Hurling Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Re: Hurling Championship

Post by kingscounty »

bracknaghboy wrote:
kingscounty wrote:its between killavilla and edenderry for leinster , whoever gets further in the championship as the two teams are junior. easy mistake to make as killavilla were senior and inter not to long ago. it will be interesting to see how lusmagh get on in leinster as in recent years we seen brosna gaels and drumcullen ship heavy defeats from junior teams in kilkenny. when was the last time lusmagh made a leinster appearance?
Great to see Edenderry in the Offaly Junior semi final. They are the last club that end of the county still hurling (something the county board seem disinterested in changing). I haven't got to any Junior games this year but I'll have a guess and say it'll be Killavilla and Edenderry in the final with Killavilla lifting the trophy.
i wouldnt right off any of the teams that are left. ballinamere and edenderry will be a close game the two teams would be more or less on a level par, really its killavilla s championship to throw away, they are unbeaten all year and look very strong but im going for shinrone to win against killavilla thats if they dont lose any players to their senior team.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Bracknaghboy, County board had to sign a disclaimer saying they would only allow Edenderry to hurl in the north of the county, as the insurance costs would be horrific if the Clonbullocks were ever to take up the the ash plant!!

:roll:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

1989, KC, when the Reds won their only Senior county title. They played Cuala on O'Toole Park shortly after (as in, before the county final-induced hangover had worn off). Cuala went on to knock out All-Ireland champions Buffers Alley in the next round before being beaten by eventual All-Ireland champions Ballyhale Shamrocks in the Leinster Final. That Cuala team contained Dublin countymen Damien Byrne, MIck and Vinny Holden and Colm Ó Giolláin, as well as Karl Schutte (father of current Dublin hurlers Paul and Mark Schutte).
kingscounty wrote: when was the last time lusmagh made a leinster appearance?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Bracknaghboy, County board had to sign a disclaimer saying they would only allow Edenderry to hurl in the north of the county, as the insurance costs would be horrific if the Clonbullocks were ever to take up the the ash plant!!

I think there would be a lot of broken bones if we ever took to the ash. Bracknagh boy I don't think it's the county boards fault as such. For example we have two players hurling this year, one with grace field and one with edenderry. I know for a fact that one of them was given a hard time over this and from what I've been told he his after packing in the hurling. This is totally wrong. Football clubs should be supportive of hurlers in there club. I hope this doesn't go on in any other club.

It was only a few years ago rhode and Daingean had hurling teams and weren't to bad. Why not try start these up again. I know edenderry mightn't agree as they have players from both clubs on there teams but it would benefit north Offaly in hurling terms. Even try promote hurling in staunch football areas like ourselves (clonbullogue) bracknagh, Walsh island. Even combine them 3 and do something similar like broana Gaels. It can be achievable if you get a few right heads together.

Hurling is dying a slow death in north Offaly and that isn't just a statement, it's a fact. Edenderry are doing a good job underage at the moment with hurling and I admire them for that. But hurling needs to be promoted in all areas of north Offaly.
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

sadtimes2012
Junior C

Re: St Rynagh's 0-15 Coolderry 1-7

Post by sadtimes2012 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Nothing echoes quite like the sound of champions crashing out. St Rynagh’s hurled like men possessed and the verdict was in little doubt at half time when ’Rynagh’s led 0-9 to 0-3.

’Rynagh’s made a better job of picking their team. Pat Camon excelled at full-back, Conor Hernon kept Kevin Connolly quiet and Eoin Ryan was anonymous against Niall Wynne (Ryan was taken off). Conor Clancy manned his square well and made a number of fine fetches under pressure. Dermot Shortt had his finest hour at centre-back, leading by example with a series of fine fetches and clearances. Simon Lyons was brilliant at 7, Stephen Wynne did better at 5.

Coolderry mande no impact at midfield either. Nigel White and Gary Conneely got an early grip there, Diarmuid Horan moved there during the first half and took ownership of the sector. Gary Kelly, Ciarán Flannery and Seán Dolan worked mighty hard throughout – nothing flash, but no less effective, while Stephen Quirke and Ger Scales (both correctly cast at corner-forward) were mighty. Quirke scored three, Scales two from play and a pair of frees.

