GPA members "Hard Done by"

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Would you accept a county call up if it came?

Yes - It'd be a dream come true
88%
No - It's just not worth the sacrifice
13%

Total votes: 16

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

GPA members "Hard Done by"

Post by Lone Shark »

We've all seen the stories in the papers the last few days regarding the GPA and their "baying for blood" attitude, among other things. :roll:

The attitude among their membership (at least if the statements from Dessie and co. are to be believed) is that the level of sacrifice to be on a county panel these days is excessive in relation to the rewards, and that the government grant being proposed is necessary in order to recompense county players for the effort they put in. Speaking as a guy who would love to have the talent and the opportunity to pull on an Offaly jersey and play (rather than doing so in training or in 5 a side soccer like I do now!! :D ), I find this all rather bizarre - but then the faraway hills are green, so maybe if I experienced it I'd feel different.

My question is this - would you do it, if you got a county call up? Are there those out there that feel the county role takes up too much time and effort for no reward? Is it for students/teachers/sales reps only?

For the purposes of this poll, let's assume the following situation:

(1) County training starts in November, two nights a week, gym work on your time, and a game every weekend.
(2) You have no guarantee of starting - you're a panellist for now.
(3) No drink from Christmas until Championship exit. (I'm not saying all county players do this, but for the purposes of this exercise.....)
(4) Your career stalls because you can't give it any more than 40 hours a week.
(5) Expenses given just about cover your costs, if that.
(6) The only team holiday you'll get is if you win the All Irealand - hardly likely in Offaly's case in either code.
(7) No sports grant, promised or even possible.

Of course all the usual caveats about the women coming easier etc. apply ... :D

Would you do it? More interestingly, if not, why not?

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

I think the level of commitment being asked of players to too high for an amateur passtime.
I can't vote in the poll because I would vote differently depending on the circumstances.
In my present circumstance Married, Kids and a senior position at work with a heavy workload the answer is no.
If I was 20/21, single, no dependents, student or junior work position it would definitely be yes.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Heres an interesting question, if the players went on strike and they were looking for "scabs" to play would you?

Right after answering that, now imagine you are a player thats on the verge of making the senior panel, would you do it then, bearing in mind that when the strike ends, and it will, you will be looked upon very badly by the returning players and may have ruined your chances to have had a successful inter county carreer

edenderry
Junior B

no

Post by edenderry »

now way jose. Want to have rocks in the head. Not worth any of the hassle. Better things to do with my time. The game inself football in particular isnt that good a game to play or watch .. imo

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

I would, under any circumstances at the moment, because I would like to see what I could get out of myself and see if I could become the best I could become. If I was there for a while and stagnating due to the lack of individual coaching (which is my biggest bug bear in the game at the moment) and success, I would have no problems walking away and giving another guy the spot.

Let’s return to the issue of individual coaching. How many times have you seen an overweight slow old guy racking up the points and dominating a game while all around him a pack of greyhounds with limited ball skills flounder in their attempts to restrict his scoring prowess? Skills will always help you out more than fitness so why do we spend 60 minutes training and 30 minutes playing a match without individuals going away and working on the aspects of their game that are weak compared to the rest of their skill? I know I am not the best under a high ball but I always try to compete in training to improve my timing. I have seen forwards who cannot tackle without giving away a free so why is this not addressed in training?

We have come on in leaps and bounds in relation to fitness and in the county scene (and in some clubs) the proper information and methods are available for players to work on their strength and power work to supplement their fitness.

The next step has to be individual coaching. If that means deconstructing a players kicking style to maximise his scoring return or breaking down a players tackling movements to not only win the ball but also to hold up the player and make it difficult for his opponent to offload the ball then so be it. Eamonn Barry used to record all of Dunshaughlins games and later he would prepare a DVD for each player highlighting their strengths and exposing their weaknesses so that the player was aware of what he needed to work on. This is common in most sports played at a high level but only catching on in GAA at the moment.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:Heres an interesting question, if the players went on strike and they were looking for "scabs" to play would you?

Right after answering that, now imagine you are a player thats on the verge of making the senior panel, would you do it then, bearing in mind that when the strike ends, and it will, you will be looked upon very badly by the returning players and may have ruined your chances to have had a successful inter county carreer
If the whole panel is pulling out, then no. On the other hand if there was a split, and 6 or 7 of the normal fifteen are willing to play, then yes.

There are certainly two sides to this GPA story, and while I could see the player's perspective who feel that needless obstruction from the GAA is denying them a grant, but surely on the same basis the same players can understand why it is a hornet's nest and some people with the GAA's best interests at heart feel this is bad news and a step towards a destination we don't want to get to.

As regards Ballymans points about individual skills needing coaching, I couldn't agree more. I suspect it's being done in some cases, but in a lot of clubs and no doubt some counties trainers still rely on the old methods of run the b****x out of lads.

Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh
Senior

Post by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh »

Allegiance
Clubs and Counties shall insist that the first allegiance of
their members is to the Association and its Games, and
may impose disciplinary measures for breaches of this
Rule.

Above Rule 20 of the GAA, are County Players as members of the GPA in breach of this rule?