U-21 Club Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
In the long grass
Senior

U-21 Club Championship

Post by In the long grass »

Any results to report?

I know Durrow did beat Shamrocks and they now go on to play Tullamore in the Q/F.
St. Colmans also recorded a win over Wheery today on a scoreline of 0-12 to 0-8 and now go onto face Rhode in the Q/F.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Re: U-21 Club Championship

Post by High School Musical »

Wheery will be the team to watch in the next couple of years. Good win for St. Colemans though.
Now why couldn't a team like that play at Senior level?
For all the struggles at adult level within the teams of Daingean parish, why oh why cant these lads all stick together after u-21 and give the parish team a decent go? It makes sense. If they're playing together now at underage, and competing well with the Rhodes, Tullamores & Claras of that level why cant it just translate to Senior. I guarantee that if St. Vincents continued & formed an adult club that within 5 years, that team would be a serious force in the senior Championship.

Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions? Maybe I'm on the wrong thread.....

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Stick to the singing High School Musical, That Wheery team was woeful. Have Colemans even made a semi final at u21 level? Dont think so?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I've said it before and I'll say it again - it is utterly pointless holding this competition and running it off this way. I completely appreciate where the county board are coming from in that there are a lot of games and competitions to get run off, but there is so much luck involved in getting a season underway this way that it's simply not a good system and it does no good for anyone.

For a variety of reasons, playing this competition in high summer is not going to work - that goes without saying. Why, o why do we not then play it in October or November, and play it as U-20 so as to be a trial for the county under-21's for next year? That way you have seniors and minors not long finished their own season, so players willing to play in this competition can just play on. Yes it will be tricky if teams are involved in the club championship, but that's a hell of a lot better than the current system where you have players coming in cold with little or no training at all, since they are away at college midweek.

Everybody's in under the same system so of course Colemans deserved their win at the weekend, but that Wheery team would have been much better given a bit more time to get to know who should be playing where and surely the competition would be better served by clubs putting out something close to their best possible team?

Can anyone think of any reason not to play it in late October/November, when you could possibly even put a backdoor into it to give teams a second chance?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

St. Michaels 1-7
St. Colemans 1-5

Not a great game, not a poor game either. Strong wind out. Michaels were 5 points up at the half having had the benefit of the wind. Colemans rallied a bit in the 2nd half, but went out with a bit of a whimper in the end. When they were a point down with 5 or 6 mins left and in the ascendency they then fell flat and I dont think the ball made it past their half-forward line for the remainder of the game. They lacked the quality to win a game that was clearly there for the taking. St. Michaels knack for doing it at this level looks like it will continue.