Coolderry were completely devoid of leadership and direction. Kevin Connolly almost got in for a trademark early goal but was dispossessed as he squeezed the trigger and the chance was lost. Meanwhile, ’Rynagh’s stamped their authority with three points in the first seven minutes. Lazy reporters will point to Coolderry’s 15 wides (9 in the first half) and speculate that the result would be different if they converted a proportion of those. My feeling is that they still wouldn’t have won. There was such a difference in the psychological preparation of these two teams than ’Rynagh’s were not going to be denied today.

Coolderry brought on three subs, all defenders – David King (who later moved to attach), Brian Kelly and Stephen Connolly, which was odd given that it was their attack that was drowning in the Shannon tide. St Rynagh’s led 0-15 to 0-6 (and a fair reflection of the gulf in the balance of play) with a minute to go. Brian Carroll raced in for a goal in the 60th minute and Carroll finished the scoring with the last puck.

St Rynagh’s will take stopping now – they are settled now after all the chopping and changing that went on during the group stages. Today will be a huge boost to their confidence and after a 19 year absence Seán Robbins is nearer to returning to Shannonside than he has been at any time in the last 10 years.

sadtimes2012
Junior C

Post by sadtimes2012 »

hard luck to coolderry on sunday enjoyed all last year ye did offaly proud .dissapointed with the sideline decisions on sunday . damien murray was a big loss why barry teehan was taken off is a mystery and then brought back on not like ken hogans decisions. As for banagher sideline and supporters leaves a lot to be desired god help us if they were to represent offaly

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:1989, KC, when the Reds won their only Senior county title. They played Cuala on O'Toole Park shortly after (as in, before the county final-induced hangover had worn off). Cuala went on to knock out All-Ireland champions Buffers Alley in the next round before being beaten by eventual All-Ireland champions Ballyhale Shamrocks in the Leinster Final. That Cuala team contained Dublin countymen Damien Byrne, MIck and Vinny Holden and Colm Ó Giolláin, as well as Karl Schutte (father of current Dublin hurlers Paul and Mark Schutte).
kingscounty wrote: when was the last time lusmagh made a leinster appearance?
it would be great for the county if lusmagh could win a leinster,best of luck to them on their quest for silverware.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Oh, will ya stop. It's one game at a time. Lusmagh play Coolderry in the semi-final next. Coolderry will have a few home from abroad for that, lads that missed the Round 5 match against Lusmagh. Coolderry's Juniors bowed out at the weekend, so they will be able to call up whom ever they require from that team too. Yes, Lusmagh are hurling well, and are playing a lovely brand of hurling, but it should be noted (and highlighted with one of those yellow flourescent pens) Birr Intermediates were missing half of last year's team and consequently had half a Junior team out and only brought 18 players to Kinnitty.

Complacency is a big, big risk for Lusmagh. Past performance is no guarantee of future performance. Just look at Coolderry Seniors last Sunday. I was sceptical about Coolderry retaining the Senior title but I was in a very small minority with that line of thinking.

Anyway, the Kilkenny Junior champions nearly always win that Leinster Junior club championship. As for the county, t'will be all the same to them, one way or the other.
kingscounty wrote:it would be great for the county if lusmagh could win a leinster,best of luck to them on their quest for silverware.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

theman wrote:
Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Bracknaghboy, County board had to sign a disclaimer saying they would only allow Edenderry to hurl in the north of the county, as the insurance costs would be horrific if the Clonbullocks were ever to take up the the ash plant!!

I think there would be a lot of broken bones if we ever took to the ash. Bracknagh boy I don't think it's the county boards fault as such. For example we have two players hurling this year, one with grace field and one with edenderry. I know for a fact that one of them was given a hard time over this and from what I've been told he his after packing in the hurling. This is totally wrong. Football clubs should be supportive of hurlers in there club. I hope this doesn't go on in any other club.

