How can we affect change within the county@

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Truth as i see it
All Star

Re: How can we affect change within the county@

Post by Truth as i see it »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:The point is you cant change it here because most of the guys on here have no involvement. First thing to change things is get involved. But not a great input as to what involvement anyone has, including yourself.

Also, it is Alans job to a point , but clubs are asking guys to coach teams and these guys are not doing the coaching courses, this is the case believe ot or not.

I am happy enough to do up a template myself, but anything you want to put up here would be apprieciated.
I cant get involved in a club as i don't live in Offaly anymore, that's why i regularly visit this site, but i take your point, I would suggest for your template that you talk to both Edenderry, Rhode and Ferbane as they seem to be doing great work at the moment, Me personally i'm a big fan of the attitude that Edenderry has taken on over the past few years, they drew up a 10 year plan which not only looked at on the pitch and off the pitch but the whole community as a whole
It was done up by former Offaly manager Paul O' Kelly who by rights should have never have been got rid off (just my Opinion) maybe its worth contacting him to see if he would assist in the plan (just a thought)

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

I dont know what you said to annoy people, but as you said in your initial post "I may have annoyed some people with my posts"!!
Not much interest here on progress by the looks of things. I have done a bit of digging into my own club and am shocked by the lack of preparation for training sessions , from the actual sessions to checking if fields are available.
And this club would be seen in a positive light around the county. Lads are literally going through the motions.

Anyway will be looking at putting together me own template and have been talking to a few lads in other clubs to see what is going on out there, and hope to have something ready shortly.

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:I dont know what you said to annoy people, but as you said in your initial post "I may have annoyed some people with my posts"!!
Not much interest here on progress by the looks of things. I have done a bit of digging into my own club and am shocked by the lack of preparation for training sessions , from the actual sessions to checking if fields are available.
And this club would be seen in a positive light around the county. Lads are literally going through the motions.

Anyway will be looking at putting together me own template and have been talking to a few lads in other clubs to see what is going on out there, and hope to have something ready shortly.
That sounds good, if i can help in any way let me know, my local side in south Roscommon are doing some excellent work at underage level, if you need any info on what they are doing let me know

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

I think the problem that a lot of underage coaches come up against is the fact that everything is results based...our entire ethos has changed from where kids developed skills...to now its purely about winning...kids only want to play for a team that's going to win something & more importantly, parents are not willing to drive their kids all over the county if their team is getting bet out the gate or even the bigger issue...if their little precious doesn't get enough playing time!!

I think the underage system needs an overhaul, from age 7 to 15...it really needs to be about practicing the skills of the game...then fro
16 upwards it's should be about exercise program's & proper diets...not just so this person might pull on an Offaly jersey some day...but so that people within the community can grow up to be healthier people & have the right information for what exercise they should be doing and what foods people should eat.

I guess we could look at the success that St. Mary's & Ferbane CC had in schools football & assume that the future should be bright...but like with so many talented young footballers & hurlers that we've had down through the years in Offaly,probably 75% of them will not next nor near a county u21 team in a few years time!! a
The Untouchable

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

I wouldn't necessarily agree that kids only want to play for successful teams. Kids just want to play. If you ask any 10 year old they generally just want to enjoy matches and dont really mind if they win or lose yet they obviously want to win. Often, The problem or reason for the high drop out rates come from pressure from coaches who only want to win to make themselves look good. Obviously as they get older, the winning or losing element becomes more important for players. While there is an ever increasing number of coaches with the right attitude at underage, there are still a few out there who want to win only to make themselves look good. This invariably involves a coach ranting and roaring in a negative fashion at players while marching up and down a sideline and comes at a cost.

1 pressure from the coach is heaped on the players to win and if they dont they are considered a failure, taking from the enjoyment of the whole process.
2 coaches don't introduce as many subs as they could, invariably alienating weaker players to the point where they get p&^%sed off and give up. Players only want to play and feel wanted and if you can create this environment, you will have a better chance of getting a player to stay involved into adult life, which in essence is success.

In my opinion, learning skills and developing fitness and positive attitude to life and sport are all by products of doing things correctly, but the most important thing really as a coach is the enjoyment level of the players when they go to a training session. This is only determined by the outlook of the coach. One bad coach can destroy a whole group to the point where players just give up as a result of non enjoyment or ill treatment. Therefore it is most important that coaches realise their duty of care, level of fairness and privileged role that they hold when looking after a team.
jimbob

KingLurk
Junior B

Post by KingLurk »

Anyone hear how the meeting to look at current state of games went on Monday night? Good representation of clubs?

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

the Untouchable wrote:I think the problem that a lot of underage coaches come up against is the fact that everything is results based...our entire ethos has changed from where kids developed skills...to now its purely about winning...kids only want to play for a team that's going to win something & more importantly, parents are not willing to drive their kids all over the county if their team is getting bet out the gate or even the bigger issue...if their little precious doesn't get enough playing time!!

I think the underage system needs an overhaul, from age 7 to 15...it really needs to be about practicing the skills of the game...then fro
16 upwards it's should be about exercise program's & proper diets...not just so this person might pull on an Offaly jersey some day...but so that people within the community can grow up to be healthier people & have the right information for what exercise they should be doing and what foods people should eat.

I guess we could look at the success that St. Mary's & Ferbane CC had in schools football & assume that the future should be bright...but like with so many talented young footballers & hurlers that we've had down through the years in Offaly,probably 75% of them will not next nor near a county u21 team in a few years time!! a
Just the fact that we are encouraged (over here any way) to take young kids (age 8 and up) sometimes long distances for 'competitive' games in all sorts of sports made me a little crazy. I really liked this article from a few years back that talks about how Ajax develops their talent and the reasoning behind it.

After getting beyond the fact that Ajax is a top European football club and circumstances are different for Offaly, the attention grabbing point of the article is that the players play games that develop their skills along the lines of what the Untouchable outlines above. They seem to consider competitive matches at a very young age a waste of time and resources. The read can be found below. Its for a different sport, but there are plenty of relevant items in there. When I think of all the time I spent organizing, arranging officials, driving all over, etc - I suspected there was a better way at the time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/06/magaz ... wanted=all
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Time to rehash this old thread again lads!!

After hearing some of the dismal preparation in terms of the strength and conditioning work/facilities for the minors.