County hurling championship resumes

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

County hurling championship resumes

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The county hurling championship returns this weekend following the summer break. While there are six matches down for decision, having three clubs qualifying from each group doesn’t mean anyone’s interest in the championship would be dealt a mortal blow should they lose over the weekend. The next round will be ‘moving day’ rather like the Saturday on the pro golf circuit.

Because of the summer break there’s no real form to go on as clubs will be reunited with their returned countymen (those who have them) while some will have lost hurlers who have travelled abroad and others will have restricted numbers available due to intermediate or junior teams with championship prospects. Others will be hampered due to lack of interest, perhaps disillusioned with incompatible management or the like. Whatever. These are the varieties that make up the spice of club hurling life.

The Kinnitty – Shinrone match on Sunday evening looks, on paper, to be the most difficult to call. Shamrocks and Lusmagh will be closer than many think while Tullamore will give K/K plenty to think about. Birr, Coolderry and St. Rynaghs will have too much for Clareen, Drumcullen and Belmont respectively.

LUSMAGH v SHAMROCKS Friday, 7.30 pm
These are the kind of matches Lusmagh struggle in. Shamrocks will hurl in a style somewhat similar to Dublin- a running, handpassing gamewhich lusmagh find difficult to come to terms with. This probably will decide second and third place in this group. Remember Shamrocks gave St. Rynagh’s a good run for it in May.
The last meeting of the two was two years ago when Lusmagh had a good start but lost control after that and needed a late goal to win it by one. Having had a sustained run at inter county level will stand to Derek Molloy for the rest of the year and their footballers will have a big edge on fitness and strength.
LAST MEETING:- Lusmagh 2-13 Shamrocks 1-15 (4th round 2005)

ST, RYNAGH’S v BELMONT Saturday, 6pm
A first clash at this level for these neighbours since 1986, which ended Belmont’s previous stint in senior hurling. ‘Rynagh’s have ambitions far beyond this stage, while Belmont need to win to keep in contention even more so if Shamrocks win on Friday night.
Belmont wowed us all in 2004 and 2005 but have lost some of their leading lights since, mainly in defence. They should place David Kenny in the half back line, to try and get the ball to the Egans in space as quickly as possible. Having him line out at full back against Lusmagh backfired on them. Conor Hernon will probably follow Alan Egan. Being neighbours, Belmont will give this loads for a while, but ‘Rynagh’s, with their greater experience, power and skill should win this well.
LAST MEETING:- 1986 (don’t have the score).

KILCORMAC/KILLOUGHEY v TULLAMORE Saturday, 7pm
K/K have two wins under their belts and will secure qualification if they win here, their remaining match being against Coolderry. They weren’t really tested against either Ballyskenagh or Drumcullen back in May. Around this time they were running up big scores in the league also. These big scores have since dried up though league form isn’t something that would dominate the build up for any club.
It’s a while since Tullamore made a mark in the championship, though Shane Dooley’s involvement with the county will bring him on. Tullamore will look to him to lead their attack. Tullamore won the last clash of the pair so they won’t have any hang-ups about the green and gold although being at home isn’t that big of an advantage. Again, K/K, with their greater championship ambitions should continue their good run.
LAST MEETING:- Tullamore 3-11 Kilcormac/Killoughey 1-9 (2nd round 2004)

BIRR v SEIR KIERAN Saturday, 7.30pm
Birr will certainly win this. Michael Verney’s recovery from injury comes at just the right time for them. Brian Watkins’ progression with the county under 21’s gives them another option in defence. Dylan Hayden’s performance in defence will be eagerly watched as will Brian Whelahan’s in attack.
The Clareenmen are struggling at the end of a successful cycle, as happens all successful rural clubs. Tey don’t have the power, or the personnel at this stage. They will be looking to the next round and neighbours, Kinnitty, as their last hope of progression. Failing that, they will be looking to retain their senior status.
LAST MEETING:- Birr 1-18 Seir Kieran 3-12 (2nd round 2004)

