Minor Football Championship 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Minor Football Championship 2013

Post by substandard »

http://www.tullamoretribune.ie/articles ... nt-chance/

Probably a fair reflection given results over the year. Edenderry have already won the minor league, and topped probably the toughest group as well. Should make for a good game...

timber
All Star

Re: Minor Football Championship 2013

Post by timber »

Edenderry are very very strong. What they did to Gracefield was shocking impressive. That was not a bad a Gracefield team.

Edenderry have plenty of talent coming through. Going to catch Rhode shortly at senior level.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Is this Shamrocks first ever Minor A Final appearance??

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

By the looks of things they were beaten by Rhode in only previous appearance in a Minor A football Final. That was in 1993. I don’t have the score. Someone with more local knowledge might know more?

Mucklagh reached the Minor A hurling Final in 1961, rahan did likewise in 1964 as did St Carthage's in 1984. Shamrocks went on to win the Minor A hurling for the first time in 2002.
summerindublin wrote:Is this Shamrocks first ever Minor A Final appearance??
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

substandard
All Star

Post by substandard »

Bad day for favorites today, but a lovely bit of history for Shamrocks winning a first title.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

After reading "timbers" reference to Edenderry as a "strong" team I was very surprised to see that they were a very small team especially their corner backs & corner forwards and a few others as well.

Shamrocks looked a fine team and apart from physical advantages, at 6, 8,9, 11, 12 & 14 (plus HT sub 20) they have fine young footballers. For MOM I would have it as a toss up between 6 & 14 with 6, Alan Heffernan , my choice.

Many congratulations to Shamrocks on their first Minor title and it probably wont be the last for them or for Edenderry.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

A question:

Has my eyesight failed that badly or was the Shamrocks Number 1 Jersey exactly the same as Numbers 2 to 15 ?

I was flabbergasted that the Ref ignored this and that Edenderry did not tackle him any time he got the ball as without a "distinctive" jersey they had the right to tackle him in the square.

I have to say that this ref did not impress

substandard
All Star

Post by substandard »

Has my eyesight failed that badly or was the Shamrocks Number 1 Jersey exactly the same as Numbers 2 to 15 ?
The jersey the Shamrocks goalie was wearing was from the red/green set; the jersey for the set worn by the team was almost exactly like the Edenderry jersies, so to be honest, I don't know what the correct procedure in that case is.
I'm not sure about your comment about the ref, and I don't know how the free count worked out for each team. I suppose there's always going to be questionable decisions in any game; depending on what way your allegiances lie, they tend to be forgotten if your chosen team happens to win!! Shamrocks were under severe pressure coming up to half time, and the left side of the defence picked up two yellow cards in quick succession, and but for some bad wides Edenderry could have been well on their way at half time except for those misses.
Aaron McDonald is a huge man, and for his size a very good footballer, but Conor Condron by and large shadowed him very well- Edenderry were very good at isolating and picking him out from midfield, but maybe the support play was a bit slow coming up to him. (Speaking of yellow cards, I thought he was lucky enough to escape a yellow one stage in the first half coming over the top of Alan Heffernan, but then again I suppose the ball was there to be contested.)
Adam Mahon is a serious player- is he minor next year? He caused huge problems for Shamrocks driving forward. Oran Lawton seemed to pick up an ankle injury in the first half which seemed to hamper him a bit, he was playing very well up to that point.
Glen Mooney had the game of his life for Shamrocks, and was winning everything that came his way; I was surprised Edenderry didn't drop back a sweeper to try and contain him.
Shamrocks finished out the game well, they managed to work possession out from defence to attack very well; Ryan Daly, despite missing the first ball that came his way, picked out 5/5 of his next foot-passes. With both teams having a good number of players eligible next year, plus a potentially very strong St. Vincents, Na Fianna and of course Ferbane-Belmont, next year's minor championship should be very well contested- I'm sure Gracefield and Tullamore will consider themselves good enough to be in the reckoning also, and in the corresponding U16 final, Ferbane-Belmont beat Clara, who again won't be simple.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Rule 4.1 (i) Club teams shall wear their registered distinctive colours in inter-club competitions.
Where there is a similarity of colours, the teams shall change to their alternative registered colour(s), approved by the County Committee.

Rule 4.1 (iii) In all games, the goalkeeper shall wear a jersey which is distinctive from his own team’s and the opposing team’s colours.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.