Birr's loss/ McIntyre's Gain

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
black and red exile
All Star

Birr's loss/ McIntyre's Gain

Post by black and red exile »

Although the initial reaction, as we watched the game from the hill in Tullamore on Sunday was of disappointment, on cold reflection later in the evening, , for the County,s sake, and certainly for John McIntyre its probably a blessing that Birr bowed out of the provincial championship on Sunday at Parnell Park.
The manager and his selectors now have a full hand to work with in preparation for the League,[ with the possible exception of Brendan Murphy who looks like he will have an extended winter with UCD],and it can only work wonders for his plans for 2006, which lets be honest would have been thrown up in the air if the Birr contingent had not been available until February at the earliest, and possibly March if Birr had been successful in Leinster.
Its obvious reading his interview with Loan Shark that John McIntyre will leave no stone unturned in trying to revive Offaly's fortunes after a harrowing 2005, and with a full panel to work with from the off, it can only put his training programme right on cue in putting Offaly back sitting at the top table with the big boys with at least a last eight place in croker very much achievable next year.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I don't claim to know much about hurling but did he not have a full hand to work with last year as well?? Don't take this as an assault on him, I was very impressed with him from his interview and I appreciate the task he and the team have ahead of them, but I don't think a couple of extra months training will solve all our problems.

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

I agree with black n' red here, in recent years without a birr team at the beginning of the year has proven costly for our league campaign, which is poor preparation of the championship the following summer.

By the way, have the league fixtures been finalised yet?

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

[quote="Rynaghs Biffo"]I agree with black n' red here, in recent years without a birr team at the beginning of the year has proven costly for our league campaign, which is poor preparation of the championship the following summer.[quote]

Agreed. Also have to say that the amount of hurling done by Birr in the past few years is beginning to tell in the legs. The Hanniffys in particular looked in desperate need of a winter break.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Funnily enough I think it's some of the Birr lads that are most in need of a winter's training - possibly not the Hanniffy's, but the tendency of the likes of Brown and Claffey to find the white heat of championship a little much leads me to believe that a winter doing ball work with Birr followed by a spring of doing ball work with Offaly mightn't be best for them. Equally Hayden and Cleary could do with getting plenty of county hurling experience behind them.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

In reply to ''The man from Ferbane'' Would it not be more beneficial for the whole panel to be together from the word go instead of a bunch of players from the one club joining the rest of the squad two or three months down the line with a very tough winter programme over half way completed.
The word on the grapevine is that the winter training is going to be more intense than last year, and surely if we have any chance of progress next year then its vitally important that all the panel are following the same programme set out by John McIntyre and his selectors from day one.
In answer to'' Rynaghs Biffo''as far as I know the league fixtures for the football and hurling will be finalised at the end of this month.

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

This will be the first year in this millenium in which a virtually full Offaly panel will be available for all of a Division One campaign. That has to be a major plus for our League chances and then our Championship prospects.

Does anybody know the way that Gary Hanniffy's suspension will work. The referee said that he was sent off for "Striking with a Hurley". That sounds bad! Will the sentence wait until Birr come out of Offaly again or does it kick in now or worse still during the county hurling season?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Bogman

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

As far as I know, Bogman, if Gary is reported for striking with the hurl, he will suffer a three month suspension. BUT December and January don't count for suspensions, so it could be early April before he can take the field again. However, if reported for "rough play" he would get 4 weeks.
In addition, he would have to sit out Birr's next match in the Leinster club, whenever that would be.
Double jeopardy GAA style? Looks like a case for Martin Breheny!