COOLDERRY v DRUMCULLEN Sunday, 12 noon
A high noon showdown between first and third in the roll of honour? Not quite. Coolderry, with title ambitions, should have too much class for Drumcullen who don’t have the hurlers to trouble them on the scoreboard. Only one meeting since this Coolderry team burst on the scene six years ago. If Coolderry can keep their heads and not get drawn into a scrap they’ll be fine
LAST MEETING:- Coolderry 3-16 Drumcullen 2-5 (2nd round 2002)

KINNITTY v SHINRONE Sunday 7.30pm
Kinnitty have ambitions of at least a semi final spot and have a sufficient number of decent hurlers in their mid twenties to get them there. Shinrone probably don’t, especially in defence, and will depend on Michael Cordial hurling well, with Eddie Bevans on his game with the placed balls. They struggled over the line against Clareen in May which should see them qualify in third place.
LAST MEETING:- Kinnitty 0-16 Shinrone 1-8 (3rd round 2005)

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

With the huge amount of stuff on TV this week it doesn't look like I'll get home this weekend, so lets hope all of ye are on full reporting duty!! :D

A few of the games have the potential to be interesting. The amount of weaker teams that were in senior in recent years was a great insulation for some underachieving clubs with big reputations, but with relegation now becoming an issue it'll be interesting to see how Drumcullen in particular react to that challenge. Traditionally it was always the clubs north of Birr that provided the bit more "steel" to Offaly hurling, and it's no coincidence that throughout this decade (when I can't recall the last time K/K, Rynagh's and Drumcullen had three players between them on a championship team) these clubs have been dormant. It was the same story in the senior football for ages - the existence of clubs like Bracknagh and Daingean were a huge factor in why Ferbane, Shannonbridge and Edenderry fell so far from eminence. All three clubs would have been seriously motivated by avoiding relegation, or if relegated would have harnessed it to turn the club around. (Granted it's early days, but look at how the Reds are flying this year) Instead it seems only Ferbane managed a partial revival without that spur.

It would be a tricky one to price, and obviously I'm not sure what happens if a senior club like Birr or Rynaghs takes the Intermediate title, but right now Drumcullen have to be favourites (not necessarily odds on, but certainly favourites) to go down. i don't expect them to beat Coolderry, but if they wire into them and give them something to think about they'll have some hope at least.

I can't see Shamrocks getting within a half dozen of Lusmagh myself. I'll be the first to admit that Belmont didn't play their cards well against Lusmagh last time out but even so Lusmagh did all the basics very well. Brian Kearney, Shane Cunningham and Molloy mean Shamrocks will go to post with a lot of height up front and that will give their backs the luxury of not having to play perfect ball forward, but Lusmagh have too much hurling not to score at least thirteen or fourteen times, and in contrast Shamrocks don't seem to have that potential.

I've given up waiting for the K/K revolution. it may come, but they've cried wolf too often for me to show faith again. I expect them to continue their good year, with the usual collapse against better teams to follow later on.

Birr against Clareen with Joe Bergin way off form? Nuff said.

Kinnitty and Shinrone would be a good one to go to. I was at the meeting of these two a couple of years ago and was very impressed with Kinnitty that day, and in theory they should be getting better - they have a nice balance to their team, even if they do lack a little bit of pace up front. Odhran Kealey will possibly be marking Derek Morkan here - neutrals will be watching that one closely since both have county potential. Morkan to win that one, but Kinnitty to take the overall result.

Finally to Belmont. Much and all as I'd love to see our lads turn over Rynagh's, I really can't see it happen. Rynagh's are too clever to allow Alan Egan run in straight lines at them, and with Paul Egan and Tomás Bennett criminally off form, I don't know where the other threat is going to come from. The backs should cope, assuming they'll revert to John Egan at full back and David Kenny in the half back line (possibly with Ciarán Kenny moving back as well??) I don't think Rynagh's will put up a huge score, but i do think they'll be in control the whole way too. Belmont to rally between the 40th and 50th minute maybe, before Rynaghs win by six. :(

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Lusmagh 0-14 Shamrocks 0-13

Lusmagh 0-14 Shamrocks 0-13

Lusmagh came from three points behind to beat a dogged Shamrocks side in a tense encounter in Kilcormac this evening.

