Galway's win over Kilkenny - Good for Offaly hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

turk wrote:look at clare in 95 - some very good players granted but if they sat in the dressing room picking an All Ireland XV and having big sad heads cos only one or two would get on it - - - - it's just not the outlook you take!
That's my point - it's not as if they consciously did that, but if they did, they'd have come up with Davey, Lohan, Seanie Mac and Jamesie, not to mention Lynch, Baker and Daly who wouldn't have been far off. Or they could have used what Mike Mac and Skeletor gave them - the rock soild belief that they had put themselves through more than any other team, and as a result they were going to be fitter/faster/harder when the need arose.

I'm not saying you think like that all the time, but in order to believe you're going to beat a team like Kilkenny - to really believe it, not just recite it - you have to have something to hold on to, however contrived it is. If you had mindless Zombies who could be controlled that would be one thing, but for lads that have a brain in their head, then they need something to say "at least we have that over them". The 1969 Offaly boys would at least have believed that Kilkenny could hurl, but that they'd be tougher and harder than them.

Westmeath is a cod of an example - they didn't actually conquer their demons, teams lied down in front of them. We kicked sixteen wides, left our form forward on the bench for the first half and they beat us by a wide ball. Dublin kicked another terror of wides and threw it away as well. Kilkenny won't do that for us.

I hate being this negative guy, but I just can't understand how some of ye are able to disregard what I see as being pretty overwhelming evidence.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Turk is right.
I don't think the players can have any more excuses for falling apart against Kilkenny
The supporters shouldn't meekly accept it either.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

"going into matches expecting to lose is bad news. "

I agree - however I'm not sure how you condition yourself to believe otherwise when there's no logical basis for it.
You cannot apply logic to the sporting arena.Bookies do.And most of the time they win.But sometimes they lose.Liverpool in this years Champions league final,Greece in Euro 2004,Offaly in 1994 when they were 6 points down,Offaly in 97 when they came from nowhere to win a leinster and a league in 98,Edenderry in 2001 when they came from 8 points down to draw and eventually beat Rhode in a replay.Any of the players involved in those matches werent saying to themselves in the dressing room going out that the opposing team are just better than us and we will do well to keep it kicked out to them.they were saying that we are going to beat those fcukers next door and by god we will die doing it.
I'm not saying you think like that all the time, but in order to believe you're going to beat a team like Kilkenny - to really believe it, not just recite it - you have to have something to hold on to, however contrived it is.
Any player to puts on any jersey for any club or county believes that he is better than the opponent he is facing.Now he might not be, but if he isnt,its the managers job to instill that belief so that when he crosses that white line he has no doubts.

As a youngster growing up and playing football in the red of edenderry i always believed we were going to win.Always.Most clubs in offaly are the same.

Dont want to sound insulting to Lone Shark but is his lack of playing pedigree making him resort to logic and theories when at times in sport both of these go out the window?

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Lone Shark wrote:
turk wrote:look at clare in 95 - some very good players granted but if they sat in the dressing room picking an All Ireland XV and having big sad heads cos only one or two would get on it - - - - it's just not the outlook you take!
That's my point - it's not as if they consciously did that, but if they did, they'd have come up with Davey, Lohan, Seanie Mac and Jamesie, not to mention Lynch, Baker and Daly who wouldn't have been far off. Or they could have used what Mike Mac and Skeletor gave them - the rock soild belief that they had put themselves through more than any other team, and as a result they were going to be fitter/faster/harder when the need arose.

I'm not saying you think like that all the time, but in order to believe you're going to beat a team like Kilkenny - to really believe it, not just recite it - you have to have something to hold on to, however contrived it is. If you had mindless Zombies who could be controlled that would be one thing, but for lads that have a brain in their head, then they need something to say "at least we have that over them". The 1969 Offaly boys would at least have believed that Kilkenny could hurl, but that they'd be tougher and harder than them.

Westmeath is a cod of an example - they didn't actually conquer their demons, teams lied down in front of them. We kicked sixteen wides, left our form forward on the bench for the first half and they beat us by a wide ball. Dublin kicked another terror of wides and threw it away as well. Kilkenny won't do that for us.

