Offaly v Cork, SHC qualifier, 25/6/2011

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Re: Offaly v Cork

Post by Offaly2010 »

puzzled wrote:Rory Hanniffy at corner back(interesting)!
I wonder is Joe thinking of playing Rory at corner back to mark Pat Horgan? Any sign of James Rigney?

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

Offaly2010 wrote:
puzzled wrote:Rory Hanniffy at corner back(interesting)!
I wonder is Joe thinking of playing Rory at corner back to mark Pat Horgan? Any sign of James Rigney?
I'd say that must be the plan or at least just trying it out yesterday to see how Rory would go there if we need to put him on Horgan at some stage!

As far as I know James Rigneys arm is still in plaster for a few more weeks!

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

Playing Galway under 21s the week before a knock out championship game. Now doesnt that say it all about the ambition of the management. Galways seniors cant even beat Dublin, a team we ran extremely close with a lot of players missing, and then what does the genius in charge do, sure lets play their under 21 team...ridiculous

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I would imagine challenge matches are as much about what can be arranged as anything. It's all about getting a game in, and particularly if you want to try out different options, then there's no harm in it. Of course you should be playing some of the better teams as well.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly v Cork, SHC qualifier, 25/6/2011

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Two changes for the Corkies. Jerry O’Connor replaces Tom Kenny at midfield and Cian McCarthy regains his place, replacing Bill Cooper.

1. Dónal Óg Cusack
2. Stephen McDonnell
3. Eoin Cadogan
4. Brian Murphy
5. John Gardiner
6. William Egan
7. Shane O'Neill
8. Jerry O'Connor
9. Pa Cronin
10. Ben O'Connor
11. Cian McCarthy
12. Niall McCarthy
13. Luke O'Farrell
14. Paudie O'Sullivan
15. Patrick Horgan
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Two changes for the Corkies. Jerry O’Connor replaces Tom Kenny at midfield and Cian McCarthy regains his place, replacing Bill Cooper.

1. Dónal Óg Cusack
2. Stephen McDonnell
3. Eoin Cadogan
4. Brian Murphy
5. John Gardiner
6. William Egan
7. Shane O'Neill
8. Jerry O'Connor
9. Pa Cronin
10. Ben O'Connor
11. Cian McCarthy
12. Niall McCarthy
13. Luke O'Farrell
14. Paudie O'Sullivan
15. Patrick Horgan
As Cork teams go, that's average.
Put them in Wexford jersey's and and people would be hopeful of an Offaly win.

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Two changes for the Corkies. Jerry O’Connor replaces Tom Kenny at midfield and Cian McCarthy regains his place, replacing Bill Cooper.

1. Dónal Óg Cusack
2. Stephen McDonnell
3. Eoin Cadogan
4. Brian Murphy
5. John Gardiner
6. William Egan
7. Shane O'Neill
8. Jerry O'Connor
9. Pa Cronin
10. Ben O'Connor
11. Cian McCarthy
12. Niall McCarthy
13. Luke O'Farrell
14. Paudie O'Sullivan
15. Patrick Horgan
Unfortunate for you then that the Offaly team is, even by your own meagre standards, a bit shite.

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Turenne wrote:

1. Dónal Óg Cusack
2. Stephen McDonnell
3. Eoin Cadogan
4. Brian Murphy
5. John Gardiner
6. William Egan
7. Shane O'Neill
8. Jerry O'Connor
9. Pa Cronin
10. Ben O'Connor
11. Cian McCarthy
12. Niall McCarthy
13. Luke O'Farrell
14. Paudie O'Sullivan
15. Patrick Horgan
Unfortunate for you then that the Offaly team is, even by your own meagre standards, a bit shite.

Ye are a bit shite yourselves boy. Poorest Cork team in years and feck all coming through too. Maybe your own high high standards will have to drop soon.
"Ohhh mamma!"

