Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Re: Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

Post by faithfulfanatic »

TG4 have yet to confirm which game is being shown on TV Wednesday.
However, their coverage states a start time of 7:25 and as the Offaly game is at 7, it seems Galway V Dublin will be shown.
Seems like a massive missed opportunity for TG4.
I'd imagine Offaly V Kilkenny will be shown on TG4's YouTube page.
All the more reason to pack out Tullamore.

You would hope a massive crowd would be worth a few points to our lads.
Offaly have opened as 6/4 outsiders with The Cats as 4/6 favs.
Alarm bells may start to ring on Noreside if they fail to get a result against another 'minnow' after the draw against Carlow on Saturday.
Dan Ravenhill will be a loss and I don't know if we have the bench to make a big impact in this game.
Marcas Dalton was the first sub used against Laois, having only joined the panel a few weeks ago. Very athletic and a good option but lacking the hurling, in the mould of Cormac Egan.
Next in was Alex Kavanagh who is the most obvious replacement for any of our inside forwards.
Eoin Burke came in on the half forward line for Spain.
Our last 2 subs were Taaffe and Larkin who are both bona-fide corner backs.
Cathal King's most natural spot is corner back, where he is hurling very well for the seniors. We could do with him there against Kilkenny for a man marking job, as Mahon and Miller both struggled at times against Laois, however I think he will be left at midfield.
I'm expecting big games from our half back line, 3 of the most natural and athletic backs on the ball that I've seen in quite some time.
Conor Doyle was quiet last week and hopefully he comes on for that, having been out of competitive action for a good while.
Doyle, Bourke and Rigney are key to this game. No team has ever been able to live with Offaly when the 3 of them are winning puckouts and start running at a defence.
Does anyone know if Diggy Hand is injured again? I note he is only on the extended panel.

On the Kilkenny side, you'd be forgiven for wondering how some of these lads are u20, given how long their names are on the go.
Jeff Neary from Graigue Ballycallan lines out at corner back, having captained St Kierans to All Ireland glory this year. He lined out at centre back, even as a 5th year when Offaly Combined Schools beat them to Leinster in January 2023.
Killian Corcoran of Ballyhale is at full back. He won a spot on the All-Ireland Club Hurling Team of the Year in 2022-2023 in his first year at club senior hurling.
You'd imagine one of these two will pick up Screeney.
Centre back is Bill Hughes of Bennettsbridge who captained the DCU freshers side to the All Ireland final this year. He lined out for his club at centre back throughout last year as they lost by 3 points in the semi final to eventual champions O'Loughlin Gaels.
Killian Doyle of Emeralds from Urlingford lines out at midfield (joint St Kierans All Ireland winning captain from 2023 with Harry Shine). He will be eager to atone, having been sent off against Carlow in the Leinster Championship at the weekend.
He's partnered by captain Cillian Hackett of Dicksboro, who have dominated all the way up through the underage ranks in Kilkenny in recent times.
Niall Shortall lines out at wing forward. The only other Ballyhale player on the panel along with Corcoran. He started the 2023 Club all-Ireland in place of the injured Adrian Mullen.
On the other wing is Kilkenny's star forward Gearoid Dunne of Tullaroan. He was a sub in last year's Senior All Ireland against Limerick and featured throughout the league for Kilkenny. He scored 4-2 against Laois in the group stages of this u20 Championship.
Harry Shine of Dicksboro lines out at corner forward. Probably the most well known of this team and one who has long been talked about as Kilkenny's next star, without yet hitting those heights. I'd expect Ruairi Kelly will track him.
Full forward Marty Murphy brings something that this Offaly side simply does not have: sheer size (with the stickwork to match). He hails from Tullogher-Rosbercon, who won an All Ireland Intermediate final this year and is shaped in the mould of clubmate Wally Walsh, standing well over 6 foot. He scored 2-3 against Wexford in the group stage. He also scored 1-3 against Carrig-Riverstown in a Leinster club semi final last December. Ben Miller seems the obvious choice to try and quell his influence.
There are a few more lads I haven't mentioned such as Ted Dunne (Graiguenamanagh), Joe Fitzpatrick (Dunnamaggin) and Paddy Langton (Young Irelands) who I'd expect to feature. Hard to know where lads are at given it is so long since Kilkenny's last game.
They beat Laois 6-14 to 1-13 and beat Wexford 4-21 to 2-14 (including 18 wides for Kilkenny).
I make it 6-7 lads from this year's team who played in last year's Leinster semi-final loss to Wexford.
I make it about 8 who played for Kilkenny in the 2021 Leinster minor triumph.

