SHC Final

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
arbarg
County player

Re: SHC Final

Post by arbarg »

GUTTED!!!

Congrats to Coolderry on an outstanding performance and best of luck to them in Leinster!!

Well done to Tullamore for makin a fight of it and givin them a rattle in the second half and thanks for all the great days out again this year, thanks for the memories lads yer a credit to the club and town!

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

No surprises today.
As soon as Birr made their exit, this championship was Coolderry's to loose. No doubt about it they're a good side, playing an attractive brand of hurling. Control of proceedings was theirs today for all but ten minutes (ten minutes Tullamore made them pay for) but anything other than a Coolderry victory never looked likely.

Hopefully they'll be good champions, with Loughriel Shamrocks they only team left in the country that have previously won the Club All-Ireland, the provincial and national competition is wide open.

Footnote: Damien Murray worth a spot on next years county team?

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:
That said, it's Coolderry's Championship to loose now. In fact, I expect they'll win it pulling up.
Said that on the 19th September. Did I put my money where my mouth was? Of course not...

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Coolderry very deserving winners. Played some terrific fast hurling and their touch most of the time was excellent.
Brian Carroll and Damien Murray were deadly accurate when a chance presented itself. Thought Tullamore were very slow on the line to make a switch on Carroll, He got so much space and he is without question and Ive always said it the best forward in Offaly. He gets a bit of criticism on here but no matter who Offaly hurl against he chips in with a few scores. One criticism, I thought he was getting a bit carried away with the show boating throwing arms in the air after scores.
ken Hogan had Coolderry very sharp, I still have questions about some of their players and wouldnt be over confident that they could win a Leinster. I thought the Corcorans hurled poor enough and Parlon for a county hurler was poor. That Ryan chap at corner forward was very tidy. Murray as always was the poacher supreme. Somebody mentioned him as an Offaly prospect for next year. Yes but only as a sub coming in for last 20 or so. I think he would be the type of player to sneak a few scores.
Now as for Tullamore, they were very very poor at the start and it killed them. But I have to give them massive credit, I dont think too many teams would have come back like they did. It was terrific when they did and for once in the day yesterday there was a bit of atmosphere brewing. I had a few Coolderry people around me who lets just say, lost a few years when it went down to a 3 point game. I dont think they would have let their players back to the parish if Tullamore had went on to win. Unfortunately Jody Duffy had to go off injured, he was carrying the game to Coolderry and as soon as he left Joe Brady started to hurl and control the game. Duffy had led him a merry dance for long spells, but hadnt enough support. Dooley had the beating of Corcoran and Kerrigan eventually got some supply and threatened but isnt at his fittest. Tullamores half back line were destroyed, Barry Teehan got on a decent amount of ball but his usage 99% of time was excellent. Midfield Coolderry won without shining. I think those two areas separated the teams totally.

As for the intermediate game, very poor.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

if sundays game was a boxing match the towel would have been threw in after 25 minutes Coolderry were that much ahead
and better than tullamore, but fair play to tullamore and Shane Dooley bye making a bit of a game of it in the second half
but only having one forward came home to roost for tullamore big time yesterday.

as for Coolderry a good run in the leinster club can be done if they put their heads down to it now, i hope they have a good
crack at it this year.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote: Footnote: Damien Murray worth a spot on next years county team?
Without a doubt. He has been fantasic in the 3 games this year. He would offer a genuine goal threat in the full forward line. Dooley, Bergin and Murray would be as good as anything Kilkenny and Tipp have to offer. Dooley aside we havn't had a good natural hurler for a corner in years. Depending on how things worked out Murray could also be utilised on a wing. Although a bit scrappy with the frees yesturday he would be good back up for Dooley. God help us if Dooley or Bergin picked up serious injury....so all the more reason for Murray to be onboard. Also if you remember from his county days a few years back he was a great man to win a free, always attracted alot of attention when he went on the run and was usually pulled down. Lets hope Joe Dooley does not pass him by :shock:

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd say Murray will get a call up, but I wouldn't get carried away expecting miracles from him. He's scored a goal in each of the last couple of games, but in both cases he just drifted in towards goal, looking for the ball to break to him, which it duly did. You don't get handy scores like that playing county. Yes he can take frees and would be good cover for Shane Dooley, but I think he'd have a lot of work to do to be worth his place in his own right.

