Hurling vs Dublin moved to 3pm

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Hurling vs Dublin moved to 3pm

Post by Lone Shark »

For what it's worth - glorified challenge match by now.

Incidentally, assuming the under-21's don't take part and they don't go roundind up lads who haven't been on the panel so far, I'm struggling to see who we have to field?

So far I'm guessing.....

Mullins

Corcoran
O'Meara
Franks

Brady
Hoctor
Oakley

Murphy
Teehan

Gary H
O'Hara
Cordial

Carroll
Rory H
Kelly

For the life of me I can't think of a single sub. Who else is on the panel????? It all looks a bit threadbare to me.....

I just cannot see how we'll win this game.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Why is this match being played at all? There’s no logical reason for it to take place.

Looking at your proposed lineout, Sharkie, is that Mick O'Hara listed at 11? Shure he's not on the panel. Perhaps that reduces the numbers available to 14? I don’t have a programme to hand at the moment. Will we have fifteen at all? Anyone planning on going should bring the boots just in case. I hope they all got home from Oxygen OK?

The sensible thing to do would be to leave the under 21's have ten days uninterrupted preparation for their Leinster final, though with limited numbers this may not be possible. It's vital that the under 21 final is won. More about this from me anon.

Dublin will go all out to win this match, and they will certainly win. It's interesting that they have yet to win a hurling qualifier match since they started five years ago. I can see a repeat of O'Moore Park (April 2004) here and who cares? The sooner the club scene resumes the better.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Do we expect Dublin to rest all of their U21 players?
Granted that Dublin have been using more timber than usual this year, but would Offaly U21 players be in danger of getting singled out for rough treatment?

I would expect that our U21s have a challenge match organised for the weekend as they haven't had much chance to play alongside one another since the Kilkenny win.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Normally I would never oppose Offaly in my betting - treason and all that. I looked at Dublin plus ten in last years qualifiers and said nay, just like I turned down Clare minus six down in Ennis, and as Bogman and Black and Red exile will confirm, never was a bet more nailed on than Clare minus six once I saw the shoddy way our lads were warming up and the pure disinterest from the management.

However this is, to all intents and purposes, a challenge game, and with that in mind, Paddy Powers 21/10 about Dublin is plain wrong. I'm willing to back against them here because if there is any sense the U-21's will not play, and if the team won't be too worried about winning (and nor should they be) I don't see why we should be either. I rang up there now and while I won't scare any of ye by saying what I asked for, the most they would lay me was €10. This price will not last, and I strongly advise all and sundry to get the shovel out.

Incidentally POTH remarks about O'Moore 2004 mightn't be too far off.

Again with PP, 33/1 the Dubs to win by 10-12, 66/1 for 13-15 and 80/1 for 16 plus works out at around 18/1 if you back them all with weighted stakes - might be a contender yet.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but no part of my brain can figure out how they make us 2/5 favourites for this.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Do we expect Dublin to rest all of their U21 players?
Granted that Dublin have been using more timber than usual this year, but would Offaly U21 players be in danger of getting singled out for rough treatment?

I would expect that our U21s have a challenge match organised for the weekend as they haven't had much chance to play alongside one another since the Kilkenny win.
I would expect that Dublin would, but I don't think losing Alan McCrabbe, Peadar Carton and Ross O'Carroll will hit them as hard by a long chalk.

And yes, I wouldn't rule out that a defender might put a little bit more gusto into tackling Joe Bergin than he would Brian Carroll.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Jaysus LS and POTH your predictions are scary, but alas they will probably come true at about 4.30pm on Saturday evening. I think just about everybody at this stage will be glad to see the back of our two senior teams for 2007 and roll on the club championships.

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

All Ireland Liam McCarthy Cup Hurling Championship 2007

Round 3
Tullamore 3.00 Uíbh Fhailí v Baile Átha Cliath
Referee: James Owens, Loch Garman

Craobh Iomána na hÉireann Mionúir ‘B’ 2007

Semi-Finals
Tullamore 5.00 Cill Dara v Ros Comáin
Referee: T.B.C.
[E.T. if necessary]
only the best...

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Hurling vs Dublin moved to 3pm

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

For the record, Shane O'Connor, James Rigney and Eddie Bevans complete the over 21's on the panel.
Lone Shark wrote:For the life of me I can't think of a single sub. Who else is on the panel????? It all looks a bit threadbare to me.....

I just cannot see how we'll win this game.

corkbuck
Junior C

Post by corkbuck »

Is there no relegation from the Mc Carthy Cup this year ?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

No. Got that cleared up for me during he week... :oops:

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I have thrown a few shillings on Dublin and have recommended others to do so.

For the first time ever, I'm nearly not bothered to go watch Offaly in a "championship" match. I also think the €20 admission fee is going to put people off.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

This is probably the main drawback for thos who propose a champions league style format for GAA championships.

How many more meaningless games like this one would you get.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Team has been picked - I forgot about Damien Murray, and Cathal Horan is available again after injury, otherwise pretty much as we thought.

Mullins

O'Meara
Oakley
Franks

Brady
Horan
Rigney

Murphy
Teehan

Cordial
Gary H
Bevans

Carroll
Rory H
Murray

corkbuck
Junior C

Post by corkbuck »

the bare biffo wrote:This is probably the main drawback for thos who propose a champions league style format for GAA championships.

That and the fact that clubs would never again see their inter-county players

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

corkbuck wrote:
the bare biffo wrote:This is probably the main drawback for thos who propose a champions league style format for GAA championships.

That and the fact that clubs would never again see their inter-county players
If you wanted to go down this road, you'd have to make sure that every position in the table had an advantage over the other - like Westmeath's structure recently that they abandoned, with two groups of 6.

Winner of each group gets straight to the semi finals. 2nd gets a quarter final spot, with the right to either home advantage or to nominate a ground of suitable capacity. If Offaly get there for a home quarter final with Waterford and we want to maximise home advantage by nominating Hyde Park, then so be it.

3rd gets into the quarter finals.

4th is safe from relegation and goes no further.

5th is in a relegation semi final, again gets home advantage or the right to nominate. Last gets an away relegation semi final. Thus every position is crucial, and you minimise the possibility of dead games. There would still be a few, and obviously it would only work in the context of getting rid of the provinicial championships.