Professionalism??

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Should the GAA go professional?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 15

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Professionalism??

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Alright lads, its time for another poll. this a very long on-going topic around the GAA, should it go professional? even Bertie is getting involved! Below is taken from the rte.ie website

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has said that he hopes any campaign by the GPA seeking pay-for-play for players fails to materialise.

Ahern, speaking during a radio interview yesterday, stated that the players need to be looked after but he would prefer not to see any form of professionalism emerge.

He said: "Ask me would I like to see professionalism with signed contracts and players bringing in their agents and I'd have to say I just can't take it."

His comments come in the aftermath of indications that the GPA are to step up their campaign in 2006.

Me personnally, i dont think it should go professional, but the players should be treated like professionals cos the their commitments to the game. What do ye think........

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Professional rugby can't sustain 4 teams - what chance professional gaelic football could sustain 32? Much less hurling?

The county structure couldn't take it - for those who say it could, look at proud rugby clubs in Wales like Pontypridd, Neath, Gwent etc., all either amalgamated or amateur.

I for one would travel the ends of the country to follow a panel of players do their best for Offaly, or my club or school for that matter - I wouldn't go as far as Tullamore to see a higher standard of player play for some Offaly/Laois/Westmeath amalgam against the South East stars taking in Wexford Carlow, Wicklow and Kilkenny.

Volunteers would leave the game in droves and the kids would suddenly have a lot less heroes walking around in their midst. The whole thing plainly wouldn't work - pay good mileage, salary protection in case of injury, and try to provide a good holiday for every county player at the end of the year. If that's not enough for them, someone else would bite their hand off to do it instead.