I hate being this negative guy, but I just can't understand how some of ye are able to disregard what I see as being pretty overwhelming evidence.
it is not a cod of an example. westmeath man for man were no better than offaly last year and were a joke in the league. in fact i remember your analysis last year on gaaboard that offaly would win simply because they were better and have better players. westmeath were down to 14 men but they kept in there, all their backs frustrating and harassing lads at every chance in the second half and kept going. o'se and o'flaharta instilled that into them. same with loughnane with clare.

if offaly were drawn against kilkenny next year, i wouldn't expect them to win. i'd expect kilkenny to come out after being in a game. but jaysus, we're setting the bar low if we're not expecting to beat limerick, wexford and clare. and tipp aswell, no excuses. and waterford.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

True Red wrote:You cannot apply logic to the sporting arena.Bookies do.And most of the time they win.But sometimes they lose.Liverpool in this years Champions league final,Greece in Euro 2004,Offaly in 1994 when they were 6 points down,Offaly in 97 when they came from nowhere to win a leinster and a league in 98,Edenderry in 2001 when they came from 8 points down to draw and eventually beat Rhode in a replay.
Of course you can apply logic to these things – logic tells you that there is a statistical chance of everything happening, and the art of bookmaking is estimating that chance. Offaly in 1994 were probably about 12/1 before the free scored by JD was awarded. That means that 93% of runnings they would have lost that game, 7% of runnings they would have won. To our eternal joy the free was given, the ball hit the net and we all know the rest. Equally there is no such thing as “cannot happen” in the sporting world, but clearly there are outcomes more likely than others, or else every team would start the year at the same price to win the All Ireland. The only reasons bookies ever lose in the long run is if they estimate these probabilities incorrectly.

True Red wrote:Any player to puts on any jersey for any club or county believes that he is better than the opponent he is facing. Now he might not be, but if he isnt,its the managers job to instill that belief so that when he crosses that white line he has no doubts.
I won’t lie to you – I find this part difficult to grasp. Players are intelligent human beings – how on earth does Barry Teehan take the field marking Henry Shefflin and genuinely believe that he is a better hurler than him? He might believe that he’ll fight harder for each ball, that he’ll get in the way and not let him obtain possession, that he’ll have trained harder and get to the ball first, and that overall he can come out on top by winning a series of individual battles, but how do you believe that you’re better? Muck and all as I am, with nothing but five a side soccer staving off fatness in my advancing years, I regularly play lads that are much more talented than I am – and often outplay them due to busting a gut, reading the game better and winning more of the little battles for each ball. I don’t think I could ever believe that I’m any good though – and I don’t see how anyone would convince me.

In my underage hurling career (a brief sojourn that didn’t go any further than fifteen years of age due to too much getting outclassed by better and bigger hurlers began to take it’s toll on me) I marked two current intercounty players – Conor Gath and Colm Cassidy. Cassidy in particular made an absolute monkey out of me, needless to say, though at 14 years of age Cassidy was making a monkey out of most of the hurlers in Offaly that year. Now I marked him twice, and no manager could have convinced me going out the second day that I was better than him. I didn’t believe it to begin with, but if he tried it I would have laughed him out of it. Needless to say I was told to run, hook block and harass as much as I could. I think I kept him to about 1-8 from midfield that day. :roll:

True Red wrote:As a youngster growing up and playing football in the red of edenderry i always believed we were going to win. Always. Most clubs in offaly are the same.
I always felt the same when playing for Ferbane – but that was because of better players than me. I had things to hold on to – Ferbane’s underage record, some of the talented players that we had playing for us that seemed to me like they were ready for intercounty even then!! :D My view is that I don’t see what those things players can believe in are now.
True Red wrote: Dont want to sound insulting to Lone Shark but is his lack of playing pedigree making him resort to logic and theories when at times in sport both of these go out the window?
Not insulted at all – I was small, timid and useless as a kid, and a sequence of batterings by lads that were growing much faster than me and much more talented to begin with browned me off completely, and as a result I don’t have that GAA player’s mentality. I’ve never pretended otherwise.

