senior football champ

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
mrbinman
Junior C

senior football champ

Post by mrbinman »

rhode and gracefield get byes for topping, group straight to semis

Q-Finals
ballycumber v Tubber

Tullamore V Clara

big guns are all still there incl Tullamore who scraped thro on points difference but looked impressive against the bridge and should have won by more.
Ballycumber will fancy their chances too drawn against tubber and playing well all year.
Rhode are there too and would be fancied to beat whoever gets to semi to play them though they havent been playing well of late.
Clara think they will win it this year after being close the last few years but will do well to get over tullamore.
outsiders Tubber have done well till now, get the most out of themselves, but probably lack that bit of class to advance any further.
Gracefield have slipped in quietly under the radar, seem to be well organised and with the fitzpatricks back on board will really fancy their chances of upseting the odds.

there for anyone i reckon, so who is going to win it.
anyone have the latest odds on the 6 teams

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: senior football champ

Post by Lone Shark »

Only Gracefield can beat Rhode for my money. Last weekend proved that Rhode have no midfield and if Niall Smith can win the same amount of ball that Jimmy Grennan did, there's no way that Gracefield will concede 2-17.

Can't see anyone else upsetting the apple cart - though if Clara beat Tullamore, as i think they will, they'll be a tricky draw in the semi.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Tar Man
Junior A
Club: Shamrocks

Post by Tar Man »

Saw both Tullamore and Rhode against Ferbane and I have to say I think Tullamore have the better chance of winning the championship. They are a more rounded team even though their attitude cost them that day. At seven points to one up they thought that they had the game won and took the foot off the pedal. With Cathal Daly now having a few games under his belt I think that they will push on. McConway will probably be back the next day as well. The fact that they have got a huge fright only just making it through should ensure that they concentrate on the job at hand. I wasn't overly impressed with Rhode (Niall McNamee excepted - 1-10 speaks for itself) whose Full Back Line and Midfield were in diserray. They can obviously improve but I think Tullamore have the more rounded team.

I haven't seen a whole lot of the other teams but as mrbinman has said Gracefield have slipped in under the radar. Tubber seem to have got most of the attention in knocking Shamrocks out. Any team that has a fully fit Karl Slattery and probably Offaly's best player this year, Niall Smith, will have to be considered. Ballycumber have also been improving steadily over the last few years. The potential of two minor teams that made the county finals a few years back have not been wasted it seems.

Anyway it's Tullamore for me. Should be interesting.

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

its tullamore for me aswell . wouldnt have said that after losing to a poor ferbane team but they seem to bit hiting a bit if form of late and in o conner park they are very hard to beat .
great history hoping for a better future

Dynamite
Junior A

Post by Dynamite »

Kemo Sabe wrote:its tullamore for me aswell . wouldnt have said that after losing to a poor ferbane team but they seem to bit hiting a bit if form of late and in o conner park they are very hard to beat .
To be fair, If Tullamore were entered in the Premiership, the Champions League and the FA Cupin the morning, you'd tip them for the Treble.

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

i wouldnt go as far to say the treble definitely say they would win the double though :D .
great history hoping for a better future

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Tullamore for me too but gotta say that the Tullamore/Clara game should be an absolute dinger! This is where it gets really really interesting. Would love to see a Rhode/Tullamore final.
"Ohhh mamma!"

redser
County player

Post by redser »

Its been a strange championship and the standard quiet poor overall.

Gracefield- Most peoples favouites now after most impressive results in competition to date. Woznt impressed by them against Edenderry however and they still have plenty of weak links. If their midfield loses out they will be in huge trouble. I dont rate some of their defenders at all, prone to fouling and a sticky ref could lead to big headaches for their management.

Rhode- Far from the teams of 04', '05 and '06. They are there for the taking but they are still winning while playing badly which is an ominous sign for the others. Shamrocks tore them apart last year and i can see something similar being very possible this year if any of the other sides hit form. Having said that they are man for man better than any other team in left in compettion.

Clara- A dangerous outfit now in the knock out stages. On their day they could beat any team because they have a number of scoring forwards. They are not class, they are not the best team in the competition but they still have players that know how to win and will be in with a shout. Tullamore and them is generally a tight encounter. The one worry for Clara is Tullamore have the players to spoil Clara's match winners.

Tullamore- Well amazingly having lost 2 games they are still in the championship. Its laughable really and you would have to wonder if their name is on the cup. Obviously luck never fails to let them down. They have solid players in most positions and while they are not a very fancy footballing side they can be very effective and have a good manager. Its a tough one to call between them and clara. I dont think O'Grady is the player sum people think he is but if Tullamores inside line can hit form they will beat alot of teams.

Ballycumber- Fairly impressive this year. They always try hard and play some decent football. I wouldnt be suprised to see them in the final. It would have to be a poor championship for them to win it, but this has been a poor championship so who knows. They should see off Tubber but they know eachother very well from underage teams so it could be tight.

Tubber- Same as Ballycumber in that it would have to be a poor championship for them to win it. They try very hard and have good work rate. The main reason they are where they are is enthusiasm in abundance even if they lack real quality. They have had a good year and will be well happy of the score difference ruling. From what i hear they were steeped to get late scores against Gracefield but thats football and Tubber wont lie down against anyone. They still lack quality overall.