Brendan Murphy retires

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Greenwhiteandgold
Intermediate

Brendan Murphy retires

Post by Greenwhiteandgold »

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=180233

Best of luck to Brendan on his retirement. Many good years of service to the Offaly jersey. A natural hurler and committed player.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Brendan Murphy retires

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Best of luck to him in his retirement.
I remember back in 2000, aged 19, he announced himself on the national stage in the Leinster final against Kilkenny.
In the 1st half he took Philly Larkin for 4 points and sliced through the Kilkenny defence at will.
The next day out he had to rescue Offaly from the brink of implosion against Derry with a crucial goal.

Another memorable performance was in 2003 against Limerick where he re-joined the Offaly squad after re-sitting his Leaving Cert. He went on a mazy 60 yard run through the Limerick defence before finishing with what was ultimately the match winning goal. Little did we realise that this would be Offaly's last serious win for 5 years.

A bad run of injuries and busy schedule took their toll in later years. A lot of years he seemed to be rolling off the treatment table to play championship with little Spring hurling behind him.

The modern 'let it flow' game also mitigated against him. He wasn't the sort of player to smash his way through opponents or pull & drag as is now the norm.

A sound skin too. I remember in Flannerys in 2005 when he was celebrating UCD winning the Walsh Cup, he took time out from the collective buck lepping to talk Offaly hurling. He told me it was disappointing that lads like Christopher Flanagan weren't getting a gallop at county level. Excellent judgement and certainly not a hurling snob! :wink:

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Congrats to Brendan on a fantastic career.

He was pivotal in our last big win in a championship final (2000 Leinster u21 v KK in Portlaoise). Himself and Aidan Hanrahan were huge that day and I’m sure he thought the good times would roll on with a Leinster Minor and Senior runners up in the bag that year.

Alas, he soldiered through many’s the bad day and archived serious longevity when you consider the high demands placed on fitness in the last decade, not to mention his long standing involvement with UCD at Fitzgibbon, Dublin Club, Leinster Club and Intercounty Championship fixtures also.

If any man owes the jersey less its BM.

Best of luck in your retirement Brendan.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

A smashing hurler over a long number of years.

Thanks Brendan and enjoy your down-time

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Thank you for your contributions Brendan.

Good luck in your retirement.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

One of the most abiding memories I have of Brendan is of his performance on his debut in a league match in Ballinasloe at the start of 2000, when he hurled up a storm on the left wing on a very wet day. That 2000 Leinster Final performance Bord na Mona Man mentions also stands out as does his performance three weeks earlier against Wexford and the 2004 Leinster semi-final against Dublin (was it 2-5 he scored from play?).

Brendan made 98 appearances for Offaly (45 championship, 53 league). He scored 10-58 in championship and 6-73 in the league, all from play. There was something inspirational about a Murphy point from distance, in the way he seemed to wind up for the stroke. Something that made you shout "go on Murph" on an otherwise dreary day.

Now, only David Franks remains of Offaly hurlers who have played in All-Ireland Senior Finals.

His goal from a narrow angle in the 2003 County Final will also be remembered, as will his performance iin the last quarter of that year's semi-final when he filleted the Kinnitty defence.

Thanks for the memories, Brendan.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

Congratulations to Brendan on a fine inter-county career. I share the great memories mentioned above - particularly of his break-out first year and then the crucial goal against Limerick in Thurles. He's got a lot to be proud of. He was unfortunate that his inter-county career coincided with Offaly's decline. What silverware would he have? - the Leinster Under 21 championship and a Division 2 title? Anything else?

Thanks and good luck in your retirement, Brendan!!

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

A very skillful player and a joy to watch when he was on song.Has given great sevice to Offaly, thanks Brendan. Pity he didn't get a senior provincial medal to go with the under 21 one.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

I want to add my best wishes to Brendan on his retirement, and thank him for his contribution to Offaly hurling. A pity he didn't win at least a provincial medal for efforts and skill. A player who if he was in another county might have a Celtic Cross by now.
I didn't see any mention on the national media, apart from a brief mention on Friday's drivetime sport.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

The story was in the 'Daily Cork' on Friday, Searing. Click this link . . .
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ ... 12761.html
SearingDrive wrote:I didn't see any mention on the national media, apart from a brief mention on Friday's drivetime sport.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

SearingDrive wrote:I want to add my best wishes to Brendan on his retirement, and thank him for his contribution to Offaly hurling. A pity he didn't win at least a provincial medal for efforts and skill. A player who if he was in another county might have a Celtic Cross by now.
I didn't see any mention on the national media, apart from a brief mention on Friday's drivetime sport.
it was on the Sun and Star newspapers during the week, with offaly gone from the top of the hurling ladder this 12 years thats
why there is not much about him hanging up his hurl.

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

The very best of luck brendan thanks for the great service. A great role model for any young up and coming hurler. An absolute gentleman as well.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Here's one to keep ye busy.

Brendan Murphy scored 10 championship goals. List the matches he scored those goals in.

(answer tomorrow (Monday) evening - if I think of it).

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Here's one to keep ye busy.

Brendan Murphy scored 10 championship goals. List the matches he scored those goals in.

(answer tomorrow (Monday) evening - if I think of it).
I'll get the ball rolling with the first 6:

2000 - 3 goals, 1 vs Wexford, 2 vs Derry
2002 - 2 goals, 1 vs Kilkenny, 1 vs Meath
2003 - 1 goal, 1 vs Limerick.

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

Best of luck to brendan on his retirement, he was part (just) of the golden era & always has given everything for club and county. He unfortunately never had the team around him to win the medals his talent deserved.