Shamrocks played with two full backs during the first half, one hurling in front of Aidan Hanrahan with Thomas Coughlan behind him. Lusmagh started the brighter but Shamrocks settled as the half wore on and were better able to gain possession from puck outs and lay off to supporting team mates. They led 5-3 around the twenty minute mark, but Lusmagh recovered and were on level terms at the break, seven each. Paul Bermingham and Austen Lynch being most prominent.

Lusmagh resumed with Hanrahan further outfield and Shamrocks moved Thomas Coughlan to follow him. Shamrocks were dominant during the third quarter after which they led by three, 11-8. Lusmagh were quite lethargic during this period and could have been further behind. It looked bad for Lusmagh when they were reduced to fourteen, but the defence rallied, mainly through the Berminghans and David Moran (an injury doubt in the lead up) getting a grip. They hit the front with points from Paul Bermingham and Austen Lynch with five to play. Both sides had chances to add to their respective tallies but some resolute defending saw to that. Shamrocks had a their best chance of an equaliser but a player in space and moving caught the ball three times and the free was awarded.

Lusmagh have much to improve on and will need to produce the application of the last quarter over a full hour. Still, a win for ‘Rynagh’s over Belmont tomorrow evening will ensure their passage to the last eight with a round to spare.

Apologies for the very few Shamrocks hurlers named above but it was hard to read the blue numbers on the red and white jerseys. Derek Molloy didn't line out and having him bach would be a huge boost. At this stage I would fancy them to beat Belmont and progress. They’ll cause difficulties for other clubs yet.
Last edited by Plain of the Herbs on Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Two matches in Rath Saturday evening.

St. Rynagh’s 2-8 Belmont 0-12
Two first half goals form the Kellys proved crucial. ‘Rynagh’s led 2-6 to 0-7 at half time and were always in control despite only landing two second half points some twenty minutes apart. It was only in the last five minutes that Belmont narrowed the gap and their twelfth point came with the last play of the game. While Belmont’s backs worked hard throughout they were unable to get enough ball down to the Egans. Conor Hernon snuffed out Alan’s threat. Cathal Horan controlled matters at centre back. Other than that it was dull-as-ditchwater and many St. Rynaghs supporters were dissatisfied with their performance. They’ll improve though!

Birr 0-11 Seir Kieran 0-9
Clareen took the game to Birr and led at 3-0. Birr were level at half time, 4-4 but were not hurling well at all. Clareen had a good third quarter with Joseph Bergin hurling well at centre back and with the aid of his long range frees and with Barry Bergin and Michael John Corrigan also prominent they led 9-6 with ten to play. Birr piled on the pressure forcing a number of 65’s which Brian Whelahan converted to give the champions a win they scarcely deserved. Still with some six weeks before the quarter finals the form of the contenders can be taken with a large pinch of salt.

The pitch in Rath was wet underfoot following the heavy rain which fell all day, though it didn't cut up. If the rain continues the wisdom of holding two hurling matches together will have to be reviewed.

On a totally unrelated matter, the Munster under 21 final is fixed for Wednesday night. Unfortunately TG4 are double booked – a soccer challenge match takes precedence over the second most important inter county competition. Frurr!!

