Leinster Final

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
MoorefieldFanatic
Junior C

Leinster Final

Post by MoorefieldFanatic »

On the back of this evenings fantasti victory by a Moorefield side which was superior in pretty much every position, I would like to wish the Rhode players well in their future footballing endevours.
With regard to an article posted here last week, written by a "know-nothing-hack" I have to say his comments were insulting and disparraging and were used in the Moorefield dressing room to undo Rhode. Comments like "when this game is dissected and stripped down to the bare bones, Rhode should win." stuck in the minds of our lads as we played controlled, diciplined and attractive football.

"Moorefield on the other hand came into this year’s Leinster campaign on the back of three lean years"

" Both sides can boast of a solid backbone of intercounty performers, but Rhode would be better endowed with “stars”, the McNamees in particular enjoying a level of celebrity not shared by any of their Moorefield counterparts."
What a laugh, where were these so called stars that were so much better than the Moorefiel dplayers? In fact whoever said they were better than our players?
The line that really proved this article was badly prepared and un researched was: "while Moorefield’s underage record has been unspectacular once they get past under 16."
I would like to educate you here. Every layer that played for us yesterday has won at least one Minor and U/21 championship in recent years. With Kevin O'Neill, Kenny Duane, Roli, Paddy Murray and Phil Wolfe winning 3 under 21 titles!
The final quote i will use today "From the heart of Ireland’s racing heartland, they may yet turn out to be that loveable type of thoroughbred that digs deep to just about edge out their opponent by a neck irrespective of how good or bad they are." by jaysus how that line has come back to haunt you. From the first to the final minute this evening, Moorefield were the best team who dominated this over rated Rhode side. We didnt just edge out Rhode, we buried them in the muck at O'Moore Park.
to the know nothing hack I hope you sleep well tonight knowing that your words were used to defeat Rhode today. Word of advise, next time you write a preview, maybe do some research!!

Tom
County player

Post by Tom »

First off... Congratulations to Moorefield on a first leinster title. They did dominate the game, but i feel a drier less windy day would have suited rhode better, but it's the club championship, it's december, so we have to expect this kinda weather. By the way moorefield fan, i'm from Clara, so not a huge rhode fan myself. But Rhode were favorites before the game based on the things that this "know-nothin-hack" said. Before the game, most pundits would have said the same things. So he was proven wrong, but to come on this board of Offaly fans, (Not sportswriters) and gloat, i find it dispicable. Any fan is entitled to their opinion before a game, and i'm sure you wouldn't find rhode fans gloating on any message board except this one.

far from croghan hill
County player

Post by far from croghan hill »

Quick message....Moorefield man is right... the preview for the game is typical of what appears on this message board.. if the moorefield team had of been disected man for man prior to the game it would have showed that they were a better 15 than rhode. moorefield have some fine players who have excelled at minor, u21 and senior level for kildare...leave the mcnamees, shane sullivan (mediocre county player) pascal and roy out of it who have rhode got??? answer = average joe soaps who would run through brick walls for stephen darby..but brick walls isnt enough to win leinster its good enough in offaly. what we should all realise is that offaly club football is crap, no competiton at all for rhode. they struggled over the carlow champs, beat a UCD team that wont feature in the sigerson..sidenote (Ciaran McManus played on a UCD team 2002 in newbridge leinster semi final beaten by Na Fianna- the UCD team that Rhode beat would not hold a candle to this UCD of 2002)....perhaps our "know-nothin-hack" should research the teams that our offaly teams are playing in the future
THERE IT GOES HIGH IN THE ARMS OF WILLE BRYANS!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I don't expect this guy to be back, but I may as well do what I can to come back here.

First up, I got it wrong, I'll be the first to admit it. I will say in mitigation that I had to write this article by last weekend, and if I was in a position to anticipate the type of conditions there were in Portlaoise today I would obviously have attached much more weight to Moorefield's greater power and strength, something I did flag up in the article.

However I will make the following points.....

(1) You take offence when I say Morrefield had three lean years. This is a club who had consistently been at the forefront of the Kildare county championship and along with Sarsfields started as favourites pretty much every year. In that three years, they did not make a county final - is that not lean? Were Moorefield people actually happy with that run?