Regarding the match, and I know I'm opening a world of trouble for myself here, but if I was a Tullamore supporter I'd be a little p'ed off. Of course it's great that your team never says die and they owe the supporters nothing after a roller coaster ride in the last couple of years, but this comeback was nothing like the one against Birr or K/K this year, since it was digging themselves out of a hole of their own making. They were way off the pace in the first half, they seemed to be making switches up front just for the sake of it, they lost concentration on several occasions to give away handy scores (like the first goal) and a lot of their players simply didn't feel the weight of the ball for the full thirty minutes.

Yes they made a great flurry of scores to start the second half, but think how different the game would have been if they hadn't been ten points in arrears? Lads like Jody Duffy, Brendan Dagg, Stephen Egan and Kevin Waters were excellent throughout and constantly took the game to Coolderry, but too many fellas were simply coasting, as if they believed their own hype that no matter what happened, they'd hurl Coolderry out the gate in the second half. Even Shane Dooley seemed to be so busy constantly moving from full forward to corner forward to wing forward and back again that he never actually got into the game itself. Even after the goal he didn't stand out as the best hurler in this championship, which he probably is.

Tullamore even rode the initial burst, getting it back to a two point deficit with ten minutes gone. A lot went in their favour but they just never took full advantage.

From Coolderry's point of view, they have a lot of talent and took their scores well, but they did have a lot of difficulty under their own puckout and will have to improve that area of their game. Even on Tullamore's puckout they batted a lot of ball that was there to be fielded and would have been much better served getting the ball into hand. There were one or two players who weren't in the game either and I was surprised they were so slow to make the substitutions, but they got away with it in the end.

I still come away with this nagging feeling that I still haven't seen Coolderry put under any real pressure, which is irritating me since they so easily could have been if Tullamore hadn't played at league pace for half the match. Still, deserved winners, but it might be the Oulart game before we really see what they're made of, and whether they have the competitiveness and mental strength to go with a lot of hurling skill.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

RE: Murray. I'm not sure Offaly's style of play suits him. A lot of long hopeful balls land on our inside forwards and Murray wouldn't be the best at winning dirty ball. Offaly would need to modify how they attack.

For example in Kilkenny the half forwards carry the ball forward more and deliver more precise short balls to the inside men. If you watch how Eddie Brennan and Aidan Fogarty operate, they often stay narrow and quickly drift off their men and into space to receive the pass. Like corner forwards in gaelic football.

Offaly don't really have an abundance of distributing, forward going ball carriers to create that sort attacking platform. Offaly are more reliant on creating chances from pressuring opposition defenders into missing catches, fluffing clearances etc.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Lone Shark wrote: but I wouldn't get carried away expecting miracles from him. He's scored a goal in each of the last couple of games, but in both cases he just drifted in towards goal, looking for the ball to break to him, which it duly did. You don't get handy scores like that playing county.
But isn't this itself a skill? Peeling away from the action to make himself available for breaking ball and give the other forwards the option of a loose man when they get tied up. How often in Portlaoise this year against Galway (and Tipp) did we see Healion and Bergin gettin getting held up in the 2nd half with possession of the ball and no option breaking off inside for them. Kilkenny have terrorised the country with their ability to peel off the man with the ball and be available for a quick handpass? How many times over the last 10 years has Eddie Brennan found himself behind the defence waiting for the ball to be slipped into him to blast into the net. True it is rare for a ball to randomly break to you in intercounty but I think theres no reason why Offaly couldn't play a game whereby Murray would be slipping in behind the defence and making himself available.

On the intermediate game yesturday (only seen the 2nd half) but yes indeed the standard was very poor. The standard of intermediate hurling seems to have dipped a bit recently but so to did the intermediate football over the last few years. But I think its fair to say having watched a good bit of the inter football this year that the standard seems to have improved a bit again.....Durrow, Raheen, Rynaghs, Birr etc all showed up well so hopefully the intermediate hurling won't be long improving either? The standard at intermediate can change dramatically from year to year.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

lads if my memory is right murray was on the county panel for a few years in the early 2000s
we already have a free taker and offaly club hurling is way off inter county hurling murray is
a nice skill full player but i think his county days are over.

saying that Damien Murray was hard done by a few times with the offaly panel like in 2002
again kilkenny in the leinster semil-final in thurles when he came on as a sub and they took
him off again. murray would give Dooley another choice in the forward line but i wonder if murray
wants to hurl inter county hurling again he is still young enough .

