Offaly Team to face Wexford in Leinster Football Championshi

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
DAF
All Star

Offaly Team to face Wexford in Leinster Football Championshi

Post by DAF »

1 Alan Mulhall
2 Brian Darby
3 Joe Quinn
4 Sean Pender
5 Shane Sullivan
6 Karol Slattery
7 Stephen Lonergan
8 Scott Brady
9 Niall Smith
10 Anton Sullivan
11 Brian Connor
12 Ciaran McManus
13 Bernard Allen
14 Ross Brady
15 Niall McNamee

Option to move Ross Brdy to centre back and bring Guilfoyle in to the half forward line and move Anton Sullivan into the corner.

I want to see Offaly play more direct football and we seem to be obsessed with too much fluting around, Ross Brady is a big treath on the edge of the square and McNemee is brilliant at catching high balls, long balls into those two would cause trouble for most defences.Niall Smith has to start at midfield and Scott Brasy is way to slow for full back and will be ripped to shreds if he plays therealthough he would add power to midfield.Also Alan Mulhall to kick the 45s (If McManus baloons another one miles wide I am going to go mad)

atomic
Junior A

Re: Offaly Team to face Wexford in Leinster Football Championshi

Post by atomic »

Yeah Scott Brady is a bit slow for the Full-back line he looked like he was in trouble anytime he was isolated in the Westmeath match. Joe Quinn looks deserving of a place after the impact he made as per Niall Smith. I don't know about leaving out Deehan do and John Reynolds good scoring forwards. I would see Anton Sullivan as more of an impact player and Guilfoyle is the better option as he a great ball carrier. On the point of Mac Manus 45's and frees he looked very inconsistent, but I hear he was very good aganst Waterford but it was one of the two games I didn't go to. Would love the see Alan Mullhall take them I think its the kind of thing that would give a team a lift, the goalkeeper slotting over a few scores from 45's.

Alan Mullhall
Brian Darby
Joe Quinn
Sean Pender
Shane Sullivan
Scott Brady
Karol Slattery
Niall Smith
Brian Connor
Graham Guilfoyle
John Reynolds
Ciaran Mac Manus
Thomas Deehan
Niall McNamee
Bernard Allen

faithfullad
Senior

Post by faithfullad »

Guilfoyle is gone.

wazzaman
Junior A
Club: N/A

Post by wazzaman »

faithfullad wrote:Guilfoyle is gone.
Gone where ??

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

He played against Mayo on Saturday, so he's a quick mover if that's the case.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Lone Shark wrote:He played against Mayo on Saturday, so he's a quick mover if that's the case.
Lads very little talk about the footballers and the game saturday week. How they being going in challenge games/training? Any challenge rersults or starting teams. A real 50-50 game against Wexford so games like this require total preparation. Nothing can be left to chance here, not only have we to get our own game right but I also hope Cribbin has someone following this Wexford team around their games as well but he doesn't strike me as the sort of manager to have his homework done on the opposition.....I could be wrong.

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

How did they get on against Mayo?
First ball is when you make your mark

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Lone Shark wrote:He played against Mayo on Saturday, so he's a quick mover if that's the case.
If he starts against Wexford he better look after his defensive duties. The Wexford wing back kicked 3 points from play in the league encounter, which was the result of complete laziness towards tracking back.

This is a winable game for Offaly but they really have to get some grip at midfield.

faithfullad
Senior

Post by faithfullad »

They beat Mayo by a point. Guilfoyle is going abroad for the summer and it is very debatable whether he will play in the Wexford game.

Johnno81
County player

Post by Johnno81 »

According to Hogan Stand, result was 2.12 to 0.15.

Anyone hear how we lined up??

WHOKICKEDTHAT
Junior C

Post by WHOKICKEDTHAT »

Strange, but I thought MCmanus was having one of his better years on the long range frees and kicked a few very good ones from what I saw. I think he would be as accurate as Muller.
CAnt see Scott surviving at full back, but would like to see him in the team, (maybe himself and Smith in midfield), try Brian Connor at wing forward.

Dont want to see Shane Sullivan next nor near the team, to slow and ponderous, gives his man way too much space, and his distribution is often poor.

What I want to see is our forward working as hard as other teams when we dont have posession, our backline is being exposed often because the opposing wingbacks are allowed to raid up the field at will, especially against Westmeath, (Deehan, Mcnamee and McManus, Guilfoyle were all guilty in this regard).
If we do that we have a chance against Wexford, if not then we will be out.

faithfullad
Senior

Post by faithfullad »

Beat Carlow in a challenge tonight, 3-14 to 1-15. Team was:

1.Meehan, 2.Quinn, 3.S Brady, 4. Pender, 5.Spain, 6.R.Brady 7. N Darby, 8. Dalton, 9.Coughlan, 10. Egan, 11.Deehan, 12. Ryan, 13.Mulhall, 14. Casey, 15. Reynolds

Subs used: Eoin Brennan,Alan Mulhall, Stephen Lonergan, Brian Darby, Brian Kelly, Ciaran McManus, Anton Sullivan, Graham Guilfoyle. Probably were some more but I can't remember. Nearly the whole bench was emptied although McNamee, Allen, Smith or Connor didn't play a minute. Guilfoyle actually played wing back and did well enough, Joe Quinn was good also. Ross Brady was poor, he'll get cleaned out if he plays like that in the championship.

I think Shane Sullivan has left the panel. Brian Connor will miss the championship, he's going to the USA.
Last edited by faithfullad on Tue May 17, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

How ya now

Post by How ya now »

Who is Spain at wing back ???

faithfullad
Senior

Post by faithfullad »

Niall Spain from Ballyfore.

brian fantana
Intermediate
Club: rhode