Kilkenny are deservedly favourites, with their various triumphs across club and school all Irelands and at underage with Kilkenny.
Our lads have a fighting chance and I'm sure they will give it everything as always.
Up Offaly!

Faithfully
Intermediate

Post by Faithfully »

Just to note that Killian Doyle cannot play for Kilkenny on Wednesday sending off or not.

The amendment to the 60 hour gap between games will only take effect in 2025. As soon as that match threw in, he was gone from Wednesday.

faithfulfanatic
All Star

Faithfully wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:37 pm Just to note that Killian Doyle cannot play for Kilkenny on Wednesday sending off or not.

The amendment to the 60 hour gap between games will only take effect in 2025. As soon as that match threw in, he was gone from Wednesday.
I had just realised that and came back to ask if anyone knows the ruling.
Thanks for that.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:45 pm
Faithfully wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:37 pm Just to note that Killian Doyle cannot play for Kilkenny on Wednesday sending off or not.

I had just realised that and came back to ask if anyone knows the ruling.
Thanks for that.
Can someone clearly explain this 60 hour gap? Will it affect us over the next couple of weeks?

faithfulfanatic
All Star

It doesn't come in until next year so it won't affect us now.
I'm not sure if it has been changed to include all counties or just Liam McCarthy.

You'd be hoping that it would affect us next year (as that would mean we have been promoted from the Joe Mc).

It means a player can't play senior and u20 within 60 hours of each other.

I'd imagine that fixture makers will do their best to ensure senior & u20 aren't within 60 hours where possible to help avoid a PR nightmare.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:35 pm It doesn't come in until next year so it won't affect us now.
I'm not sure if it has been changed to include all counties or just Liam McCarthy.

You'd be hoping that it would affect us next year (as that would mean we have been promoted from the Joe Mc).

It means a player can't play senior and u20 within 60 hours of each other.

I'd imagine that fixture makers will do their best to ensure senior & u20 aren't within 60 hours where possible to help avoid a PR nightmare.
Im not thinking straight, it only affects Liam Mccarthy teams this year anyway.. its interesting kilkenny chose to play him against Carlow given how important he would be to the u20s and they certainly not tight for players. Shows where their priorities are!

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Kk know what the bigger picture is for them, win a minor or u20 is irrelevant to them and the bigger counties. Their priority is solely on player development and bringing lads through to senior. If you are good enough for senior, you play senior. It's not about wether they are needed or not.

G91
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

Just going to have go have to be on Thier toes every man bigger they are the harder they fall

This team has a bucket load of experience amd you'd hope that will come to the fore Wednesday evening

This talk of ravenhill has to stop yes he is fantastic but if we can't cope without him what is the point it just means someone else will have to step up

It's actually a disgrace that he is injured knowing how valuable of a player he is that he wasn't looked after better he wasn't right after the under 20 galway game

There are still some big lads left on the panel might not be as big in stature as some of the others but every bit as powerful

A big crowd get behind the team get inside the heads of killkenny and hopefully the occasion can out them out thier comfort zone

Wing Back
County player

Post by Wing Back »

I fancy whoever wins this game, will win Leinster.

It was hard not to be impressed with the ease we brushed Laois aside. They drew with Wexford. I would imagine not a whole lot then between them. Also, When you look at the scores Kilkenny were putting up against Laois and Wexford, quite similar margins of victory. So I wasn't surprised when Dublin beat Wexford aswell, but only by 4 points mind. I think Dublin were flattered to be within 1 point of us the 1st day out.

Kilkenny beat Laois by 5 goals and 1 point (16 points), clearly they will be hunting goals. They also scored 4 v Wexford.
Offaly beat Laois 16 points also, putting up a massive 1-28. So on those form lines, not a whole lot between the teams.

I think Dan Ravenhill is a huge loss, to this team especially. Great physical presence who can really hurl. But even in spite of his loss, I think we can travel with a lot of optimism. I like our chances. The KK player who was sent off v Carlow is now missing, so it somewhat evens things up maybe. But agree with other posters, that someone else can step up, and will have to.

