21st century??

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
far from croghan hill
County player

21st century??

Post by far from croghan hill »

I have been seeking an answer over the last number of weeks and what best forum to put it to than this. Has Offaly GAA remembered that we are now in the 21st century??You may say that i am just been finicky and that its not a major issue, but the thing is it wouldnt happen in any other county.

Jerseys/ Colour clash/ and a lack of alternative strip!!! thats the bee in my bonnet.
:evil:

In the past few weeks with a number of finals played it has been a disgrace to see 1) Rhode minors wearing the Offaly jerseys 2)Raheen wearing the offaly jerseys 3) Tubber wearing Ballycumber jerseys, and Ciaran Mac having to change to accept the cup 4) the nail in the coffin St Michaels wearing the Offaly jerseys in the u21 final

Surely in this 2006, clubs could have an alternative strip?? I think a set of jerseys cost about 900euro. And as we are a small county the chances are that clubs would use them often as they regularly compete against each other.
THERE IT GOES HIGH IN THE ARMS OF WILLE BRYANS!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd say €1200 (which would be the cost for a decent outfitter to do up 30 jerseys with crest and sponsor etc) would be a decent proportion of any club's budget.

I don't see any harm in using county jerseys as a sub jersey, except possibly to the club sponsor really.

Certainly it's not ideal, but in terms of uses for a club's money, I'd say a second strip would be down the list of priorities, and I can understand that.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

It would be closer to €900 actually.Most jersies cost €30 a pop.Multiply that by 30.And that includes sponsor's logo and club crest etc.

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

I have to agree with FFCH about the jersey issue. Most senior teams will get a new set of jerseys every three to four years so why not invert the colours for one print run? I know that club colours are sacred (which is why we see so many LSD inspired amalgated club strips) but at least have an alternate.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

I don't know of many clubs with a change of strip. But Rynaghs in Banagher have all gold with blue trim as an away jersey. Very strange really 'cos feck all clubs can clash with the traditional blue and gold.

As for our football club, we use maroon, I think they came from the Banagher VES school. Remember having to wear it in a junior game against Clonmore Harps who also wore Green and White strips.

arbarg
County player

Post by arbarg »

agreed.
only county players should have the privelige of wearing the green white and gold.

allez les faithful!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

If the county board had two sets of jerseys for general use it could be the best job, one plain white, one plain green, toss for use in the case of a clash. If financing was an issue (and they could be done on the cheap!!) you could just say that every club in offaly must either designate a second strip that they have themselves, or else agree to pay a portion of the cost of these. If twenty clubs need to use them, then that's less than €100 per club.