Points difference rule??

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
summerbreeze
Junior B

Points difference rule??

Post by summerbreeze »

Hey,

I'm just wondering does anyone know what the story is with points difference coming into play? I always thought, and looking back through the feeds there, it seemed some others did too, that if 2 teams were level on points after all games were played, that then the points difference of the teams would come into play. Now the word on the street is that some new rule was passed recently that this is not the case.?

So if this isn't the case then what does the 'new rule' state? i know this will only probably affect group 2 of edenderry, ferbane, tullamore and tubber. But still am interested in knowing whether my heart attack at Doon pitch on sunday will be called for or not?? :D

Also, what are people's views on the fact that Ferbane and Tullamore lads had to play a championship hurling game last night and are expected to turn around and play championship football on sunday??? :?:

Treasurer
All Star

Re: Points difference rule??

Post by Treasurer »

If two teams finish level, the result between the two teams is what counts over score difference.

john locke
Junior A

Post by john locke »

Can someone confirm 100 % on this , I assumed it was points difference otherwise why is is listed in the tables
Sometimes you meet your destiny on the road you took to avoid it

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

john locke wrote:Can someone confirm 100 % on this , I assumed it was points difference otherwise why is is listed in the tables
A change to Rule 117 was put forward by the Rules Drafting Committee to Ard Chomhairle and approved on June 13th. All competitions finishing after May 18th should be dealt with under this rule (which will be Rule 6.22 in the new 2009 Rule Book)

Rule 117

(c) Where teams finish with equal points for qualification for the concluding stages, or promotion or relegation, the tie shall be decided by the following means and in the order specified:

(i) Where two teams only are involved - the outcome of the meeting of the two teams in the previous game in the competition;

(ii) Scoring difference (subtracting the total scores against from total scores for);

(iii) Highest total for;

(iv) A play-off.

Exceptions to (c):

(i) If the accumulated scores of a team, so involved, are affected by a disqualification, loss of game on a proven objection, retirement or walkover, means (ii) and (iii) may not be used.

(ii) Regulations (i), (ii) and (iii) shall not apply to under 16 or younger age grade competitions.

That's as close to 100% as I can give you.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

That implies that the "result between" scenario only applies where two teams are tied, and that it's points difference as per usual if there are three teams involved. However that's something that all the clubs would do well to clarify between now and their final round of games.

Treasurer, thanks for the help there by the way. Always great to have the insight from the other side of the fence so to speak.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

noodles
Junior A

Post by noodles »

So if Tullanore beat Ferbane and if Tubber beat Edenderry leaving three teams on 4 points, what's the story? :? Or if if Ferbane beat Tullamore and if Edenderry beat Tubber leaving three teams on 2 points, what's the story? :? Does it come down to the points rule then? :? :? :?
move the ball fast into the full forward line

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I'd like to second that, by the way.
Lone Shark wrote:Treasurer, thanks for the help there by the way. Always great to have the insight from the other side of the fence so to speak.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

john locke
Junior A

Post by john locke »

Thanks for the information lads.
Sometimes you meet your destiny on the road you took to avoid it

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

So if 3 teams finish level on the same points and they have all beat each other, no walk overs in the group, does it then fall to scoring differences?

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Yes, then points difference comes into it
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean