Leinster Football Final Preview

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
arbarg
County player

THeres only one Brian Boland

Post by arbarg »

Lets put it straight!!

1) The Dubs are slow at the back
2) Tommy and Niall are like two ethiopians after a breadvan when they are chasin the ball
3) The Dubs backs are woefully slow

So, in a nutshell. If we can contain the dubs for an hour maybe stay level or within a point or two of them then draw out their back line and either run at them or launch a couple of direct hits into the back line for Tommy and Niall then we should have the beating of them. Plus they dont have a forward of Mattie Fordes Class( even if he is a dirty c**T) So happy days .

And finally, Holy jesus the Dubs back line is Slow!!

UP THE BAWN!!!!!

the bare biffo
All Star

Sherlock

Post by the bare biffo »

A bit unfair to Sherlock.
Whatever about his skin colour, his courage ain't yella.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I blame the national media. For a lot of things.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

Have we any injury worries ahead of this game? Is Quinny still out or might he be introduced perhaps at some stage?

seamroga
Senior

Post by seamroga »

I watched the first half of Offaly v Wexford again last night and, lads, let's face it - if we allow Dublin to run through us like Wexford did in the opening 20 minutes, we can forget about it. They surged through from the half back line and midfield and if Dublin are allowed to do the same, they'll build up a substantial lead - just as they did in the league match at Parnell Park.
I'm not worried about determination or commitment or heart or any of those factors. All I'm afraid of is that our central defenders may not have the pace to stick with their men over a 30 or 40 yard sprint. Simple as that.
We must remember also that after the infamous Dublin v Tyrone NFL game, there was mixed opinions on the impact it would have on our opponents next Sunday. If they beat us, that match will surely be remembered as a defining moment in their season. On the other hand, I hope that their inconsistency will prove their downfall and if they don't play to potential, I believe we could sneak a narrow victory.
As we all know, Offaly's problem since '97 has not been losing finals - it was an inability to get to them. Now that we're there again, we must remain hopefully that they will rise to the occasion as the heroes of nine years ago did.
Just like '97, we are depending to a huge extent on the corner forwards. But don't forget that in that victory over Meath, despite the headlines gained by Claffey, Malone and Brady, the wing forwards contributed some vital scores. And if we are to win on Sunday, we can't expect Niall and Tommo to do it all, scores will have to come from the men wearing 10, 11 and 12, which didn't happen enough last time out.

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

Despite their heroics the last day against Wexford, I don't think we rely too heavily on Niall Mac & Deehan. The scoring has been well spread out over our 3 games - I think we had 10 different players score the 3-9 against Kildare. That said, I would still expect the lads to create at least one clear goalscoring chance over the 70 minutes. We do however need to be as efficient as possible especially with placed balls and the lack of a left footed freetaker (Quinner) could be a problem.
A solid start is vital and not allowing Dublin to get up ahead of steam - if we can frustrate them and the 50 or 60,000 Dub supporters, they will be ther for the taking. On the positive side, we have only conceded one goal so far (& none from play) and if we can prevent a green flag for the Dubs on Sunday, I think we will accumalate enough at the other end to scrape home by a point or two.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

According to 103 this morning it's the same starting 15 as against Wexford.
To be expected I guess. Anyone know if Colm Quinn is fit ?
Against Wexford I thought Damian Hunt looked like a lad who hadn't played in a long while, which I believe is the case. But he does look like he has what it takes and hopefully the two weeks will have sharpened him up. John Reynolds I think is lucky to survive. It's full forward line or nowhere for John I think.
If Quinn is fit, a bench with himself the two Daly's and Trevor Phelan looks more useful than it has for a while.

If Conor Evans, Barry Mooney and the two Malones were all fit and had their heads right I'd nearly be confident.

I don't think Dublin will overplay the short passing the way Wexford did, they have been playing a more direct style under Caffrey and I hope that will suit Offaly better. Getting scores from our own half forward line is a worry though. Theres no doubt Dublin will be well primed to deal with the two corner forwards but in a man to man situation I think the Offaly lads will have the beating of their men. As always winning breaking ball around the middle will be crucial. Offaly have been pretty good at this over the last couple of years and I think their success or otherwise on Sunday will determine the outcome.
The Dubs go in favourites, but I think we ar in with a good shout.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I wouldn't agree either that we rely too much on the inside lads - we rely on them as much as any team relies on their inside line, but it's not as if we don't get scores from elsewhere. We've all expressed concerns about John Reynolds general play when operating at wing forward, but we know he can take a score if he gets within 35 yards, as can Hunt if he gets the chance. Neville Coughlan does seem to be having a crisis of conscience in front of goals all right, however if he can keep Cullen's hands full I'll be more than happy with his contribution. Finally in Slattery and the two midfielders we have more scoring from midfield back than most teams.

I'd be most concerned that we won't be able for Dublin's power, which was hugely evident back in March. We all know that Reynolds will track, his work rate was never in doubt, but a player like Casey could just swat him away. Likewise I'm very worried about Paschal - if he stands by and lets lads run past him Dublin will use the overlap.

I've always said I'd prefer Quinn on the bench, to come in and spray the passes around with twenty minutes to go when the space starts appearing. He's not nearly as effective early in a game, and by having him fresh for the last twenty his pass could be that little bit sharper that would make all the difference.

It's on this game I'll judge the management. I'm not saying they'll only have done well if we win, but I'll be hoping that we'll be able for them physically and fitness wise, and that we have a plan in place to break Dub momentum if it starts to pick up. After all we knew that to win Leinster you were going to have to beat the Dubs at some stage, and these are no brainers. If we are prepared for that, have a clear tactical plan of our own and still fall short I'll have no complaints.

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

"Neville Coughlan does seem to be having a crisis of conscience in front of goals all right"

Surely it's a crisis of confidence Neville is having - I can't see any moral dilemna about sticking the ball over the bar.