion. Down five of there top players.

babsandbond
Senior

Post by babsandbond »

As were birr missing 2 of there county hurlers...r Hannify and b harding who came on for 10 mins...when offaly hurl in the national league we judge them on there
Performances...I think ye are trying to play down this game as it ment noting...I think it did and going on the way Danny Owens was on the line it showed it ment something to them too...just a little indication that kk aren't the team they are been made out to be.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

babsandbond
good win for birr but dont read to much into it .
birr really needed to win .
danny owens would have used this game to look at a couple of fringe players and also try lads in different positions. i guess owens will be happy enough as it ensures that lads will be tuned in and dont get complacent. birr will hope it kicks off their year.
hope mr brian whelahan was there to see how dangerous d currams is close to goal.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Ah come on Tox, KK have only "played " one football match this year so far, they put it up to Ferbane and completely rolled over in the others. Doubt the game against Ballycumber took too much out of them.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

babsandbond wrote:Ah come off it tox birr hurled a challenge match both Thursday and Friday picking up 3 injuries...don't be looking for excuses...
Babsandbond. Its was a general enquiry not a statement against or for Birr or Kilcormac Killoughey.
I should point out again. I'm a Drumcullen man. I went to school in Kilcormac. So I wouldn't be looking for an excuses for Kilcormac Killoughey or Birr.

But I have to say that you must be worried about Birr hurling to be so defensive about them.

Can I ask what has you so worried about them??
“Common sense is not so common.”

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

I totally agree. I think people are reading a little bit too much into Birr's victory over KK.

A great morale victory but at the end of the day it is only a league match.

Be interesting to see if they these two meet later in the championship!!