(2)
I have to say his comments were insulting and disparraging
Please tell me what I said that was an insult to any player on that Moorefield panel?? Coming into this game Moorefield players were not as widely known, nor would they be a team capable of running up a large amount of scores. (I notice when selectively choosing from my article you left out comments like how I would be amazed if Moorefield got any thing over ten or less than eight scores) This is not an insult, merely a fact. If I was to use words like useless/cowardly/inept, that would be insulting, but funnily enough, I did not nor would not use such terms.

(3) By using the word "stars" I implied celebrity as well as ability, and that was why the inserted commas. Niall McNamee is an all star nominee, while Alan was county captain. Like it or not, this gives them a much higher profile than any of the Moorefield players. Also, time may prove differently, but measured on an individual basis, there aren't stars in that Moorefield team. Good club footballers and county panellists a plenty, but stars in the modern sense of the word, no.

(4) I would suggest "Buried them in the muck" is a bit over dramatic. The game was competitive for most of it, and when one factors in that not one guy who was watching the game with me (no other Offaly people) thought that Moorefield should have got that first penalty, it could very easily have been different. Morefield deserved the win - without question. A scutching it wasn't.

(5) My point regarding underage was that Moorefield's underage success tapers off considerably from being dominant at U-16 and below to being competitive at minor and under 21. Maybe you feel the conversion rate is impressive. I would say it's no better than okay, factoring in what ye should be winning with that supply line. Certainly relative to Rhode at those age groups it's considerably less yield. That is only underage, just one measure of a club, but it is no less true. Do not mistake my saying ye were "unspectacular" as I did with saying it was poor - which I most certainly did not.

(6) Now to the most ridiculous quote of all.
Comments like "when this game is dissected and stripped down to the bare bones, Rhode should win." stuck in the minds of our lads as we played controlled, diciplined and attractive football.
Do you honestly mean to tell me that Moorefield's motivation was proving me, an internet writer who has not got the ability to get on a struggling London club senior team, wrong? They were in the biggest game of the club's 122 year history, but their main motivation was some randomer who by his own admission is nothing more than an avid fan with triangular feet? Give it a rest. If that is actually the case, it says very little for them as men. Myself I would be amazed if the commitment those players showed was borne out of anything other than team spirit and pride in their club and home. As of last week very few of those would have had a clue who I was, and I'd be amazed if any of them have a clue who I am now either.

(7) Far from Croghan Hill - last week I tipped Ballyhale to score twenty plus points and demolish Birr - was that also typical of what appears on here?

As many on here will know, I have never pretended to be anything other than what I am, as I have pointed out above - a hopeless player who loves the games, so much so that I've made analysing them my career. However, it might interest you to know that as GAA odds compiler I also stake my personal funds, my career and my reputation on getting GAA matches right more often than not - and you might try and suggest I was wrong today, but here's some harsh facts for you - I made Rhode 4/7 for that match with Moorefield available at 9/5, and the money only came for one side, and that side didn't win. Now perhaps ye just don't like a bet in Kildare, or ye've no bookies down there. :roll: Or maybe ye just like to sing after the event, but when actually putting money on the line, ye get laryngitis. Money talks, BS walks and all that.

To make a final point, and to wrap this up - I've long said that I consider it one of the uglier aspects of GAA that motivation seems to be found mainly through proving some nobody wrong, somebody who is just giving the public what they want - an opinion on a game. Even Henry Shefflin tried to argue that Kilkenny were "written off by the media" after the All Ireland final last September - tawdry rubbish unbecoming of the greatest hurler out there. Now maybe you prefer listening to ex-players doing their thing, i.e. predicting nothing but close tight games and running way shy of saying anything remotely partisan, but most readers I know prefer listening to an opinion and the reasons behind it. I'll even let you in on a little secret - they have been known to disagree with me by times, and opinions being what they are, no-one is right or wrong. On a discussion board, we even encourage that kind of thing.

