Offaly vs Limerick All-Ireland SHC Qualifier Phase 2 10/7/10

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Re: Offaly vs Limerick All-Ireland SHC Qualifier Phase 2 10/7/10

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:as noted by Paul Cleary when interviewed by Eoin McDevitt on Newstalk during the week
Does anyone remember on what day when this took place? So I can look it up on d'internet.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

T'was on the 28th, whatever that was - Monday? T'was on around 8.30pm to 8.45 ish.
GreatDayForTheParish wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:as noted by Paul Cleary when interviewed by Eoin McDevitt on Newstalk during the week
Does anyone remember on what day when this took place? So I can look it up on d'internet.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

You won't be laughed at by me anyway, because I share your concerns.
bracknaghboy wrote:I'll be laughed at here but I think this Limerick game is going to be a very difficult assignment next saturday. This could be J. McCarthys last ever match in charge of a intercounty team and I don't expect him to go quietly into the night. He'll have some sort of plan to frustrate Offaly. . . Any notions of a easy win are way off in my opinion.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

No it won't be a easy win for offaly they will have to hurl as well as they did for the two Galway matches
the last two games the pressure was on Galway now it's back on offaly and limerick will have nothing to lose.

But in saying that i hope offaly come out and hurl this limerick team out the gates of tullamore to prove that they
are stepping back up the hurling ladder again. Shane Dooley Joe Bergin are in good form this year as was Brian Carroll the last day
can't see many coming from limerick for this game, with the footballers on before the hurling game there will be big offaly crowd there.

so a win in the first game for the footballers and the hurlers come out all guns blazing and win bye 7 to 10 point win will keep us all
offaly supporters happy UP THE FAITHFUL :D

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Antrim overcame a strong challenge from Carlow tonight on a scoreline of 2-18 - 3-12 so a victory for Offaly over Limerick next Saturday would mean a meeting with Tipperary in Phase 3 of the All-Ireland Qualifiers. Tipp had a relatively easy victory over Wexford in Thurles earlier today on a scoreline of 3-24 - 0-19.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Offaly2010 wrote:Antrim overcame a strong challenge from Carlow tonight on a scoreline of 2-18 - 3-12 so a victory for Offaly over Limerick next Saturday would mean a meeting with Tipperary in Phase 3 of the All-Ireland Qualifiers. Tipp had a relatively easy victory over Wexford in Thurles earlier today on a scoreline of 3-24 - 0-19.
Does it specifically state we can't meet Antrim again?? Remember Carlow lost to Laois in the 1st round proper but then played them again in the qualifiers. I thought they only tried to keep teams apart who had previously played for the 1/4 final stages. I could be wrong?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Taken from the Farmyard site. Ye have been warned . . .
Challenge game this evening in the Gaelic Grounds:

Limerick 0-24 Clare 3-15.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Taken from the Farmyard site. Ye have been warned . . .
Challenge game this evening in the Gaelic Grounds:

Limerick 0-24 Clare 3-15.
wouldn't mind them challenge matches didn't offaly get a bad beating bye cork before the galway game.

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

Speaking of friendlies - does anybody know how did Offaly get on against Dublin in the hurling friendly?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I think Offaly will win, but I also think Offaly will require a large amount of the 70 minute match time to win it.
If Limerick are weak, I don't believe Offaly have enough guile yet to carve them up and make an easy afternoon for themselves.

Offaly have shown great battling qualities so far this year, but how you hurl to 'put it up' to a big team won't necessarily work massively better against a nominally weaker team.
Playing Galway was always going to be about fighting for every ball, closing them down and stopping them from playing. Turning the game into a scrap and trying to create as many 50-50 situations.

Against Limerick, what will Offaly players do if they win the ball a bit easier and get a split second longer on the ball?
Do we have enough players who can look up and actually play the killer ball?
What may happen is that Offaly still lash the ball away, but the motivation and work rate won't be very high when it comes to re-winning it.

The Antrim game may still be a more accurate benchmark of where Offaly really stand. It was great to see Offaly battle Galway to the death, but there was still scope in both games for Galway to go to town when they had a margin built up. Also Galway weren't overly physical which suited Offaly. In Parnell Park against Antrim, it was clear that Offaly didn't enjoy some of the harder hurling. I'm not sure about the current crop, but Limerick teams tend to be tough and well able for bangs and collisions.

I don't think people will be leaving this game flinging down their programmes and vowing to never go see that shower again. But I believe some of the enthusiasm following the Galway performances may be tempered a little. Which may be no harm...

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Paddy Power has it priced up as Offaly 1/20 and Limerick 9/1 with the draw at 18/1. No handicap betting available yet. Never thought I would see the day when we would be at such odds against Limerick and I reckon the bookies have got it wrong on this occasion. Handicap if its available will be someting around Offaly -10pts which would be bit of an ask IMO. Maybe I am being a bit pessimistic but would be happy with just the win at this stage.
"Ohhh mamma!"

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Those odds are just plain stupid.
I'd agree with what Bord na Mona man has posted
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

drummy
Junior B

Post by drummy »

offalyans,
presuming we get over limerick, where does it leave us?? 1/4 final??
it has been a number of years since we last made the 1/4s, get a lucky draw and who knows, we could be in the semi! :D :D

ballinamereman1
County player

Post by ballinamereman1 »

drummy wrote:offalyans,
presuming we get over limerick, where does it leave us?? 1/4 final??
it has been a number of years since we last made the 1/4s, get a lucky draw and who knows, we could be in the semi! :D :D
if we do beat limerick and thats a big if we will then play either tipp or antrim for a place in the last 8..

we could get it hard to beat limerick and prob will.. but at the end of the 70 mins we should have a few pints to spare..

we wont win this by more than 5!!!

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Admission Prices to Qualifiers
Admission to the qualifier games next Saturday in O’Connor Park is cash at the Stiles.
Admission Prices :

Stand—General € 20
Stand----Students/OAP’S € 15
Terrace ---General € 15
Terrace ----Students/OAP’S € 15

Juveniles ( U-16 ) F.O.C.

(taken from offaly gaa.ie)
Last edited by Offaly2010 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.