Media/Public Relations

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lean Times
County player

Media/Public Relations

Post by Lean Times »

I just thought it was worth giving a well deserved pat on the back and give credit where credit is due to the noticable improvement in the PR side of things in the county in the last 12 months. Offaly GAA now has a completly funtional and regularly updated facebook page, twitter account and website(most of the time -update of fixtures can still be slow enough on occasions).

I feel Midlands 103 also deserve great creit as theyhave greatly improved their local sports covergage also through the mediums of facebook and twitter and for that they deserve great credit.

Local Media coverage is also improving. The Tullamore Tribune has this year started more indepth analysis of championship games and I particularly like the additional sections where they comment on the venue facilities, whats next for both teams, man of the match, referr rating, moment of the match etc. I also particularly liked the recent article in the Offaly Independent that rated the clubs in Offaly in order. (We were happy with number 17 :wink: )

We as a county are finally coming to terms with the benefits of PR and media and playing catch up on some other counties at long last. Clubs are coming on board now as well with many having very detailed twitter accounts,facebook pages and websites.

I believe this is all very important as players, supporters and young people especially appreciate coverage and the media spotlight and it can only work wonders for the develoment and promotion of Gaelic Games.

Long may it continue!

Greenwhiteandgold
Intermediate

Re: Media/Public Relations

Post by Greenwhiteandgold »

I would have to agree with you lean times. I feel that the reporting of matches and results has vastly improved in the last year. Ultimately this helps to increase peoples interest in the championships. The next step now should be to begin reporting on intermediate and junior championship grades. This could help to create more of an interest in the respective championships and make players playing at these levels feel as though their games are important. Obviously funding in this area may be difficult for local newspapers, but maybe there could be active reports online for these matches.

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Lean Times wrote:Local Media coverage is also improving. The Tullamore Tribune has this year started more indepth analysis of championship games and I particularly like the additional sections where they comment on the venue facilities, whats next for both teams, man of the match, referr rating, moment of the match etc. I also particularly liked the recent article in the Offaly Independent that rated the clubs in Offaly in order. (We were happy with number 17 )
You would'nt happen to have a list of those ratings by any chance leantimes?
First ball is when you make your mark

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

GOOFY wrote:
Lean Times wrote:Local Media coverage is also improving. The Tullamore Tribune has this year started more indepth analysis of championship games and I particularly like the additional sections where they comment on the venue facilities, whats next for both teams, man of the match, referr rating, moment of the match etc. I also particularly liked the recent article in the Offaly Independent that rated the clubs in Offaly in order. (We were happy with number 17 )
You would'nt happen to have a list of those ratings by any chance leantimes?
1. Rhode
2. Clara
3. Edenderry
4. Tullamore
5. Gracefield
6. Erin Rovers
7. Ferbane
8. Walsh Island
9. Tubber
10. St Brigids
11. Ballycumber
12. St. Rynaghs
13. Shamrocks
14. Ballyfore
15. Raheen
16. Shannonbridge
17. Cappincur
18. Kilcromac Killioghy
19. Doon
20. Bracknagh
21. Durrow
22. Clonbullogue
23. Kilclonfert
24. Daingean
25. Birr
26. Killeigh
27. Clonmore Harps
28. Ballinagar
29. Ballycommon
30. Kinnitty
31. Lusmagh

Greenwhiteandgold
Intermediate

Post by Greenwhiteandgold »

Was there a hurling list published in the report?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Greenwhiteandgold wrote:Was there a hurling list published in the report?
Hurling's on the way next week. I only have 1000 words or so to work with!
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

What's the formula for generating the rankings LS? Perhaps you could share and we could keep it updated throughout the league and championship next year LS and see who become's number 1 in the nation in 2013 (college football style - with bowl games n' all). Or is it a case that it is more of an opinion than a scientific formula?

In terms of the initial point of this post, I do agree that the communications of fixtures/results is generally better than before. We still lack in terms of our content marketing strategy to promote our games - but then again, we have one person as a PRO and no marketing team within the county board, so it is easier said than done.

this new fans initiative sounds really interesting.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

llkj wrote:What's the formula for generating the rankings LS? Perhaps you could share and we could keep it updated throughout the league and championship next year LS and see who become's number 1 in the nation in 2013 (college football style - with bowl games n' all). Or is it a case that it is more of an opinion than a scientific formula?
Pure seat of the pants stuff, but then it is the end of season, so that's the kind of filler ye can expect for the next few weeks!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

In fairness to Niall Murphy, he's got a good handle on the PRO job and he appreciates the most important side of the task - to get the basic information out there quickly. It's all very well to have flowery articles on past and present players, but fixtures, results, venues etc are the bread and butter - if that's being done well, and it is, the rest is just dressing.

I would like to see more information from the county board made generally available. By that I mean stuff like local by-laws, the make up of underage teams, maybe even panels for the different squads. I'm not talking about teamsheets, but it would be really helpful if each club released a panel list at the start of the year, with the various player gradings on it (i.e. Senior, Inter, Junior). People might be a lot more inclined to go see an Inter or a Junior game if they realise that there are a lot of senior players from last year stepping down, and it also makes it a lot easier for the media to do previews, which would drum up a bit more enthusiasm for local games.