Now here's another opinion for you, just to finish. Assuming Crokes beat the Nire, Moorefield are the weakest of the four Irish teams left in the AI series, by a good margin. Pin that up in the dressing room if you like. I have priced them at 7/1 to complete the two remaining hurdles, that price is now up on Ladbrokes.com. If you still think my opinion is terrible, I'll fully expect to see a few decent sized bets on the system within the next few days and you can even drop me a private message with your username, and if you actually do that, I'll come on here and say that you actually do believe what you say. You have the internet and all, so I don't want any bulls*** about how you've "had a lump on in the shop". If you do, send me the docket number and I'll check it up.

Otherwise I, and most readers here I suspect, will continue to think of you as an attention seeking after-timing twat, who feels that the most important point that needed to be made after the biggest day in the history of Moorefield GAA club was that some Biffo got it wrong.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Ok, I'm going to try to remain pretty much neutral here. Firstly, Rhode were certainly not buried in the muck yesterday - that's coming from a Clara man, who by no means is a Rhode follower. Rhode had performed very well to claw their way back into the game and but for a couple of badly missed frees, should've been level. Unfortunately for them, Moorefield scored their third goal at a crucial time, stretched their lead to 5 points and effectively killed the game - up to that point, Moorefield had scored 2 penalties and 4 points.
Secondly, maybe LS did get it wrong, but what/who do you think he is? If it was that simple, LS would write his piece, make a prediction and we'd all back the winner - every time! I'm 100% behind LS on this one. He made a call and put it out there...he got it wrong, but so did many others. He most recently made a very accurate prediction for the Leinster Club Hurling Final, which in advance of the match, I myself queried.
The flip-side of the coin is that he may not have done all of his research correctly. Although I won't attempt to defend him here, I doubt if his prediction would've been any different...a few minor and particularly U21 county championships wouldn't have been enough to sway me.
As for the motivating factor, I can just imagine our forum thread pinned up in the Moorefield dressing room! Get a life! An auld A4 piece of paper blue-tacked to the wall...and the Kildare boys grouped around it tearing and pulling at it....
" I'll show this f*cking Lone Shark a thing or two....I'll shove his prediction right up his f*cking ar*e! "
I think you're insulting your club-mates to suggest that they'd rise to the bait of an Internet user with a pseudonym. I suspect you're just settling a personal issue here, that you yourself were disgusted with the preview. Grand, have your speak, but you should've been man enough to debate this before the match.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Typical bulls##t from far from Croghan Hill

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

If the Moorefield fan was so sure that Lone Shark had gotten it wrong, why didn't (s)he post up their rant before the match?

The notion that Moorefield, a team with several inter county players, probably 100+ training session done would suddenly turn from half interested hoofers into Gods of the game, all because of an internet article is ridiculous.

MoorefieldFanatic
Junior C

Moorefield ARE Leinster Champions

Happy Reading....... http://www.kildaregaa.ie

The wind and rains may have driven at Portlaoise yesterday, but to the droves of Moorefield fans in attendance the sun was splitting the trees. A scintillating performance by Kildare’s premier club saw them take the lead after 10 minutes, never to look back. Playing into the gale in the first half, the Moorefield men worked themselves to the bone with a tenacious determined and disciplined performance. Slick passing movements out of an outstanding defence in which Ian Lonergan shone, and accurate passing into a full forward line which Rhode never really got to grips with caused havoc in the first quarter which saw Jason Phillips man handled on two separate occasions for the two penalties. On each occasion, Kildare star Ronan Sweeney clinically dispatched low to the right and low to the left respectively to give the Newbridge side the perfect start.

Daryl Flynn and Ross Glavin went a long way to cementing their status as the best midfield pairing in the county each taking turns to play a sweeping role with maximum effect.

In the opening quarter of the second half it looked like the Rhode would overturn the gallant Moorefield men as they enjoyed a lot of possession. But time and time again the Moore’s defence slammed the door shut, frustrating their opponents on each occasion. With the defining moment coming in 19th minute when 17 year old substitute David Whyte ran on to the end of a perfect Ian Lonergan pass, to smash the ball to the Rhode net with the outside of his boot and with it, smashed the Offaly sides dreams of clinching their first Leinster title.

To a man, Moorefield were outstanding yesterday, the defence moved with cohesion, tackled with grit and on occasion died for each other. The forwards ran till the could run no more, and then ran again in a fairytale final which saw Moorefield become the first Newbridge side to win the Dermot McCabe cup and amazingly only the second Kildare side.

