A taste of the big time again

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

A taste of the big time again

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I know some people would prefer to be playing games like yesterday's in Portlaoise, or Nowlan Park, or wherever. But I just feel there is something extra special seeing any Offaly team line out in Croke Park.
The place is steeped in Offaly, GAA and national history.

Shane Dooley's last minute free sailed over at the same end where Seamus Darby denied Kerry the 5 in a row, where Johnny Dooley and Pat O'Connor raided Limerick in '94 and Whelahan and Errity did a similar double act on Kilkenny in '98.

For 20 or 30 years we owned the place. Yesterday it felt special to once again see the streets and famous watering holes in the capital thronged with Offaly jerseys. After the game every Offaly person, who may have travelled up with doubts, walked a couple of inches taller.

No, Offaly didn't win and are unlikely to be having much say in the destiny of Liam. However much pride was restored by the players who hurled up a fury yesterday, all for the honour of the tri-coloured jersey.

Anyway, its not all about where the All Ireland will end up. All the analysis these days seems to be about who will stop Kilkenny - how Cork are shaping, where does this result leaves Galway's challenge.
In football its the same. Kerry and Tyrone.

How often does the analysis of a Sunday Game pundit open with the line "well neither team are going to win the All Ireland Des". Well what the fcuk if they aren't? I've been amongst Kerry and Kilkenny fans at the final whistle of All Irelands and the wins gave them about as much joy as winning €5 on a lottery scratchcard would.

I felt 10 years younger as I bucklepped around the Hill yesterday when that last free dropped over. Today every time I answer the phone the person on the other end thinks I've an awful dose of the flu, or laryngitis. Its remarkable the effect the men who wield the camán and kick a leather bag filled with wind can have on us! :lol:

Up the Faithful!

Johnno81
County player

Re: A taste of the big time again

Post by Johnno81 »

I was proud to be an offaly man walking out of croker yesterday, was like the good old days again.......

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

I coul'nt beleive how long it was since i was in croker shouting on an offaly team since we were their every sunday when it was like a bomb site, its a pity the replay is not in croker again as i think we would beat them. Great to be back and i agree i felt 10 foot tall leaving croker yesterday, even the cats agreed that the ref was shocking.
Be careful out their

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Bord na Mona man wrote: I felt 10 years younger as I bucklepped around the Hill yesterday when that last free dropped over.
There you have it folks....It can finally be confirmed that BNM man is in fact 'Smokey' :D

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

naasmanxrhode wrote:I coul'nt beleive how long it was since i was in croker shouting on an offaly team since we were their every sunday when it was like a bomb site, its a pity the replay is not in croker again as i think we would beat them. Great to be back and i agree i felt 10 foot tall leaving croker yesterday, even the cats agreed that the ref was shocking.
Went into McDonalds for a bite to eat on the way home last night and the majority of the people there were cats. The quotes I got from them were
"ref was shockin"
"ye were robbed lads"
"ye should have won"
"ye could have won"
"ye'll take them in the replay"
It gave me a feeling of old..Kilkenny men telling me that Offaly will beat Galway who are suppose to be the ones to knock Kilkenny off the top!
I agree with BNM Man about feeling 10 feet taller. As the umpire ran for the white flag I leaped up out of me seat and I heard a couple of roars from Galway men behind me..
"ah sit down will ya"
"sit down to be fcuked"
I turned around around and punched the air and my reply was..
"WE'RE BACK!"

Come on the Faithful!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

bracknaghboy wrote:
Bord na Mona man wrote: I felt 10 years younger as I bucklepped around the Hill yesterday when that last free dropped over.
There you have it folks....It can finally be confirmed that BNM man is in fact 'Smokey' :D
I didn't spot him yesterday.
What was he doing?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Offaly2010 wrote: As the umpire ran for the white flag I leaped up out of me seat and I heard a couple of roars from Galway men behind me..
"ah sit down will ya"
"sit down to be fcuked"
I turned around around and punched the air and my reply was..
"WE'RE BACK!"
As opposed to turning around, punching both of them and telling them you'll stand if you bloody well want! :lol:

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

I was critical of the holding of yesterday's game in Croke Park but I'll admit now, it was great to be back. The streets, pubs, the stadium, it had been too long.

What really made it though, was the outcome of the game. Being able to walk out of the stadium and through the city centre wearing my county colours with pride, t'was like the good oul days all over again. Brilliant. You can't put a price on that.

I'd usually consider myself a reasonably restrained observer at GAA games but I'm happy to say that I completely lost the run of myself yesterday when that last, great free from Shane Dooley sailed over. Buck-leaping around the place like, well a goat, it was some feeling! Yesterday's game had it all, the full spectrum of emotions was covered for Offaly fans. From deepest despair to elation, all in 70 minutes.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Bord na Mona man wrote:How often does the analysis of a Sunday Game pundit open with the line "well neither team are going to win the All Ireland Des". Well what the fcuk if they aren't? I've been amongst Kerry and Kilkenny fans at the final whistle of All Irelands and the wins gave them about as much joy as winning €5 on a lottery scratchcard would.
Dead right, that does my head in. Every game, particularly in the football, up until the All-Ireland Quarter Final/Semi Final stage is analyzed with an air of barely hid contempt and patronization by Brolly and Co.

esto fidelis
Junior C

Post by esto fidelis »

I couldn't make it to Croker as I was in hospital during the week and it broke my heart to miss out.
I had me ear glued to the wireless regardless and was leapin around the house when Shane landed the last free. I've been following this group of lads for a long while now and I was so proud to see them mix it the big boys! whats next?
Can we do it Saturday? I hope we continue to build and the see the same heart and pride in the jersey the lads showed yesterday in coming years!

Up the faithful!!

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

i was at my neices chritening and the brother in law had relations and friends down from Offaly.

After we'd finished watching the world cup someone brought in a laptop so we could watch the game on the webcast.

There were Galway and Offaly fans in the room and the banter was brillient.

When Shane Dooley levelled the scores us Offaly boy's were jumping around like lunatics, we could'nt believe it, it was like we were there at the match.

Your'e absaloutly right BNM it felt like we were walking as you say a few inches taller at least for a few hours anyway.

All i can say is can we have more please!!!!

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

God it felt amazing floating out of Croker yesterday and whatever about us supporters it was fantastic for the players more so. These players sweated blood yesterday for the county and I'm certain that for a few hours last night we all forgot our problems and hassles to just enjoy a magnificent performance from the guys. From my own point of view I lost it big time yesterday and I spent last night in agony, the Pacemaker and throat were both fucked but I didn't care, I would quite happily suffer the same next Saturday night if our footballers and hurlers do the business. Whatever happens next Saturday night, yesterday was a day to treasure. UP OFFALY.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Yes it certainly was nice to be able to walk out of the stadium with your head held high knowing that your county had if nothing else won the respect of the GAA public. They battled away and some of the scoring on both teams was breathtaking. It was great to be back at HQ on a gorgeous sunny summer day, being part of a great hurling occasion. Edge of the seat all the way, It was one hell of an amazing game.

Make no mistake about it, Galway went out to bury Offaly and to Bury them early. Canning's early efforts showed the Galway plan, knock them early and they wont get up. Offaly stuck to the task for the full 70 and its full credit to them. The likes of Carroll and Bergin are classy hurlers who will punish any defense if they get ball in hand. I hope a consistency of performance is achieved now. Hopefully they can go out and tear into Galway again next weekend.

I dont know if Offaly are back, but I hope they are on the way back.