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Was only at two matches over the weekend as i was in croke park saturday and the first i witnessed was coolderrys 2-26 to 0-7 massacre of drumcullen. The county boys really stood out for coolderry and damien murray got scores for fun. Drumcullen then began to pull a few mean strokes and some of the things that were said on the line were terrible. Drumcullen were inept in all aspects of play and i think they only managed one point from play. John Cashin was their only bright spot and if they dont get Conor Gath back fit then intermediate could be their lot for 2008.
Obviously enough the second game i got to was our hard fought 13-10 victory over shinrone. Whatever we might have lacked in inspiration we made up for with perspiration. The foundation for this victory was based on James Rigney getting the better of Diggy Cordial in their midfield battle and coupled with Odhran Kealeys tour de force when he moved into corner frward in the second half it led to a battling victory. Eddie Bevans hurled well for shinrone but our full back line had a solid look to it and didnt give up too many goal chances. After all the controversey that has dogged us during the year this was a very welcome victory and sets us up for our meeting in 2 weeks with clareen. where a win would guarantee a q-final place morte than likely against Banagher who we beat at the same stage in 2005.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Just wondering LS what would be the current state of affairs regards the odds on the championship. I presume Coolderry would have shortened a nice bit after their match? Further down the line is there any value on Rynaghs or Kinnitty? And what sort of odds would you give on Seir Kieran still making the last eight. And finally i would presume Drumcullen would be now odds on for relegation. Skenagh and them are playing at the weekend and i guarantee the losers of that will go down.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Well by Clareen to make the last eight, they'd have to beat Kinnitty, and then seeing as the new diktat appears to be that scoring difference counts, that would be enough - so basically you're asking me for a price to beat Kinnitty. I didn't see any games at the weekend, but seeing as they gave Birr a good run, ye didn't pull up any trees against Shinrone, and it's a local derby, probably about 5/4. I'd accomodate that for reasonably small money.

Nothing I've seen from Rynagh's or Kinnitty suggests that they could beat either of the two big boys, even once off. Rynagh's would have the belief that comes from breeding in Banagher, while Kinnitty could draw Coolderry into a scrap as they have done a few times, but realistically it's very hard to see. POTH won't thank me for this, but I'd say after KK seem to have imploded a month ahead of schedule, Lusmagh are possibly the third team in the county now. If they can edge out Rynaghs's next week, and I think they might, they could be the only dark horses - albeit still a long way off.

Not sure if I'd make Coolderry favourites yet - damn close though.

At a guess, 1/1 Birr, 6/5 Coolderry and big prices everyone else. 9/1 Rynaghs, 12/1 Kinnitty and 16/1 Lusmagh and K/K.

As for relegation, I'll admit those two teams appear to be pathetically off the pace - I'm not sure what the story is with Conor Gath though? If he comes back in that balances things up a lot. Certainly if Ballyskenach beat Drumcullen at the weekend, then Conor Gath comes back in for a playoff with Belmont or Shamrocks, it could get messy. On a personal note I'd worry for Belmont in that situation. I'd need to know his injury situation before I'd go pricing that.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Conor Gath did some cruciate damage during a football match and thats why he wasnt playing. He was number 25 on the programme so id say he will be used if they are in big danger of going down.

Are you sure about this use of scoring difference to determine placings if teams are tied on points? Seems very harsh to me and would be a major break from the tradition of play offs. Im not too sure about how good Lusmagh actually are and we shall get a fair idea when they hurl Rynaghs. Providing we beat Clareen and at best thats a 50/50 call we play the winners of that game. What the latter stages of the championship needs is Coolderry and Birr to be drawn together at semi-final stage so a path is opened up for somebody else to reach the county final. Its a bit of a duopoly at the moment.

As regards relegation i am entirely convinced the losers of skenach and drumcullen will go down as ive seen both of them twice this year and they truly are brutal.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

kinnittyman wrote: Are you sure about this use of scoring difference to determine placings if teams are tied on points? Seems very harsh to me and would be a major break from the tradition of play offs.
It's the case for the football this year anyway - no idea if it's the case for the hurling, but i would assume they would have made the changes for both rather than just one.

That said, I'd say whether they'd have the will to push it through in the face off objections is another matter. The test will come this weekend if either Tubber or St. Rynagh's pull off an upset and somebody is eliminated on scoring difference.