It was only a few years ago rhode and Daingean had hurling teams and weren't to bad. Why not try start these up again. I know edenderry mightn't agree as they have players from both clubs on there teams but it would benefit north Offaly in hurling terms. Even try promote hurling in staunch football areas like ourselves (clonbullogue) bracknagh, Walsh island. Even combine them 3 and do something similar like broana Gaels. It can be achievable if you get a few right heads together.

Hurling is dying a slow death in north Offaly and that isn't just a statement, it's a fact. Edenderry are doing a good job underage at the moment with hurling and I admire them for that. But hurling needs to be promoted in all areas of north Offaly.
You've made some very good points here Man and the situation you describe about players getting a hard time over trying to play hurling in north Offaly when from a football club is very common (the same is true in the south for a footballer). You say its not the county boards fault....well what have they done to review the situation? Have they not got together and asked why is there now no hurling in Daingean when 15 years ago they had 2 teams and an underage scene. Have they asked why there is no hurling anymore in Rhode or Croghan when 15 years ago it was thriving? Why do Ballyfore not have a team anymore when they won a championship in the late nineties? Why is it that a town as big as Edenderry cannot put a minor team on the field? Why is Edenderry the last remaining club that offers hurling in the area? When I seen Edenderry play last year around half the team was made up of Daingean and Rhode lads.

The hurling situation is truly dire in north Offaly. Has the county board ever contacted any of the clubs I mentioned or called a meeting to discuss why hurling has fallen off the face of the earth in the clubs.
You make a good point about promoting hurling with combined teams (like Brosna) but the county board have never tried to promote anything.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

bracknaghboy wrote:
theman wrote:

You've made some very good points here Man and the situation you describe about players getting a hard time over trying to play hurling in north Offaly when from a football club is very common (the same is true in the south for a footballer). You say its not the county boards fault....well what have they done to review the situation? Have they not got together and asked why is there now no hurling in Daingean when 15 years ago they had 2 teams and an underage scene. Have they asked why there is no hurling anymore in Rhode or Croghan when 15 years ago it was thriving? Why do Ballyfore not have a team anymore when they won a championship in the late nineties? Why is it that a town as big as Edenderry cannot put a minor team on the field? Why is Edenderry the last remaining club that offers hurling in the area? When I seen Edenderry play last year around half the team was made up of Daingean and Rhode lads.
The hurling situation is truly dire in north Offaly. Has the county board ever contacted any of the clubs I mentioned or called a meeting to discuss why hurling has fallen off the face of the earth in the clubs.
You make a good point about promoting hurling with combined teams (like Brosna) but the county board have never tried to promote anything.

I dont think there was an underage hurling club in Daingean 15 years ago.I would have been under 12 then and I never remember hearing I had an option to hurl with a club in Daingean.Also I dont think there were 2 adult hurling teams in Daingean around then if ever.Daingean got to the junior b final around 2000 and were beaten in a replay by St Columbas (Ballinamere/Durrow) and the last timeDaingean had a hurling team was around 2006 however we were in both league and championship and got an a annihilated in almost every match we played around there wasnt a huge amount of interest and alot of teh better players went on to play for other clubs after that.I dont honestly think there was a negative attitue to hurling in Daingean or the game being run down just a lack of interest .There are only 3 parishes in Offaly that dont have an adult hurling teamDaingean,Rhose and (St broughans area , if that is aeven a parish) which is a good deal better than most other counties.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Oh, will ya stop. It's one game at a time. Lusmagh play Coolderry in the semi-final next. Coolderry will have a few home from abroad for that, lads that missed the Round 5 match against Lusmagh. Coolderry's Juniors bowed out at the weekend, so they will be able to call up whom ever they require from that team too. Yes, Lusmagh are hurling well, and are playing a lovely brand of hurling, but it should be noted (and highlighted with one of those yellow flourescent pens) Birr Intermediates were missing half of last year's team and consequently had half a Junior team out and only brought 18 players to Kinnitty.

