Question 4

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Question 4

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

A little known hurler by the name of Brian Whelahan has many personal GAA records to his name.
However which one, that still stands to this day, did he achieve before the 80's were finished?

P.S : POTH is barred.

Coolestown1562
Senior

Re: Question 4

Post by Coolestown1562 »

Hazard a guess at the following

-first player to win minor, under 21 and senior provincial titles in the one year
Contae an Riogh

Pot Noodle
Junior B

Post by Pot Noodle »

Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for, but it's true nonetheless: He is the only player to play in an All-Ireland semi-final at minor, under-21 and senior level in the one calendar year (1989).

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Pot Noodle has it. Your prize is one half finished housing estate on the outskirts of Carrick on Shannon, courtesy of our kind sponsors NAMA.

He would have gone one better and reached the final in all three grades 1989 only for the wheels coming off the wagon in the senior semi-final against Antrim.

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

Steward's Inquiry? Surely my answer would merit me at least a percentage stake in that apartment? :D
Contae an Riogh

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

2nd prize is two unfinished estates in Carrick on Shannon!

Pot Noodle
Junior B

Post by Pot Noodle »

But if the wheels hadn't come off he mightn't have been introduced at all. And he would hardly have played in the senior final had they got there seeing as he captained the minors on the same day. But then again, Jimmy Doyle did it I believe...

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Eoin kelly of tipp did it as well, don't think he won the three grades that year. played minor under 21 and came on again galway for the
seniors i think offaly were hurling derry the same day that kelly came on, he was down as sub goalman but came on in the forwards.

Pot Noodle
Junior B

Post by Pot Noodle »

Kelly came on against Galway in 2000 alright, but that was an All-Ireland quarter-final which they lost and Tipp didn't reach the semi-final in minor or under-21 that year either.