Not trying to sound contrary, but this keeps coming back to the same thing. People maintain that you have to believe that you’re going to beat your opponent – I agree. However if you were on the field for that 31 point hammering in June, how on earth can you believe that? It would be very helpful to believe it, but where does McIntyre begin in terms of “convincing” his players? Put simply, if ye were McIntyre, and sitting in a dressing room in November before the first training session of the year in front of 30 lads, what would ye say?

(I’m aware that I’ve been told by many people, including the yungwan, that I think way too much – but how the hell do you tell your brain to stop thinking and ignore the evidence?)

Regarding BnaMman’s comment about the players falling apart – on that you are right – the capitulation we saw this year is unacceptable, and should never happen. But even if we hurled our best throughout the second half, we were still looking at losing by 15+. However that doesn’t change the fact that if next year Kilkenny put in a seven out of ten performance, we could play at full pelt and put every chance over or under the crossbar and I still think we’d fall short. I mightn’t like it, I certainly would exhort them to keep going for the win rather than just perform cosmetic surgery on the scoreline, but deep down I wouldn’t believe it until it happened. That’s not to say that I don’t think this current team couldn’t catch Kilkenny on an offday, and would come on 50% for that result alone, but there you go.

Turk, talking about Clare/Limerick/Wexford/Waterford is different - it's a lot easier convince players for games like that - indeed while results and logic dictate that we are ninth, I'd have a sneak that with a bit of improvement which will come from hurling in division one next year, we'd be well able for any of those. This topic started based on how we're entitled to see encouragement for a possible game against Kilkenny though - and I see none.

I stand by my analysis of OY vs WH last year by the way - O'Se and O'Flaithearta could have done all they liked, but the fact remains that if McManus had even a 4/10 day at the office, or the umpire hadn't suffered from temporary glaucoma, or the forwards hadn't collectively had a nightmare, then we would have won that game. If we had drawn, we would have played them in a replay in Tullamore/Dunnes Stores Mullingar and beat them by seven points. We lost that game, Westmeath did not win it. My point is that I don't see this Kilkenny team extending us that favour.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

I think this thread needs Biff or AZOffaly to adjudicate on this one

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Lone Shark wrote:Regarding BnaMman’s comment about the players falling apart – on that you are right – the capitulation we saw this year is unacceptable, and should never happen. But even if we hurled our best throughout the second half, we were still looking at losing by 15+. However that doesn’t change the fact that if next year Kilkenny put in a seven out of ten performance, we could play at full pelt and put every chance over or under the crossbar and I still think we’d fall short. I mightn’t like it, I certainly would exhort them to keep going for the win rather than just perform cosmetic surgery on the scoreline, but deep down I wouldn’t believe it until it happened.
Not having a realistic chance of winning is still no excuse to lie down like a sissy. :!:

azoffaly
All Star

KK v Offaly

Post by azoffaly »

I'm going to weigh in here on the side of the optimists. The essential question was 'Is the Kilkenny defeat a positive for Offaly'. I believe it is.

In Offaly we for too long in recent years have been prostrating ourselves on the altar of Kilkenny. It becomes a self perpetuating myth. We believe we are worse than them, ergo we get a beating, which in turn leaves us less well off in the future, hence another (worse) beating.

There is an old axiom in sports that it is 15 v 15, and this is a truism. I cannot, and will not, accept that Kilkenny hurlers are intrinsically better hurlers than our lot. There are skillful players on the Offaly team, equally as skillful as their Kilkenny counterparts.

I take LS's point about Logic, and, in truth of course some of that seeps into the mind in the form of self doubt. However, even logic would point to a much more competitive showing from Offaly. If Kilkenny were to call themselves Wicklow, we'd be a lot closer to them based on the following 'Logic'.

We are as good as Clare, Limerick or Wexford. Galway would not frighten us. All of these teams have given Kilkenny fits, and Wexford and Galway have scalped the cats. Why not us?

This is what the players need to be telling themselves. Look in a mirror. Think of Birr's success. Think of the Cats as 15 lads who have been shown to be very fallible in recent years. Believe. BELIEVE.

