Offaly Senior Hurling Management 2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bazil Brush
Junior A

Re: Offaly Senior Hurling Management 2012

Post by Bazil Brush »

Lads Lads easy now. In fairness to Paudge great servant and all the rest should have stayed away from this one. Offaly needed somebody new to the set up with fresh ideas and with an idea of how the modern game works. County board will ya lave it so.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Bazil Brush wrote:Lads Lads easy now. In fairness to Paudge great servant and all the rest should have stayed away from this one. Offaly needed somebody new to the set up with fresh ideas and with an idea of how the modern game works. County board will ya lave it so.
well there seems to be alot on here who know it all maybe you should asked them Bazil Brush what offaly should do, you have some running down Paudge and won't
say anything about his other selector in case he hurts his clubmates feelings but yet can give out about otheres did you ever hear such bullsh.t .

Certainly Gerry
Junior B

Post by Certainly Gerry »

With the manager and the trainer from outside of the county, I persume the main role of the selectors is to bring their local knowledge and inside track on players. How active would both Paudge and Mark be in the club scene or county scene in recent times? Are they involved in any underage teams, development panels, schools, managing clubs, etc?

The above is a genuine question. Hopefully they are heavily involved and can really bring some insights into the players that are available to the new mgnt.
This is a very important point that llkj makes. Unfortunately I would be worried that neither of them would have a proper idea of all the hurlers that could make the panel in Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

you could have said the same for Joe Dooleys crew did they know the proper idea of the hurlers that could make the panel
alot of people would say No.

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

When I heard the two selectors only one thing came to mind,if the county board had wanted a set up with people involved that knew most about the modern game and tactics and everything that goes along with it then the best appointment would have been Paddy Kirwan along with Brian Whelehan and John Troy,now we all know that Kirwan was never going to be the most popular choice but thats where the county board again failed everyone his overall package was miles ahead of this,if this appointment fails then Pat Teehan and co have to go!The board have picked the selectors without Baker knowing anything about them and while both of them have been great Offaly men it remains to be seen if a rookie manager with older selectors that havnt been majorly involved for a while was the smartest choice!

However all of the above is past tense and all we can do is wish Baker Corrigan and Mulhare all the best!

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

As I said in my post, my question is a genuine question - I honestly don't know what either of the 2 selectors are up to, so I asked. For all I know, Corrigan could be the manager of some club currently or maybe Podge is doing great work in Rynaghs underage, or maybe both of them have not been involved in a team set up in a while. Anyone know?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

To my knowledge Mark Corrigan was involved with the Camogie team for a cpouple of years. I can't recall seeing him on the sideline with a Kinnitty team. I could be wrong, I jusy can'rt recall seeing him.

Paudge was an U21 selector with Stephen Byrne the year the U21s should have beaten KIlkenny in Kilkenny. Again, to my knowledge, he has not been involved with his club in any shape or form. He was a selector with John McIntyre and Daithi Regan in 2005 but stepped down owing to ill-health at that time.

My opinion is that, as you say, "maybe both of them have not been involved in a team set up in a while". I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

As for the fella who proudly told us PM carried the hurls in 1981 (and probably long before that poster was born) I say let him carry the hurls in 2012. On that logic, Charlie Daly and Mick Spain should be prevailed upon. Personally I've met Charlie Daly once - if you wonder why a progressive coach like John Leahy is gone from K/K, look no further.

If Babs Keating's 1968 logic was out of date in 1998, so it goes that 1982 logic is similarly outdated in 2012. Period.

On the overall picture, I wouldn't abandon hope. It sounds like Alan Cunninghan fella has something to contribute. Maybe the role of these two selectors will be to sit down and stay quiet, and leave the bollocking to Baker and the tactics to Cunningham. Time will tell.
llkj wrote:As I said in my post, my question is a genuine question - I honestly don't know what either of the 2 selectors are up to, so I asked. For all I know, Corrigan could be the manager of some club currently or maybe Podge is doing great work in Rynaghs underage, or maybe both of them have not been involved in a team set up in a while. Anyone know?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

If Paudge Mulhare and Mark Corrigan have a good eye for a player and can work out who fits best together in the Offaly senior hurling team then I don't care how long they've been around.

There are very few people around with the same passion for Offaly hurling as Paudge Mulhare. He would have done a jail break out of hospital to play for Offaly in his heyday when it wasn't popular or profitable.

And at the very least the presence of Mark Corrigan on the sideline will bring back great memories of a real Offaly hurling stylist, one of the best wing forwards I've ever seen in an Offaly jersey. I don't know what he was like for Kinnity or in the winter league games but he was magic at times for Offaly in the championship. I remember being behind the goals at the Canal End one day that a Laois half back decided to play "soft zone" marking against Mark and he scored about 1-5 in the first 10 minutes.

I was at the same spot a few years later when Mark Corrigan scored a goal from a 21 yard free midway between goals and sideline against Galway. Does anybody know if he placed it in the top corner or was going for a point?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:To my knowledge Mark Corrigan was involved with the Camogie team for a cpouple of years. I can't recall seeing him on the sideline with a Kinnitty team. I could be wrong, I jusy can'rt recall seeing him.