We play a lovely brand of hurling and have some fantastic match winners within our ranks. If we can stem their goal threat, we have a chance. I felt we coughed up 2 soft goals to Laois, we simply cannot do that against KK. We are the defending Leinster Champions, and while I have no problem showing respect to any team, especially KK, we should go with a lot of confidence after the last 2 years of outstanding performances from this group.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

G91
All Star

Post by G91 »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:24 pm TG4 have yet to confirm which game is being shown on TV Wednesday.
However, their coverage

One game had to be in a floodlight venue for tg4 coverage since offlays is in OCP I'd say it will be youtube or highlights

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Thanks for taking the time to research and post this. Very informative piece. Enjoy the match.
faithfulfanatic wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:24 pm TG4 have yet to confirm which game is being shown on TV Wednesday.
However, their coverage states a start time of 7:25 and as the Offaly game is at 7, it seems Galway V Dublin will be shown.
Seems like a massive missed opportunity for TG4.
I'd imagine Offaly V Kilkenny will be shown on TG4's YouTube page.
All the more reason to pack out Tullamore.

You would hope a massive crowd would be worth a few points to our lads.
Offaly have opened as 6/4 outsiders with The Cats as 4/6 favs.
Alarm bells may start to ring on Noreside if they fail to get a result against another 'minnow' after the draw against Carlow on Saturday.
Dan Ravenhill will be a loss and I don't know if we have the bench to make a big impact in this game.
Marcas Dalton was the first sub used against Laois, having only joined the panel a few weeks ago. Very athletic and a good option but lacking the hurling, in the mould of Cormac Egan.
Next in was Alex Kavanagh who is the most obvious replacement for any of our inside forwards.
Eoin Burke came in on the half forward line for Spain.
Our last 2 subs were Taaffe and Larkin who are both bona-fide corner backs.
Cathal King's most natural spot is corner back, where he is hurling very well for the seniors. We could do with him there against Kilkenny for a man marking job, as Mahon and Miller both struggled at times against Laois, however I think he will be left at midfield.
I'm expecting big games from our half back line, 3 of the most natural and athletic backs on the ball that I've seen in quite some time.
Conor Doyle was quiet last week and hopefully he comes on for that, having been out of competitive action for a good while.
Doyle, Bourke and Rigney are key to this game. No team has ever been able to live with Offaly when the 3 of them are winning puckouts and start running at a defence.
Does anyone know if Diggy Hand is injured again? I note he is only on the extended panel.

On the Kilkenny side, you'd be forgiven for wondering how some of these lads are u20, given how long their names are on the go.
Jeff Neary from Graigue Ballycallan lines out at corner back, having captained St Kierans to All Ireland glory this year. He lined out at centre back, even as a 5th year when Offaly Combined Schools beat them to Leinster in January 2023.
Killian Corcoran of Ballyhale is at full back. He won a spot on the All-Ireland Club Hurling Team of the Year in 2022-2023 in his first year at club senior hurling.
You'd imagine one of these two will pick up Screeney.
Centre back is Bill Hughes of Bennettsbridge who captained the DCU freshers side to the All Ireland final this year. He lined out for his club at centre back throughout last year as they lost by 3 points in the semi final to eventual champions O'Loughlin Gaels.
Killian Doyle of Emeralds from Urlingford lines out at midfield (joint St Kierans All Ireland winning captain from 2023 with Harry Shine). He will be eager to atone, having been sent off against Carlow in the Leinster Championship at the weekend.
He's partnered by captain Cillian Hackett of Dicksboro, who have dominated all the way up through the underage ranks in Kilkenny in recent times.
Niall Shortall lines out at wing forward. The only other Ballyhale player on the panel along with Corcoran. He started the 2023 Club all-Ireland in place of the injured Adrian Mullen.
On the other wing is Kilkenny's star forward Gearoid Dunne of Tullaroan. He was a sub in last year's Senior All Ireland against Limerick and featured throughout the league for Kilkenny. He scored 4-2 against Laois in the group stages of this u20 Championship.
Harry Shine of Dicksboro lines out at corner forward. Probably the most well known of this team and one who has long been talked about as Kilkenny's next star, without yet hitting those heights. I'd expect Ruairi Kelly will track him.
Full forward Marty Murphy brings something that this Offaly side simply does not have: sheer size (with the stickwork to match). He hails from Tullogher-Rosbercon, who won an All Ireland Intermediate final this year and is shaped in the mould of clubmate Wally Walsh, standing well over 6 foot. He scored 2-3 against Wexford in the group stage. He also scored 1-3 against Carrig-Riverstown in a Leinster club semi final last December. Ben Miller seems the obvious choice to try and quell his influence.
There are a few more lads I haven't mentioned such as Ted Dunne (Graiguenamanagh), Joe Fitzpatrick (Dunnamaggin) and Paddy Langton (Young Irelands) who I'd expect to feature. Hard to know where lads are at given it is so long since Kilkenny's last game.
They beat Laois 6-14 to 1-13 and beat Wexford 4-21 to 2-14 (including 18 wides for Kilkenny).
I make it 6-7 lads from this year's team who played in last year's Leinster semi-final loss to Wexford.
I make it about 8 who played for Kilkenny in the 2021 Leinster minor triumph.

