Leinster V.S Final

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
TheGreatGame
Junior A

Leinster V.S Final

Post by TheGreatGame »

Any views or interest in this years Leinster V.S Final between Banagher and St.Fergals, Rathdowney?
There has always been a healthy rivalry between the two schools but it has intensified considerably in the last 5 or so years with the teams meeting in crunch games every year.
Unfortunately both semi-finals were on the same day and naturally I decided to support the Laois side against a strong Ballyhale side that featured 3 Kilkenny minors. Banagher scraped through the other semi-final against holders Johnstown, gaining revenge for defeat in last years decider. I don't like hyping games, but this final really has all the makings of a classic. Neither team will dare look past Leinster, but the victors will have an excellent chance at A-I honours. From a Rathdowney point of view if we can stop that big Corcoran chap from dominating in the air and stop Ger Scales from posting a high score we are half-way there. For Banagher, stopping Rathdowney centre-back Matt Whelan and centre-forward Willie Hyland will go a long way to winning the game. Both are into their third year as county minors and are two right prospects. Another good prospect, Conor Dunne, had his leg heavily strapped before the Ballyhale game due to hamstring problems and is struggling to be 100% fit for the final.
Banagher won the corresponding Junior final two years ago and the teams are basically the same so on those grounds they would have to start as favourites. Best of luck to both teams.

Any views, anyone going to it?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I wouldn't have thought that Banagher team had anything close to a Leinster title in them, let alone an All Ireland, but fair play to them, they're there now.

Scales and Moran would both be fairly dangerous inside, and the diamond would be well able to look after themselves, but even still I'd see that Rynagh's team as having a lot of weak links. If Rathdowney have any kind of depth in the panel they might find themselves far from underdogs. Corrigan needs to step up and dominate the middle of the field - I'd mark him out as Rynaghs trump card myself.