Complacency is a big, big risk for Lusmagh. Past performance is no guarantee of future performance. Just look at Coolderry Seniors last Sunday. I was sceptical about Coolderry retaining the Senior title but I was in a very small minority with that line of thinking.

Anyway, the Kilkenny Junior champions nearly always win that Leinster Junior club championship. As for the county, t'will be all the same to them, one way or the other.
kingscounty wrote:it would be great for the county if lusmagh could win a leinster,best of luck to them on their quest for silverware.
all i was saying was it would be great for the county, look at coolderrys run last year the whole county got behind them and it gave hurling folk something to cheer about. they were wished well because their in leinster already , i know they still have an offaly championship to play and i will wish them well in that to wheres the harm. an attitude like (the kilkenny junior champions always win ) is good to have alright, bet before you take to the field sure why bother entering it! you were sceptical about coolderry alright but you still went for coolderry 1-18 st.rynaghs 0-14, have you got one of those flourescent pens for that! :lol:

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

I think Lusmagh will be fully focused on winning an intermediate county championship and not overly bothered about Leinster. Its good to see them doing well.

I have not heard too much about Coolderry but they have had some good results. Who is hurling with them this year? Any young talent that should be porogressing to senior soon? Who of note is in the line up?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

This is the Cooldery team that lined out against Lusmagh in what was actually a good game of hurling, Tim. Stephen Burke is a doughty full-back and would be one of the more likely ones to progress to Senior. Fergal Parlon got through an amount of work in the forwards, as did Nigel Dooley, as did Andrew Hall at midfield. Andrew Connolly was typically dangerous

1 Shane O’Connor; 2 Paul Hudson, 3 Stephen Burke, 4 John Moloughney; 7 Paul Maloney, 6 Liam Brady, 5 Paul Mahon; 8 Shane Miller (0-1), 9 Andrew Hall (0-2, 1 line ball); 10 Conor Nolan, 11 Fergal Parlon (0-3), 12 Michael Ryan; 13 Andrew Connolly (0-4, 3 frees), 14 Nigel Dooley, 15 Kevin Larkin (1-1). Subs: None.
timber wrote:I think Lusmagh will be fully focused on winning an intermediate county championship and not overly bothered about Leinster. Its good to see them doing well.

I have not heard too much about Coolderry but they have had some good results. Who is hurling with them this year? Any young talent that should be porogressing to senior soon? Who of note is in the line up?

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

DAF wrote: I dont think there was an underage hurling club in Daingean 15 years ago.I would have been under 12 then and I never remember hearing I had an option to hurl with a club in Daingean.Also I dont think there were 2 adult hurling teams in Daingean around then if ever.Daingean got to the junior b final around 2000 and were beaten in a replay by St Columbas (Ballinamere/Durrow) and the last timeDaingean had a hurling team was around 2006 however we were in both league and championship and got an a annihilated in almost every match we played around there wasnt a huge amount of interest and alot of teh better players went on to play for other clubs after that.I dont honestly think there was a negative attitue to hurling in Daingean or the game being run down just a lack of interest .There are only 3 parishes in Offaly that dont have an adult hurling teamDaingean,Rhose and (St broughans area , if that is aeven a parish) which is a good deal better than most other counties.
Definitely DAF Daingean had underage teams in the 90's (maybe not 15 years ago but there was 20 years ago). Also there was a Junior C and a Junior B team in Daingean....again it might have been 20 years ago (God time fly's by and I'm showing my age :shock: ).

The question is how come 15-20 years ago there was 100+ adult males hurling with Edenderry, Daingean, Ballyfore, Croghan (then Rhode)and now its down to about 20.
Have the county board ever stopped to ask why I wonder? I just think its a real shame that this great game is all but gone that end of the county.

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

Has anyone managed to see any fixtures for next weekends hurling yet lads. From what I've heard, the Senior/Inter/Junior semi's are all going ahead but Offaly Co Board are obviously trying to keep it a secret for as long as possible!!