A sports arena is the harshest examination of self-confidence and preparation. The glare of a big game leaves no-where to hide. The management and players have got to believe that they can BEAT Kilkenny. I believe logically, and emotionally, that we have the hurlers to be a lot closer to Kilkenny than recent results have shown. I also believe that on any given Sunday we can beat any other team in the country.

The management need to calmly point this out to the players, and constantly re-inforce it. No shouting and roaring, just facts.

Then cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war next summer, and we'll not be too far away from a Leinster title again. F*ck this underdog sh*te. We were at that craic for long enough for no reason.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Hear hear AZ, the voice of reason`

The Biff
All Star

Emmmmmmm

Post by The Biff »

I hesitate to enter a discussion like this where I KNOW that most of the other participants can beat the pants off me when it comes to GAA experience and knowledge of past games.

However, I have full confidence in my debating skills, just reading the points made by each side, judging the tone, spoting the discrepancies, looking for an opening to shoot down a point or two.

I think this is not unlike where Offaly and Kilkenny might stand on a Hurling field. We will never beat them in the Statistics field. We will never even match them at this stage of history. But we dont have to.

If I was a Team Manager, I would try to instill one simple message in the minds of my charges: I'm getting the next ball.

No matter how my opponent has played so far, the next tussle is mine, and the next score will be ours. I never underestimate the power of Psychology in Sport, and even moreso in Amateur Sport. If I can raise my game, then I believe my direct opponents' will almost inevitably diminish some degree. Maybe not much, but some.

Thus is the task of the Team Manager - convince your charges to raise their own games. the rest will take care of itself. Whether that is enough to win any one match is totally consequential on this. And when it's 15 v 15 on a pitch, the greater self-belief will win, because even good skill can be blocked or marked.

Sports Results are great to create Statistics, but the opposite is definitely NOT true, especially in an Amateur Sport.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I'm bad enough when I start getting optimistic the week of the game. Now ye're going to have me getting optimistic the previous August. There's no hope for me at all.

I'll certainly settle on this - we are behind Kilkenny now - by a long way I'll wager. But, if we improve by one point for every game we get to play in division one, that brings us within range of where a few little breaks could make all the difference - which leads us on to Biff's "next ball" philosophy.

It will require an awful lot of mental conditioning over the next 8 months - but ye've given me reason to believe it could be done, I'll say that.

Doon Massive
All Star

Post by Doon Massive »

I think thats the key, what happened at the weekend doesn't mean we are capable of beating the cats right now, but it gives us something to build on for the coming months/years, and we need to improve our underage structure.

That said, if we were playing them tomorrow, deep down we'd all be thinking, we can beat them...........its GOING TO HAPPEN!

Offaly
Probably the most optimistic county in the world :wink:

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

I'm afraid lads that Kilkenny losing to Kilkenny has no more impact on Offaly hurling than Laois footballers losing to Armagh has. The simple fact is that Offaly hurling has never recovered from the heavy defeat that they suffered from Kilkenny in the All Ireland in 2000!!

The simple fact is that Offaly hurlers know at the start of the year that they are very unlikely to win either a Leinster not to mention an All Ireland, so there's very little motivation for the year for the players & as a result some of the better young hurlers in the county don't even bother going in because ultimately there training for nothing!!!

The attitude in the Offaly hurling camp for the Kilkenny game this year was reflected in the Managers comments leading up to the game, John McIntyre saying that Offaly's only chance of winning against Kilkenny was if they put up a road block on the way up to Dublin & didn't allow the Kilkenny team bus through!! Now that wasn't mind games I don't think, I think that was a manager being very realistic about his teams chances!!!
But can anyone tell me the last time a manager spoke like that about his teams chances??

The other problem Offaly face is that they have to bring back Brian Whelahan a week or two before the start of the Championship!!! Now nobody rated sid higher in his day that I did, but bringing a lad back who hasn't trained all year just because he is was a brilliant wing back in his day....hardly sends out all the right messages to the players!!! Hurlering is as much about fitness as it is about skill....and Football is even more so, so trying to play players who haven't trained means that we're on a hidding to nothing. If Brian Whelehan isn't prepared to come back & train with the rest of the lads then he shouldn't be given preference over other lads....if thats the case then sure next year we'll spring the team from 98 again....granted none of them will have trained but sure isn't every other hurling county bringing back past players at the last minute....aren't they??

