Hurling Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
hoohaa
Junior C
Club: belmont

Re: Hurling Championship

Post by hoohaa »

What was the sending off like in the belmont match. Did he deserve it and had it much if an effect on the game

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Relegation - bottom team in each group play a relegation game at neutral venue (in the event of a draw extra time to be played in all relegation games).

Promotion and relegation from Senior to Intermediate and from Intermediate to Junior will be on a one up one down basis. Therefore the relegation final will not take place until all clubs who have a second team in the next grade of the Championship are defeated eg Senior Football relegation will not take place until all clubs with Senior teams have exited the Intermediate Championship.

** NO RELEGATION IN SENIOR FOOTBALL FOR 2012 ONLY.
https://docs.google.com/a/gaa.ie/viewer ... U1MjVjZDVm
jimbob17 wrote:just as a matter of interest, how is the relegation working. is it bottom tw in semis or bottom 1 in final. take it Tullamore Drumcullen Kinnity and Shamrocks are contenders. It'd be a fair wake up call if Tullamore or Kinnity went down while the other 2 are inter material or not far off!!!!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

shannonbanks14 wrote:sorry kinnityman i have to agree with plain dude,with his predictions, cant see rynaghs losin to belmont, and birr still havent any of their missing men back for the shinrone game so that be very close. i do think damien murray(an excellent club hurler) could be a massive loss yet for coolderry, and him going brings them back in with the pack a bit.they still havent been tested and if some team does put it up to them who knows how they'll handle it.unless shinrone surprise someone in the quarters i still think after all the huffin and puffin it will be the same four again as last year in the semis(unless they meet each other in the quarters that is).i just feel they are still the best four teams in the county.
Were St Rynaghs missing any players???.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Birr 0-14 Shinrone 0-11

Shinrone dominated this for 20 minutes and Birr were truly awful during this time. Abject. It took Birr ten minutes to cross the end line (that was a wide), another minute to win a free and by the time they got their first score, Shinrone had already scored four themselves. Shinrone still led 0-8 to 0-1 after 20 minutes, Shane McKelvey and Darrren Crean had each scored points from distance, their half-back line dominating the Birr puckouts, Derek Morkan was rampant and they were winning frees by running at Birr.

Then a few things happened. Seán Ryan upended Darren Crean with a thundering frontal challenge (not premeditated, mind, both went full-blooded for the ball and Crean had got to the ball marginally before Ryan), and Birr began to secure possession by playing shorter puckouts. Crean’s influence waned after that though, which made it a critical moment. Birr’s possession began to garner frees in all sectors, and picking off points had the gap reduced to 0-8 to 0-4 by half-time.

Birr picked up where they left off, dominating possession, and Shinrone’s attacks were more sporadic. Shinrone’s attackes were more frantic, less ordered, they lost shape and hit too many wide too, particularly a Michael Cordial effort that tailed wide, and a Derek Morkan effort from distance that went wide that would have inspired them, as Michael Cleary, Mark Morkan and Colin O’Meara were hurling well enough and while Daniel Hoctor wasn’t making headway at full-forward, he was still a danger.

A mighty Barry Harding point from distance inspired Birr and they drew level, 0-10 each with 12 minutes to go. Paul Cleary was glad to see Hoctor taken off, replaced by a Minor. Birr went on to lead 0-14 to 0-11 in stoppage time, Michael Cordial had a chance of an (undeserved) equaliser from a 20m free, but that was blocked and time was up.

Birr can thank Barry Whelahan, Rory Hannify and Paul Cleary who kept them in it when going against the tide early on. Generally it was the old dogs that won it for them and even at that, Hayden, Ryan and the like performed sporadically. They’ll beat Brosna Gaels and as group toppers would be seeded to avoid Coolderry in the semi-final (should both make it).

How Shinrone react to this will define them. Willie Comerford didn’t line out at full-back and was badly missed. With Comerford back they’re still good enough to beat Clareen and make a semi-final.