Paudge was an U21 selector with Stephen Byrne the year the U21s should have beaten KIlkenny in Kilkenny. Again, to my knowledge, he has not been involved with his club in any shape or form. He was a selector with John McIntyre and Daithi Regan in 2005 but stepped down owing to ill-health at that time.

My opinion is that, as you say, "maybe both of them have not been involved in a team set up in a while". I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

As for the fella who proudly told us PM carried the hurls in 1981 (and probably long before that poster was born) I say let him carry the hurls in 2012. On that logic, Charlie Daly and Mick Spain should be prevailed upon. Personally I've met Charlie Daly once - if you wonder why a progressive coach like John Leahy is gone from K/K, look no further.

If Babs Keating's 1968 logic was out of date in 1998, so it goes that 1982 logic is similarly outdated in 2012. Period.

On the overall picture, I wouldn't abandon hope. It sounds like Alan Cunninghan fella has something to contribute. Maybe the role of these two selectors will be to sit down and stay quiet, and leave the bollocking to Baker and the tactics to Cunningham. Time will tell.
llkj wrote:As I said in my post, my question is a genuine question - I honestly don't know what either of the 2 selectors are up to, so I asked. For all I know, Corrigan could be the manager of some club currently or maybe Podge is doing great work in Rynaghs underage, or maybe both of them have not been involved in a team set up in a while. Anyone know?
its funny your point on only let PM carry hurls in 2012 thats all Brendan Kelly was good at in his time with offaly, under Dooley,

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

POTH

just a question who do you think we should get in and your choice for his backroom team, if in your last post about John Leahy is anything to go by i take it
he would have something to do with the county team wasn't he with K/K Seniors and underage teams ???

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I see my username and the words "just a question" at the beginning of this, and a heap of question marks at the end, and I presume there is a question there for me. In between though is a load of gibberish I can't understand. I might have a stab at answering the question if I could understand it but I can't so I won't.
townman wrote:POTH

just a question who do you think we should get in and your choice for his backroom team, if in your last post about John Leahy is anything to go by i take it
he would have something to do with the county team wasn't he with K/K Seniors and underage teams ???
What's Brendan Kelly to do with all this? Do you expect me to get all parochial and come out defending the honour of the parish? Grow up. People actually read this site (now there’s a surprise for you) and they expect better than this ráiméis as practiced by you. You were at the same with Kinnittyman yesterday. At least he had the cop-on not to rise to your crap. Most of us are here to offer our opinions on Offaly hurling. You're here to cause trouble for your own cheap little thrill. You have consistently proven that you know absolutely nothing about hurling. Now go off and play with your trains.
townman wrote:its funny your point on only let PM carry hurls in 2012 thats all Brendan Kelly was good at in his time with offaly, under Dooley,
Finally, I apologise to those readers who expect more of me than to be stooping to a level this low but when there's an itch to be scratched . . .
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

What I'd like to know in all this is if the county board nominated Paudge Mlhare and Mark Corrigan, as appears to be the case, I wonder how much consultation with Ollie was involved?

I say this because as a novice manager, Ollie Baker would probably be well served to have some experience on the sideline with him, both for match situations and for understanding all the personalities within Offaly GAA that he will have to deal with. However my big thing here is that I've been partially involved with a team before and seen the management team (in football, granted) fail to function because the manager had a complete different view on how to play the game to his two selectors. The manager was a fan of a physical, hard working player who would win possession and put in the tackles, the selectors always looked at a player from the point of view of how they rated them technically, and their ability to "win a game for you". Basically, if they were picking a team of the decade and had a centre forward slot left, the manager would have picked Paul Galvin and the selectors would have picked Padraig Joyce. Needless to say that didn't work.

Of course Ollie needs guys with local knowledge, but surely he should have been able to say how he wanted to mould his team and to be given guys that bought into that? That may have happened, I don't know, but I really hope this wasn't some form of "reward for services rendered" for the two lads.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I see my username and the words "just a question" at the beginning of this, and a heap of question marks at the end, and I presume there is a question there for me. In between though is a load of gibberish I can't understand. I might have a stab at answering the question if I could understand it but I can't so I won't.
townman wrote:POTH

What's Brendan Kelly to do with all this? Do you expect me to get all parochial and come out defending the honour of the parish? Grow up. People actually read this site (now there’s a surprise for you) and they expect better than this ráiméis as practiced by you. You were at the same with Kinnittyman yesterday. At least he had the cop-on not to rise to your crap. Most of us are here to offer our opinions on Offaly hurling. You're here to cause trouble for your own cheap little thrill. You have consistently proven that you know absolutely nothing about hurling. Now go off and play with your trains.
townman wrote:its funny your point on only let PM carry hurls in 2012 thats all Brendan Kelly was good at in his time with offaly, under Dooley,
Finally, I apologise to those readers who expect more of me than to be stooping to a level this low but when there's an itch to be scratched . . .
well you seem to know everything else about hurling in offaly and who's not good enough to be over offaly hurling, well you like to think you do.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

My point about Brendan Kelly is your are quick to

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

My point about Brendan Kelly is you are quick to Question PM as a selector as he has done it before with offaly, and should be only let carry the hurls
as you said, but yet haven't the balls to say anything about the shambles your as you say Parishman Kelly was as a selector with offaly.

but of course your word is Gospel just go and grow a pair.