On a final point I think that the Offaly management got it terribly wrong for alot of the championship games, Mick O Hara was an excellent corner back 2 years ago....yet they played him as a half forward, Colm Cassidy is probably one of our best defenders...but McIntyre was willin to let him & a few other lads just walk off the panel, we still have no full back, Joe Brady is not a full forward...he's too slow to start off with, but he's also zero threat in front of goals, we need 2 bigger men at midfield because Diggy is too small, also Gary Hanniffy should be dropped off the team, because can anyone tell me the last time Gary Hanniffy actually played well for Offaly for 70 minutes, he's only on the team because he's from Birr!!!

My hope is that Offaly hurlers get there act together soon & get back to being a force in hurling....but its hard to see how!!!
The Untouchable

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

That’s much more pessimistic than even I’d be at the worst of times. I certainly wouldn’t go as far as to say that a Leinster title is unrealistic – and as pointed out above, we are a long way short of Kilkenny, but not very far off Clare/Wex/Tipp/Lk at all – and a good winter and spring could bring us even closer.

Regarding management and your points in the last paragraph, I’m going to weigh in and support them.

(1) Our corner backs last year of Franks and Teehan were in good form, and Franks probably should have won an Allstar in 2003. O’Hara is a hard tenacious hurler who I have time for, but he is loose. He’s not a tight marker, and though the two boys had a ‘mare in Croke Park this year, McIntyre wasn’t to know that going in – the lads deserved their chance, and Cleary probably cemented his slot when he came in.
(2) Colm Cassidy and two of the other four were in Birr drinking when they were supposed to be at a training session. That’s not just indisciplined, it’s brazen. They put two fingers up at management, and McIntyre did what he had to do there. The fact that Cassidy, probably one of our most talented players, was playing badly enough to be dropped against Waterford shows how disinterested he is. Diarmuid Horan, a minor, took three goals off him for Rynaghs in the last game I saw him play. Cassidy either needs a serious attitude adjustment, or he’ll just be a might have been I’m afraid.
(3) Ger Oakley is not Brian Lohan, and I don’t think he’d ever pretend to be. However he is fiercely committed, and is willing to do a job for the county in an area where we have no outstanding candidates. He looks like he could be cleaned any day, but it still rarely happens – he always gets something in the way and defends the sqare with his life – certainly good enough for me. Even in the Kilkenny debacle this year, DJ got one goal off him, and that when Oakley had to advance and leave him. The problems were in the corners, not at full back. Anyway, who do you think county management is ignoring for that job? Healion is not bad, but has a ways to go yet, and as mentioned above, O’Hara is not really the tight marker you’d need in that position. Beyond that I can’t think who you’d suggest.
(4) Joe Brady is not a full forward – I’ll grant you that – BUT – the exploits of Webster for Tipp this year proved that there is a place for the big full forward in the game. Brady was put there in the league campaign, the only prep we had, and scored nine goals in three games if I’m not mistaken. Yes, the opposition was cat, but it was the only opposition we had. It was worth a go – he tried his best but it didn’t suit him – nothing ventured nothing gained. Again, not management’s fault.
(5) Best midfielder on display last Sunday was Tommy Walsh – just as small as Diggy. He has no fear, great wrists and can hit points from range – whatever problems we have, Cordial is not one of them.
(6) The last time Hanniffy played well was against Clare – only two games ago. We all know how he hasn’t used his size in an Offaly shirt as much as we’d all have liked, but he still is a good hurler, can catch ball, and if he get’s into an aggressive frame of mind can be very good. I think with the right mental preparation he can be a big player for us next year – and again, it’s not like alternatives are beating don the doors?

We have a full second half of a club championship for new players to stick their hands up for inclusion. Until someone does, I’m loathe to blame management for the rotten state Offaly hurling was in last year. Give them time, and let them have an effect on things.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

at this stage of the thread i'm now agreeing with Lone Shark.

I was disappointed with the bies walking off the panel. I think we've made the best of what we've had this year. if it wasn't for the trouncing against kilkenny it would have been a reasonable year