Finally, big hats off to the Carrig & Riverstown club. Never has there been as many stewards at a hurling match, they were fantastically organised with over 20 stewards to show the way to the car park. 10 out of 10.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

much like the inter county scene the championship starts now, :wink: Birr have done well with the players that are missing
plus theres no pressure on them this season and are ticking along nicely. :D

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

In fairness to Birr when you consider the amount of players missing for them to come out and still top the group is really some going. The old guard are still coming up trumps for them. When the game was in the melting pot against Shinrone the two Whelahans really stood up along with Rory and Paul Cleary. Barry Hardings point scored off the hurl in the second half was as good a score I've seen for a long while. Shinrone could have leveled it at the death with the 21 yard free but it wasn't to be. There few wides before half time was there undoing in the end. Lack of experience was probably also a factor.If they can learn from that there still well fit to make the semi final.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Re: Junior Hurling Championship

By my reckoning, the Junior hurling quarter-final pairings are -

Kinnitty v Edenderry
Shinrone v Coolderry
Ballinamere v Kilcormac, and
Clareen v Killavilla

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:By my reckoning, the Junior hurling quarter-final pairings are -

Kinnitty v Edenderry
Shinrone v Coolderry
Clareen v Killavilla
your spot on with them pairings plain of the herbs. now the fun begins, no home advantage for any of the teams now, its knock out, its do or die. any word on time and dates and venues yet?

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

kingscounty wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:By my reckoning, the Junior hurling quarter-final pairings are -

Kinnitty v Edenderry
Shinrone v Coolderry
Clareen v Killavilla
your spot on with them pairings plain of the herbs. now the fun begins, no home advantage for any of the teams now, its knock out, its do or die. any word on time and dates and venues yet?
No, I think Coolderry and KK have to playoff for who comes second and third in their group. They drew with each other during the group stage and both ended on 9pts each and I think one of them got a walkover so they can't be seperated by score difference. I could be wrong though but that what I heard.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

You might be right, Kings. The only place I've seen fixtures for the coming weekend is on Aertel and that does list a JHC playoff between the two.
allstar2010 wrote:
kingscounty wrote:

Kinnitty v Edenderry
Shinrone v Coolderry
Clareen v Killavilla
No, I think Coolderry and KK have to playoff for who comes second and third in their group. They drew with each other during the group stage and both ended on 9pts each and I think one of them got a walkover so they can't be seperated by score difference. I could be wrong though but that what I heard.
Aertel also lists a SHC fixture between Clareen and Shamrocks. Thing is, is there any point in playing this match? It doesn't improve or disimprove either sides' positions. Clareen with hurl Shinrone in the quarter-final regardless. And why was this match not played last Saturday?

Greenwhiteandgold
Intermediate

Post by Greenwhiteandgold »

when are the quarter finals of the senior, intermediate and junior being played ??

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Aertel also lists a SHC fixture between Clareen and Shamrocks. Thing is, is there any point in playing this match? It doesn't improve or disimprove either sides' positions. Clareen with hurl Shinrone in the quarter-final regardless. And why was this match not played last Saturday?
Sorry, I may have misled people here. My understanding was that this fixture ended up in Shamrocks conceding a walkover, but in fact it was postponement due to more waterlogged pitches. That said, you'd presume that there is no point in playing, as you say. Can't see either side being in a rush to play this.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

According to the Master Fixtures list (which is presently on target as far as hurling is concerned) the Senior and Junior quarter-finals are to be played on the week ending Sat 1st / Sun 2nd September. For some reson no date is given for either the IHC quarter-finals or semi-finals,
Greenwhiteandgold wrote:when are the quarter finals of the senior, intermediate and junior being played ??

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

The folly of fixing a match for Kilcormac at the same time Kilcormac themselves were hurling elsewhere, I'd say. Who did they think was going to open the gates, turn on the hot water etc.? The fairies?
Lone Shark wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Aertel also lists a SHC fixture between Clareen and Shamrocks. Thing is, is there any point in playing this match? It doesn't improve or disimprove either sides' positions. Clareen with hurl Shinrone in the quarter-final regardless. And why was this match not played last Saturday?
Sorry, I may have misled people here. My understanding was that this fixture ended up in Shamrocks conceding a walkover, but in fact it was postponement due to more waterlogged pitches. That said, you'd presume that there is no point in playing, as you say. Can't see either side being in a rush to play this.

Greenwhiteandgold
Intermediate

Post by Greenwhiteandgold »

Intermediate quarter finals confirmed

Lusmagh v Birr
Coolderry v Carrig/Riverstown
K/k v Killurin
Ballinamere v Rynaghs

All the matches have the makings of being good ones.