Offaly senior football team 2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Long John
All Star

Re: offaly senior football team 2012

Post by Long John »

townman wrote:Ciran Kiely is back with Gracefield for 2012 i hear, as for Allen not good enough for centre back who else!
Scott or Ross Brady way to slow and haven't the football Allen has, Shane O'Sullivan would be the choice after Allen.

The best two I am afraid to say are Mitchell and Sullivan. I think its the only position for both actually.

Ross Brady I wouldnt have on the panel. Scott should be a midfield option and get a good 40 minutes out of him.

Allen as some other poster said is actually a forward. Id have him on the panel maybe as a centre forward or an option as wing forward dropping back as an extra half back.

Not too many options there all the same.

happy harry
Intermediate

Post by happy harry »

i mean to slow to do things on a football field.he has a hurling mindset which is understandable as he is a top class hurler. football IS entirely different.I THINK HE IS EXTREMELY ACCURATE BUT IS HE BETTER THAN NIALL MAC, CASEY, SULLIVAN , DUNNE, CONNOR, REYNOLDS , DEEHAN...MAYBE BUT I DONT FEEL HE IS

happy harry
Intermediate

Post by happy harry »

NO U ARE MISTAKEN...REILLY WAS POOR THAT DAY AND AS TOWNMAN PIONTED OUT KIELY WAS ONE OF OUR BETTER PLAYERS

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

happy harry wrote:NO U ARE MISTAKEN...REILLY WAS POOR THAT DAY AND AS TOWNMAN PIONTED OUT KIELY WAS ONE OF OUR BETTER PLAYERS
We'll have to disagree. I remember the game well because he was so loose. Got on a bit of ball himself but Reilly got so many chances and assists.

Reilly won a huge amount of ball but his shooting was terrible really awfull that day. If i remember correct in the next round any shot he took went over.

If Kiely is to make it as a back at intercounty level he has to tighten up. A backsmans number one job is to defend. I do feel he is worth a run but he needs to improve on that aspect.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Long John wrote:
happy harry wrote:NO U ARE MISTAKEN...REILLY WAS POOR THAT DAY AND AS TOWNMAN PIONTED OUT KIELY WAS ONE OF OUR BETTER PLAYERS
We'll have to disagree. I remember the game well because he was so loose. Got on a bit of ball himself but Reilly got so many chances and assists.

Reilly won a huge amount of ball but his shooting was terrible really awfull that day. If i remember correct in the next round any shot he took went over.

If Kiely is to make it as a back at intercounty level he has to tighten up. A backsmans number one job is to defend. I do feel he is worth a run but he needs to improve on that aspect.
offaly weren't great that day but Kiely i though done alright i think your getting mixed up with Richie Dalton who had a nightmare at centreback and was fault for Meath's goal.

happy harry
Intermediate

Post by happy harry »

fair enough but i still dont agree just watchn the first half here now and reilly has touched it twice and has had no shot ...3 min left in first half. but what i will say is that is that i can see what u mean with him bieng slightly loose....he was good on the ball but i see what ur saying...second half now to come

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

townman wrote:
Long John wrote:

offaly weren't great that day but Kiely i though done alright i think your getting mixed up with Richie Dalton who had a nightmare at centreback and was fault for Meath's goal.
Oh dont mention Richie Dalton. The chap just did not turn up that day. He was at fault for more than a goal.

happy harry
Intermediate

Post by happy harry »

just watched it in its entirety...dalton was woeful...and niall darby was so out of his depth the junior c standard free taking aside he was on the ball 3 times in first half in general play. reynolds was bad aswell . niall mac was clearly hobbling through it and was still our best chance of a score...although he only got a pint from play he created caseys goal and brian connor's one aswell. ive a day off so im going through the different games...nothing else to be doing :mrgreen:

RexHamilton
Junior B

Post by RexHamilton »

Long John wrote: Just a few other points. I dont see anything in Guilfoyle. Unquestionably he has great speed because of his long stride. But the man is not a good footballer. He has been very bad in club games even. On his county performances so far he has been the reason for more scores against his team than alot of defenders. Completely over rated.

Matt Mitchell certainly wouldnt be on the wing anyway. Hes struggles with pace. But he is a good reader of the game and uses the ball very well. Ideally he would be my choice at centre back. But there is the discipline issues around him. He's one of many to be fair who like the social side of been seen as a county footballer more so than performing like a county footballer. But in general that's a problem with 90% of the panel. Cooney has to knock this partying culture out of these lads. They shouldnt be near a pub until their out of the all Ireland series. And I dont think thats over the top, it's just doing things the right way.
John Reynolds will be delighted you've decided to give him a break to have a go at some of his club mates. I don't think you could in your right mind pick an Offaly team, never mind a panel, without Graham Guilfoyle on it. He, along with Anton Sullivan, should be the men the new backroom team are looking to to make the leap and bring their performances from underage Offaly teams to the senior fold. He may not be the finished article but to claim he's not a good footaller is ludicrous. He's one of the best ball carriers we have and his final ball could do with some improvement but isn't that what young lads are training with their county teams for?

