Offaly Senior Football Club Championship 2011

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
offalyman08
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Football Club Championship 2011

Post by offalyman08 »

Over The Black Spot wrote:
It's gotten very fashionable though of late to just up sticks and join a new club. I'm not saying that it was just an off the cuff decision in this case but fellas these days don't seem to have the same loyalty about them.

I, like I'm sure most others can, could tell you countless stories of fellas who are tavelling from all over the country, and indeed from overseas, to train and play with their clubs. There are some small clubs being kept alive because lads are willing to put in the miles to keep the show on the road. I just think it's a pity when someoe walks away from their own.

Rhode have players living in Dublin, Tullamore/Mullingar(ok not a million miles away), Newbridge among other places but they don't transfer. Edenderry have players living in Wexford, Dublin & Donegal but they don't transfer. That is just two examples i am sure every club has some players living away. But it all boils down to loyalty in my opinion

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

offalyman08 wrote:
Over The Black Spot wrote:
It's gotten very fashionable though of late to just up sticks and join a new club. I'm not saying that it was just an off the cuff decision in this case but fellas these days don't seem to have the same loyalty about them.

I, like I'm sure most others can, could tell you countless stories of fellas who are tavelling from all over the country, and indeed from overseas, to train and play with their clubs. There are some small clubs being kept alive because lads are willing to put in the miles to keep the show on the road. I just think it's a pity when someoe walks away from their own.

Rhode have players living in Dublin, Tullamore/Mullingar(ok not a million miles away), Newbridge among other places but they don't transfer. Edenderry have players living in Wexford, Dublin & Donegal but they don't transfer. That is just two examples i am sure every club has some players living away. But it all boils down to loyalty in my opinion
I am sure there are the odd genuine case of a lad just not being able to commit due to hours of work. But from what ive seen this year it seems like a lot of younger players wont hang around if the going gets tough and a club is struggling. Some of these boys are just using living outside the county as an excuse not to bother with their club. We all know a few who if they really were bothered about their club they would make the effort to get home once a week from Dublin or Galway.

Rhode and Edenderry players have been mentioned above. Maybe thats why both clubs have enjoyed success and in Edenderrys case how they bounced back so well from when they dropped down a grade.

catfish1
Junior C
Club: ferbane

williamson tullamore

Post by catfish1 »

williamson didnt walk away from tullamore when the going got tough his work commitments made it that he was unable to play some matches in league apparantly a difference of opinion in dressing room after 1 match he left did make contact with new management heard nothing from them until late saturday night before edenderry game was told not to tog out but to return to training on the tuesday but 2 players were flown home from new zealand and they were on panel they werent training with the rest of team his job is 1 that you cant just say im going training now his club he transferring to is in kildare where he is based good luck to him good player tullamores top scorer worth 4 or more points in a game

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Lads most of this comes back to work situations. Some employers are understanding when it comes to GAA commitments, some aren't - and employees simply aren't in a position to take chances these days. What's more, it simply isn't a nine to five world any more. I've never had a job that would have been compatible with the demands of senior club GAA, (ignoring for the moment that junior club GAA is above my skill level) and I know for a fact that if I made demands, I would have been told where the door was.

That's before we get into situations like players getting jobs either implicitly or explicitly on the basis that they transfer. That still happens and while I'm utterly in the dark about the unique circumstances of this or any other single transfer, it's naive to ignore this aspect too.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Heard last night that Tullamore are trying to get Dooley home in time for the Tubber game and hope he will play some part.

Tipperary are out of the New york championship so its a case of when he wants to head home now.

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

Long John wrote:Heard last night that Tullamore are trying to get Dooley home in time for the Tubber game and hope he will play some part.

Tipperary are out of the New york championship so its a case of when he wants to head home now.
Would he have the "60 days" done yet?
I'd say not and I would guess he's not eligible to play for Tullamore until sometime around end of month.

When is the Tubber game?

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Long John wrote:When is the Tubber game?
The Tubber game is this Sunday evening so I doubt Dooley will be elegible to play whether he's home or not.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

His 60 day sanction began on the 1st of July. He's ineligible for this absolutely, and Tullamore club would know that. This is just the rumour mill filling space up with nonsense.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Certainly Gerry
Junior B

Post by Certainly Gerry »

Is his 60 day sanction not in relation to hurling only? When players fill out those forms they are for sanctions for specific hurling or football clubs in the States. The Tipperary club he transferred to over there are a hurling only team as far as I know. If he didn't fill get a sanction to play with a football club in New York which i'm pretty sure he didn't, then what's to stop him playing football at the weekend?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Dooley's sanction relates to both hurling and football. See listing of sanctions on gaa.ie.
Certainly Gerry wrote:Is his 60 day sanction not in relation to hurling only? When players fill out those forms they are for sanctions for specific hurling or football clubs in the States. The Tipperary club he transferred to over there are a hurling only team as far as I know. If he didn't fill get a sanction to play with a football club in New York which i'm pretty sure he didn't, then what's to stop him playing football at the weekend?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

Walsh Island 8/11 vs Gracefield 11/8......... Draw 13/2

Clara 1/6 vs St Rynaghs 9/2......... Draw 9/1

Shamrocks 5/2 vs Ballycumber 4/11........... Draw 15/2

Tullamore 6/5 vs Tubber 4/5............. Draw 7/1

Ferbane evens vs Erin Rovers evens.......... Draw 13/2

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

any odds on edenderry and rod?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

True Red wrote:any odds on edenderry and rod?

A phone call to Paddy Power & they say their not covering it........... Which is fairly strange really

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Ah hardly?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Real Rob
Junior B
Club: Offaly NYC

Post by Real Rob »

Maybe its because of Rhode's off the field Problems leading into the Game that Paddy Power is not covering it