Kilkenny are deservedly favourites, with their various triumphs across club and school all Irelands and at underage with Kilkenny.
Our lads have a fighting chance and I'm sure they will give it everything as always.
Up Offaly!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

TG4's main evening Nuacht is broadcast at 7.30pm each week evening, which is why the semi-final to be shown live on terrestrial TV will always be the 7.30pm one.
G91 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:04 pm
However, their coverage

One game had to be in a floodlight venue for tg4 coverage since offlays is in OCP I'd say it will be youtube or highlights
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Screenshot_20240513_192922_X.jpg
Screenshot_20240513_192922_X.jpg (341.42 KiB) Viewed 561 times

G91
All Star

Post by G91 »

Just to say as PTH pointed out

Great read on faithfulfanatic analysis if that's the right word fair play for taking the time abd effort to share makes the game more interesting

Glendassaun
Junior C

Post by Glendassaun »

There's a sense going into this game, based off some of the comments, that we're near rank outsiders for this contest. While nobody can deny the tradition that Kilkenny bring to the table more recent form at underage would suggest that such a side is far from infallible.

Tradition when it comes to underage hurling, or any sport for that matter is rather irrelevant. What's most pertinent is recent history, which on the balance of the past couple of seasons would favour Offaly. We mustn't forget, as if we could, that we are in fact the reigning Leinster champions, having overcome a Wexford team who beat Kilkenny in last years Leinster Semi Final. Okay, anyone who watched that game would have noticed some dubious refereeing decisions which went against Kilkenny in the later stages of that game, but that's been consigned to the past now.

We laud the great St Kieran's side that have won numerous colleges titles in the past couple of years, but we seem to overlook the significance of the fact that an Offaly schools side, backboned by a core group of this U20 side went to Kilkenny and in the hallowed ground of Nowlan Park beat a much fancied Kilkenny side, and would have won the All Ireland title were it not for the rule against an amalgamated side going forward in the All Ireland series, a rule somewhat laughable when one considers the spread of clubs available to St Kierans, who themselves are a county team in all but name.

If I were objectively looking on in any other sport and noticed that the reigning champions were about to face up to a team of contenders, a team who hasn't played in almost six weeks, whose players have been training, but haven't seen competitive game time since early April and who are playing a side who are entering top form in front of a packed out home venue, then the only logical conclusion I could draw would be that I'd rather be in the position of the home side with each of those considerable advantages stacked in my favour.

Don't get me wrong I'm far from naïve. I'm well aware that this will be the toughest game this side has faced since playing Cork in last years All Ireland Final, I'm well aware that Kilkenny have a fantastic side and have a panel of players who can each cause a potent threat, and I'm well aware that much of this Kilkenny side won All Ireland's at colleges level, and as Minors with Kilkenny. But crucially I'm walking into O'Connor Park tomorrow with a sense of pride, knowing that this team can look any side in the eye and confidently say "if we play to our potential then we can compete and win".

Let's pack out O'Connor Park tomorrow, let's get behind our side right from the off and lets make sure Kilkenny are well aware that this side is going to cause serious problems for Kilkenny, not just tomorrow at U20 level, but in 3-5 years time at Senior Level also.
Cathal Nolan - Signed out of respect.