Offaly Hurling Panel 2011 - Thanks

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Offaly Hurling Panel 2011 - Thanks

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

My sincere thanks to the Offaly Hurling Panel of 2011 for your efforts this year.

Despite the disappointing nature of today's defeat, in your efforts you represented yourselves and your county with pride. In the end that is all anyone can ask, and I for one am extremely grateful.

A multitude of factors conspired against you this year - injuries (they were incredible in their extent) and internal factors being chief among them.
Yet, there is much to be taken from the year and the performances. There is huge potential in this group of players. You could be great, really great. With the right help from the County Board and the right new (probably) management, the next few years can be your time. Believe.

Thanks again.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly Hurling Panel 2011 - Thanks

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I'd like to echo this 100%.

Part of me is gutted for the players, another part me is proud of the way they hurled today. At times we dopes to tend to think of ourselves, but, heel of the hunt, it's all about the hurlers.

My sincere thanks to them for their efforts.
GreatDayForTheParish wrote:My sincere thanks to the Offaly Hurling Panel of 2011 for your efforts this year.

Despite the disappointing nature of today's defeat, in your efforts you represented yourselves and your county with pride. In the end that is all anyone can ask, and I for one am extremely grateful.

A multitude of factors conspired against you this year - injuries (they were incredible in their extent) and internal factors being chief among them.
Yet, there is much to be taken from the year and the performances. There is huge potential in this group of players. You could be great, really great. With the right help from the County Board and the right new (probably) management, the next few years can be your time. Believe.

Thanks again.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Part of me is gutted for the players, another part me is proud of the way they hurled today. At times we dopes to tend to think of ourselves, but, heel of the hunt, it's all about the hurlers.
When you see how Hanniffy (remember his goal saving intervention in the first 30 secs?) and Morkan played, it'd break your heart.

Hard to overstate how important the next managerial appointment is. Get it right and the players could have the success they deserve. However, get it wrong and the consequences would be disastrous both for these players and for Offaly hurling.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Very well said POTH and GDFTP, fair play to ye, as a supporter I felt so sorry for the guys today and you could see after the game how defeat had torn their hearts out, they were magnificent with all the obstacles that were threw at them over the last few months. Roll on 2012.

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I'd like to echo this 100%.

Part of me is gutted for the players, another part me is proud of the way they hurled today. At times we dopes to tend to think of ourselves, but, heel of the hunt, it's all about the hurlers.

My sincere thanks to them for their efforts.
GreatDayForTheParish wrote:My sincere thanks to the Offaly Hurling Panel of 2011 for your efforts this year.

Thanks again.
...but Offaly hurled awfully today. Cork were a man down for most of the game (deservedly so) and performing awfully bar the odd player here and there and yet we still were way ahead for large parts of the second half, large parts of which the Offaly players appeared to not give a shit, being given the run around by a pair of OAP's in the O'Connor brothers. The 'comeback' i.e. Dooley's fluke goal hardly masked the fact that only one team was ever going to win when Offaly scoffed their goal chances before half-time.

I mean, a little bit of bloody realism - that was an awful game of hurling played by two very poor teams, the winners being only slightly less inept then the losers.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Turenne, it's all about timing, perspective and showing class in victory or defeat.

Best of luck to the panel for the season to come.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Great effort from Offaly this year. We have some savage hurlers and sometimes we overlook this too easily. For all the factors have been pulling against the players, they came through with honour intact.
Hopefully this current bout of nonsense betwen the Brewery Tap PR machine and the county board is put to bed quickly and we can move on.
We're our own worst enemy at times. Put the right people in charge of the young ones and show them how to hurl th right way and then we'll be feared.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

great effort,they did more than any of us expected this year even tho they might not have won a game.i feel if we had got an easier qualifier draw than cork it would have brought us on a bit more as in terms of getting our injured players back and another game under their belts.pity big joe brady didnt start at full forward he would have gave cork full back line something to think about.with the right manager next year we should aim to win a leinster at least,it should be made sooner rather than later i think keep the lads together as a unit.we know offaly have great hurlers its time now to look after the lads and get the right management, the right facilities and give them the best chance of performing to the higest level.this team will rise again if we all do our bit,the future can be bright,the future can be green,white and gold!!

blue biffo
Junior A
Club: tullamore

Post by blue biffo »

think that might be a little hard on them turenne but can see where he is coming from the game didnt seem to be played at full tilt. The cork fans didnt seem to go home over happy either.Every year we seem to play well in the big games but cant seem to get that win the question is do we deserve it. Also agree we need to get the right man in to take charge and these performances will help us get one the will see the have something to work with.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Thanks to all involved for their efforts this year.

Let's get 'em in 2012.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.