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

I think my drunken haze has just about passed now!!! It was a great day to be a coolderry supporter yesterday. Fair play to Tullamore I was biting my nails at times in the second half when the deficit was reduced to 3. Some great individual performances from Brady, Carroll and Murray but the whole team really hurled solidly also. I think anyone that feels Coolderry werent tested was not watching the second half yesterday,When Tullamore got within 3 points there was a hum dinger of fight for ten minutes until Damien Murray got the third goal to make the victory certain,if we had not scored that I think we could have been clinging on for the last few minutes. I think its time a few people on this site give credit to Coolderry, against shinrone it was said they didnt show up,against Kinnity again it was said and now Tullamore, I think there can be no disputing that Coolderry were the best team in this years championship, unbeaten in 7 games, only 2 goals given away all championship and undoubtedly worthy champions.

concrete
Junior A

Post by concrete »

"dooley, bergin and murray would be as good as anything tipp would have".........noel mcgrath, eoin kelly, lar corbett...3 current all stars, no contest

My Left Foot
Senior

Post by My Left Foot »

Firstly congrats to Coolderry - no quibbles about who deserved to win.

very disappointed at losing as we did - the Tullamore players will be gutted with themselves to have left Coolderry with such a lead at half time. It looked like they might pull it out of the bag again in the second half but it would have been a travesty if they had.

Coolderry were the more ready at throw in and more skilled during the first half. Tullamores touch was off and they bungled a lot off balls and gave soft opportunities away and paid the price.

I still think had Tullamore had Kevin Martin at full forward there would have been a totally different game. I think Joe Brady would have had to go back on him eventually (judging by the way the goalkeeper and full back line tried to get Tullamore back into it now and then. :wink: )

Anyway now Coolderry represent Offaly so best of luck to ye, put the heads down and believe ye can win a leinster title.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

I think the point is being missed here slightly.

The reason the KK inside forward line seem to have the ability to 'peel away' from their markers and score goals is not because of some inherent talent on their part. Instead it occurs because KK play with mobile half forwards who, upon getting behind their man, can bear down on goal at pace and create the all important over-lap.
The current KK team under Cody are masters at this, I've lost count at the number of times they've done it but this is one classic example from 2010 - Watch how the the overlap develops, at pace, and is utilised clinically by KK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syulO4vkyjo

It's not that complex a strategy to develop. Bit of practice in training, make it a policy to go for goal when the opportunity arises and play mobile half forwards who can move at speed. The last part is key and it's why Offaly don't tend to work these kind of goals. Our starting centre forward this year may 'break it up' but he can't turn or move at any acceptable pace. Or score much now that I think of it. Unacceptably limited for an inter-county centre forward, the fulcrum of our attack is static.

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

One little problem with that strategy, we have half forwards that are

a) mobile but incapable of winning primary possesion against an intercounty half back

or

b) imobile but good ball winners

Joe Brady probably gets the most stick of any of the offaly team on this site, in fairness he had a very good year, especially against Galway both days, if you review the tape you will see quite a bit of offalys scores this year came from him breaking or winning the ball cleanly. We dont have another centre forward that can do this at the moment (I dont think Joe Bergin is an option at centre forward no matter how many times it is suggested).

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

We can discuss attacking strategies here all day if we want but as far as I'm concerned only a fool would suggest that Damien Murray would not be up to intercounty level or that he is not at least as good as the forwards we have at the moment.

As for Joe Brady and the centre forward postition......well the Tipperary game this year told us alot about him. He failed to win a single ball that day and 10 of them must have dropped on top of him. I'd be more critical of Dooley and his selectors for letting it continue as long as it did that day than of Brady himself. He didn't do much against Galway the second day if my memory is correct? I don't know what the answer is to the #11 shirt for Offaly but we need another option. One thing I do know is that Brady is hurling mighty stuff for Coolderry at #6 this year!