They’re homecoming filtered along the main street on Sunday night on an open back lorry where the reality of the occasion seemed to be hitting home with the players and supporters alike. Large crowds waved them on they’re way along the main street of Newbridge until they reached they’re own stronghold outside Michael Murphy’s furniture store (the clubs main sponsor) where passing became impossible.

There’s little doubt these days will be relived for many years to come, and Moorefield people can take pride in knowing that they’re club have given Kildare football a much needed shot in the arm.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Good man. That addresses all the points raised above. :roll:

Still no bets on Moorefield. Am I to take it that you agree with me that Moorefield are the weakest of the remaining contenders, or should I just wait until ye pull off another upset before you'll come in and tell me that you told me so?

To all the regular posters here, I apologise for being so petty, I realise it's not edifying. Hard to fight the instinct though, and it's been a tough few days at work here.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Think your wasting your time with a ngnach like that lad.

But to get back to the matter of the game....

was at the match and i thought that for the first time this year the Rhode management got their tactics wrong especially in the 2nd half. To see Paschal taking frees in his own half back line when he should have been on the receiving end of them was nonsensical.

Also to see their scorer in chief and main threat in Niall Mc coming out the field in a vain search for the ball was particulary galling.Smacked of a team in panic mode.

However this is not to take away from a fine team performance by Moorefield who thoroughly deserved the win over an under performing Rhode side.

(On a side note How yer man in the green and white suit and the flag didnt get a box off someone from Rhode is beyond me. I was a neutral and he was driving me bananas.)

MoorefieldFanatic
Junior C

I am not a betting man, nor have I ever been. So I will not be laying any money on my club.
Im only aware of 2 other sides apart from ourselves that have qualified for the All-Ireland club series at present Crossmaglen and St. Brigids. I wouldn't fear St. Brigids and should Dr. Crokes qualify, which they probably should. They will do so having lost their county final. That said, Crossmaglen and themselves will be the big names. I would put ourselves at least on a par with St. Brigids if not ahead slightly.
But then again, what do big names matter. We all saw yesterday what cam happen to same!

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Agree with True Red, I though that the Rhode management were poor on Sunday. Shane Sullivan should have been moved to centre back, Bannon to midfield, why was Heavey taken off. Cole and Kilmurray were having bad days at the office. Both should have been gone by half time. Alan Mac needs a big man at midfield, someone to throw his weight around. Alan mac had a poorish game and was at fault for the first penno as he lost the ball in midfield. Was this a penno???.
As for that gobs##e wearing the foreign legion type outfit in green and white, he should have been poleaxed. As for this moorefield twit on this site, he should read Tommy O'Callaghans article in the Leader. It was a disgrace.

MoorefieldFanatic
Junior C

Leinster Final

Now that you mention it, I have heard of quite a few Rhode supporters that were going to "pole axe" and "put you in hospital". As usual with you lot, it turned out to be nothing but mouthing and the inability to take what was being witnessed on the pitch.
Now thats a disgrace!
I wouldnt be too hard on Alan mcNamee, its not often he'll come up against a midfield pairing as good as our lads. As for the penalties, I thought watching the game the first one was dubious, but having watched the video of the match twice since, there is no doubt. Nor was there any doubt that our full forward was being man handled by a fullback and goalkeeper who were unable to deal with him.

Whats isa real disgrace is people wrtiting articles that is completely un-researched and untrue!

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

What is a real disgrace is teams winning a historic first leinster title and one of their supporters going on the internet when he/she should be out celebrating!!

Lone Shark
All Star

Re: Leinster Final

Post by Lone Shark »

MoorefieldFanatic wrote: Whats isa real disgrace is people wrtiting articles that is completely un-researched and untrue!
Right, a lot of this is displaced anger, but for the love of God, either point out where I haven't done my research (Bearing in mind that I never said that Moorefield's results at under 21 and minor were poor, just unspectacular in relation to those of Rhode and factoring the good record at U-16 and below) or where I have said anything untrue.

Or else, just shut the f**k up.

Oh, and since we're being petty .....
"....articles that is competely un-researched and untrue..."
Muppet. And I'm basing that on research of your entire post history.