Matt Mitchell likes the social side of being seen as a county footballer more so than performing like a county footballer. A damning indictment there on a fella who would have been central to the Offaly team last year had he not spent the entire first half of the year recovering from an injury and a claim that I would say is far off the mark. Mitchell has always struck me as a dedicated and determined footballer.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

happy harry wrote:just watched it in its entirety...dalton was woeful...and niall darby was so out of his depth the junior c standard free taking aside he was on the ball 3 times in first half in general play. reynolds was bad aswell . niall mac was clearly hobbling through it and was still our best chance of a score...although he only got a pint from play he created caseys goal and brian connor's one aswell. ive a day off so im going through the different games...nothing else to be doing :mrgreen:
you should have a look at the 1982 final that will bring a smile to your face :D

happy harry
Intermediate

Post by happy harry »

FOR SURE IT WOULD..martin furlong was some man...the amount he achieved is unreal

thelittletown
Junior C

Post by thelittletown »

townman wrote:i don't think Dooley is slow happy larry i think he has bulk up alright, he is quick enough to get out to a ball
and yes Kiely had a good game at half back again meath he was about the only one.

he also played a good game again kerry a few years ago in the league down in kerry he should make it if he gets the call
who is this A,Murphy was he the fullback for Gracefield this year he was also on the offaly under21 team he would be Martin Murphys
son would he be.
Dooley would have the pace for intercounty football, how could anyone say any different and of offalys so called intercounty backs would find it hard to mark him..Kiely has a lot of talent if he gets his head right and gets fit..ye its Martins son, he was full back for gracefield this year and wing back on the u21's..a bit wasted at full back but no one else there that could really fill the position fot them..very commited on the field..
Karl slattery isn going back in along with a few other of the more experienced guys..from what i here there not WANTED!!in my opinion karl is prob still one of the best footballers in the county and other counties would be happy to have him..i agree with bringing all new players in but that doesnt necesarily mean you get rid of all the other lads..the likes of karl should be in there for at least a voice, he a legend of the last 15 years of offaly football and is still only 32?

thelittletown
Junior C

Post by thelittletown »

coming from an edenderry man, we as offaly men are going to have to forget about richie dalton at intercounty level..he had a great year for us at club but he was playing against poor midfielders..doesnt offer enough, big engine but thats all..nice chap but has been given his chance and in my opinion didnt take it, theres better players in edenderry lik stephen guing and derek kelly..just my opinion..

bogman1776
Junior C

Post by bogman1776 »

Nobody seems to be looking beyond senior clubs. Cork won All Ireland last year with most of their players coming from clubs that are not in the senior grade. There needs to be better scouting of other grades within the county. It won't happen for 2012 but it should feature in the planning for the 2013 squad

happy harry
Intermediate

Post by happy harry »

guing and kelly are not as good as dalton. dalton gets a hard time from people around offaly because he has had alot of bad games for offaly; and he has had some shocking games, but when a lad sarts to perform well he deserves to be judged fairly and not on previous assumptions or reputations dalton was the single most important reason edenderry won the championship this year, kelly and guing did well all the same ;but ritchie lead the team. im not painting him into something he's not because i probably might not start him on my best 15 but he b damn close. he was terrific against monaghan last year and that game although its a once off shows he can do it a this level. we could have a good battle for midfield this year with niall smith,brian connor and dalton. the idea of playin connor anywhere 'bar' midfield is ludacrus imo. the real problem we face is full and centre back canidates of substatial ability for the roles. with joe quinn ,scott brady and karol slattery not part of this years panel we perhaps lack experience ( the only way it can be gained is through game time). so the names that jump to mind for number 3 and 6 would be,;. john maloney,sean pender ( you could but i prefer him in the corner) ross brady,dalton (at 6 even though he was poor their in 2010) ruari allen, matt mitchell,paul mconway,james keane,micheal stanbrook,hanlon from edenderry, i dont know if they are good enough just trying to think of half decent defenders in offalywho with a good training programme could play for offaly. off last years panel the following apparantly not there this year ( i dont know if its the truth or just gossip) niall mac,macmanus,s brady,k slatts,j quinn,t deehan( brutal attitude and not that good 'anymore'). thanks for the effort lads and hopefully we can develop a few new leaders this year