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

Lone Shark wrote: It's the case for the football this year anyway - no idea if it's the case for the hurling, but i would assume they would have made the changes for both rather than just one.
Yep it's in place for both codes. I think it's a rule that's going to cause a lot of controversy as clubs are only beginning to realise the implications. It will be interesting to see do all the counties that run part of their championship on a league basis adhere to it.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Aha - I didn't realise that it was a diktat from on high. I thought it was just a thing in Offaly since we've had loads of playoffs in both codes (particularly in relegation) in recent years.

To be honest, I'm not sure it's necessary - we still get our championships finished well on time, and nobody has any complaints as well as there being a few great games in all these playoffs, but i suppose things might be different if we were where Wexford are now and were still only one round into the championship.

Treasurer
All Star

Play Offs

Post by Treasurer »

Lone Shark wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure it's necessary - we still get our championships finished well on time, and nobody has any complaints as well as there being a few great games in all these playoffs, but i suppose things might be different if we were where Wexford are now and were still only one round into the championship.
It makes sense to get rid of "unnecessary" playoffs, ie in the past we've had playoffs to decide group placings where both teams were going to progress/not progress and the playoff was simply to decide group positions, but it's going to be very harsh to see teams on the same number of points eliminated on score difference. Are the majority of county championships run on league or knockout basis? I think there'll be a lot more about this in the coming weeks as it starts to affect clubs

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

There is that too - maybe something about a draw/toss of a coin for those kind of ties and then playoffs for the rest of them might be the way to go?

I'm just thinking of the kind of uproar in Group two of the football this weekend. If one or both teams out of Rynaghs and Tubber win then somebody will be eliminated from the championship on the strength of this rule, while if they both lose one team will be embroiled in a relegation playoff on the same basis. Something tells me that appeals wouldn't be long following.

You could apply the same rule to Birr's group in the hurling next week too - if Clareen beat Kinnitty then Clareen will make the quarters while Kinnitty will probably have to face a relegation playoff despite both being on two points. Again, I can't see that going down too well.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

BALLYSKENAGH v DRUMCULLEN

Ballyskenagh and Drumcullen meet in the next instalment of the county hurling championship in Clareen on Sunday evening.

At this stage it looks most unlikely that either will qualify for the quarter finals. Ballyskenagh have had their difficulties with some of their top hurlers leaving the club to hurl elsewhere. This is their first match since the summer break, having suffered a big defeat from Kilcormac/Killoughey in May, though they were well in it up to the half time break. Their juniors have qualified for a quarter final next week so they will need all hands on deck with a limited panel. They will also need to hurl more direct and not overdo the soloing into blind alleys.

Drumcullen were hammered by a red-hot Coolderry last Sunday and suffered a similar fate at the hands of K/K in May. They’ve made no impact on the championship in many years and continue to hurl in the old, outdated, physical style of theirs. If Conor Gath is again absent they will struggle for life up front. I recall their seniors and juniors playing a double header a few years ago and of the twelve Drumcullen forwards who started for both grades, only Conor Gath scored! Their juniors have also performed poorly this year, though on the other hand this means they will have some more selection options open to them.

Drumcullen won the corresponding fixture almost twelve months ago 2-14 to 1-10. however, on the basis that Ballyskenagh will have their best hurler (Brendan Murphy) and Drumcullen don’t have theirs I give the vote to ‘Skenagh to pull through a dour struggle.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Lone Shark wrote:There is that too - maybe something about a draw/toss of a coin for those kind of ties and then playoffs for the rest of them might be the way to go?

I'm just thinking of the kind of uproar in Group two of the football this weekend. If one or both teams out of Rynaghs and Tubber win then somebody will be eliminated from the championship on the strength of this rule, while if they both lose one team will be embroiled in a relegation playoff on the same basis. Something tells me that appeals wouldn't be long following.

You could apply the same rule to Birr's group in the hurling next week too - if Clareen beat Kinnitty then Clareen will make the quarters while Kinnitty will probably have to face a relegation playoff despite both being on two points. Again, I can't see that going down too well.
Your dead right LS, it wont go down well at all!!!!