Dublin Vs Offaly

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Good to have Slattery back.
What's the latest on James Keane?
Is it getting too late for him to win a place?
It looks like the backline is 5/6 decided, with Shane Sullivan being the only addition when he's fit.

Midfield and forwards might see some more juggling.
James Coughlan and Thomas Deehan battling for a starting place is a juicy prospect.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd say Keane is probably going to be a bit raw to be ready for May one way or another - I'd say if he plays for Tullamore this year he'll be doing okay.

It's a bit hard on Deehan to be dropped now - he's getting into a run of form, he should be allowed keep going. That's not to say that you'd pick him for the championship, but he should be allowed play his way off the team.

I'd still like to see Slattery in the half forwards - Slattery at 12, with Chop moving up to seven when Sullivan comes back the most likely, though personally I'd pick Sullivan at seven and leave Chop where he is.

I'm surprised McConway got dropped before Lynam as well.

One man who I'm surprised to see not being involved yet is Ciaran Kiely - by all accounts he was one of the better players against Longford, and if he's back on form he could be an interesting candidate for a corner back slot.

Another big benefit of grabbing two points on Saturday is that it would take a little bit of pressure of the Kerry and Tyrone games. With four points in the bag, it would be a lot easier to look at those games as risk free, have a go but who cares if we lose, kind of games. That way a few experiments could be put in place. One of the big problems over the last couple of years is that when we've had to concentrate so hard on the league, and put our best team out, it means we haven't blooded any suprise additions during the campaign - all our surprises were forced. If we have four points before next week, it becomes a lot easier to try more "development" team against Tyrone.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

BOG OAK wrote:Did someone say it was all ticket and if it is will you get the tickets up there.
:?:
Yep, all ticket.
Tickets are currently available on ticketmaster.ie if you can't get to Tullamore tonight to buy them.

Ron
All Star

Tickets

Post by Ron »

Tickets also available from Parnell Park today for any fellow exiles ;-)
Good to see Slattery back on the team, Dublin are short a few big players with those suspensions.

Trib
Junior B

Post by Trib »

Hey guys,
Can anyone tell me what time this one is kicking off. I can't appear to find it anywhere online.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

7.45 throw in - as per gaa.ie, hoganstand, aertel, rte.ie, setanta ......

Sorry, but couldn't resist it!! :D

The Biff
All Star

Throw in

Post by The Biff »

Feckin' know-it-all :twisted: Rub it in to the poor lad, why don't ya !

Anyway, what is Offaly's record for floodlit games? Or any other county's relevant record? Is there any pattern to show that the teams with this facility do better than their visitors?

I know that most counties are well used to training under lights by now, but ... anyway ...

I think we are getting Dublin at as good a time as we could hope for. Slattery certainly improves our chances, while the Dubs are down a few. So here's hoping.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

Any prices on the game about? Can't access "gambling "sites here!

I was at the interpro game before Christmas and I must say that the lights are superb in Parnell Park probably the best in the country so no excused there!

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

I'm very surprised to see Neville at midfield, can't see him winning much ball out there. Having Slattery back will help us because he is a class apart, would ike to have seen him pushed in to the half forward line but he probably will cover ever blade of grass in Parnell Park anyway so it really won't matter!!!

Honestly I'll be very surprised if we get a result against the dubs, I reckon they'll be anxious to bounce back after losing to Monaghan, I'd actually fancy our chances alot more if they had beaten Monaghan. The suspections will obviously effect Dublin but looking at our full back line, its still very poor & round the midfield area I don't see us getting anywhere near breaking even with the Dubs.

Conditions will obviously play a huge factor too, which will probably help Dublin to as they look a far bigger & stronger team man for man than Offaly would be!!!
The Untouchable

Trib
Junior B

Post by Trib »

Ok when I said I couldn't find the start time, I kinda meant I hadn't looked to hard when some of ye would answer.
But in a more distrubing development I notice that in the previous post I wrote "kicking off". Shameful behaviour and my only defence is that I was probably drunk. Apologies to anyoen this may have offending.
See ye at 7:45pm for throw-in!!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Seeing as most counties train under lights, you'd expect that it wouldn't be too much of a factor at this stage. And as was mentioned, the Parnell lights are pretty good.

I have to say I don't love the idea of Neville at midfield either, but I like it more than him at wing back. I prefer to see him have license to run at defenders - my ideal half forward line would be him, Slatts and a playmaker in the middle - which seems to be delegated to be McManus' job. I wasn't convinced about Mac up front initially, but it seems to be working, so fair enough.

The general betting odds are 4/9 the Dubs and 9/4 Offaly - a little shorter Dublin than I'd have had it, but not wrong, at least I wouldn't say so.

I don't know if the Dubs losing to Monaghan was such a bad thing - they were very high after the Tyrone game, and if they had a bit of momentum going they could be hard stopped - as it is they'll be questioning themselves again. Seeing as our boys are so notoriously brittle of the mind, it's no harm that Dublin might be of the same thinking.

I will say this though - with Coughlan in the middle, it becomes a huge game for McNamee - he really has to step up and be the dominant fielder - I really think that if we live with the Dubs for possession we're in with a great chance here.

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

hopefully its not too late to reply, but is the game on tg4 or setanta or neither???

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Setanta.

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

anyone know if tickets are for sale outside thh ground tonight?