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Turenne wrote:

1. Dónal Óg Cusack
2. Stephen McDonnell
3. Eoin Cadogan
4. Brian Murphy
5. John Gardiner
6. William Egan
7. Shane O'Neill
8. Jerry O'Connor
9. Pa Cronin
10. Ben O'Connor
11. Cian McCarthy
12. Niall McCarthy
13. Luke O'Farrell
14. Paudie O'Sullivan
15. Patrick Horgan

Unbelievable.
Such a benign statement - that this Cork team is, by ye're standards, average. Nothing more that hasn't been said by Cork supporters all year and still the pathetic, puerile reaction.

Jesus, that comment and your need to say it is actually really, really sad on your part. All we can hope is that you, at least, somehow feel better for it.

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

bula bula wrote:
Turenne wrote:

Ye are a bit shite yourselves boy. Poorest Cork team in years and feck all coming through too. Maybe your own high high standards will have to drop soon.
I agreed its a mediocre team by our own standards - nonetheless we are still well ahead of Offaly, Wexford or whatever other middling team you'd like to bring up. The idea that if that Cork team wore Wexford jerseys Offaly would be expected to win is utterly delusional. Dooley aside there isn't an ounce of class in that Offaly hurling team.

As an aside, we have an excellent U-21 squad/team this year. Decent bit coming through and the above team is - the O'Connors and Donal Og aside - fairly young.

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

Turenne wrote:

Unbelievable.
Such a benign statement - that this Cork team is, by ye're standards, average. Nothing more that hasn't been said by Cork supporters all year and still the pathetic, puerile reaction.

Jesus, that comment and your need to say it is actually really, really sad on your part. All we can hope is that you, at least, somehow feel better for it.
...hopefully the Offaly lads won't be as sensitive and angsty on Saturday as yourself. Keep your moral righteousness and pompousity to yourself - idiotic statements deserve ridicule, and I gave you some.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

This is strange. Not getting into some weird slagging match but just to dissect the above.
Turenne wrote: nonetheless we are still well ahead of Offaly
Your opinion and few would disagree with you. My own feeling would be that properly prepared and with belief, our current strongest 15 would be capable of matching you own. Whats the harm in anyone thinking that?
Turenne wrote:The idea that if that Cork team wore Wexford jerseys Offaly would be expected to win is utterly delusional.
That was never said. I said hopeful. If you disagree fair enough but such a reaction? Was it really necessary to come on an Offaly board, to call our team shite and to denigrate our GAA history, ''our own meagre standards'' as you put them? Really?
Turenne wrote:Dooley aside there isn't an ounce of class in that Offaly hurling team.
Rory Hanniffy? Brian Carroll? Derek Morkan? Dylan Hayden? Joe Bergin? David Franks? David Kenny? Not an ounce at all between them? Ok....
Turenne wrote:As an aside, we have an excellent U-21 squad/team this year. Decent bit coming through and the above team is - the O'Connors and Donal Og aside - fairly young.
Thats nice.

Turenne wrote:..hopefully the Offaly lads won't be as sensitive and angsty on Saturday as yourself.
So I say a Cork team is average by its own standards. You respond by saying our is shite by our own meagre standards. And I'm the sensitive one. Am I missing something?
Turenne wrote:Keep your moral righteousness and pompousity to yourself - idiotic statements deserve ridicule, and I gave you some.
Idiotic statement? That my county may have a right to feel hopeful and nothing more? A benign comment posted on a forum for an Offaly audience. Whats so wrong with that? Do you classify that as idiotic? I mean,its not as if I said we'd definitely hammer you by 30 points. And you gave me what, where?

Look, Turenne if you want to rationally analyse the match then fair enough. But if you cant handle us trying to instill belief in our county while at the same time not praising Cork to the high heavens then perhaps you'd be happier elsewhere.
Anyway, enough of that.

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

Is David Kenny not out injured? With respect, most of the players (Kenny and Dooley aside) you listed wouldn't get on that Cork team - and its a mediocre Cork team. Bergin is possibly one of the most windy hurlers in the country (I half expect him to have some success on Cadogan on Saturday mind) - in general its an Offaly side that gets far through graft and hard work far more then anything else. Hence my comment on 'class'.

I read your comment re: Wexford as insulting and responded in kind - and while my comments on standards etc were harsh they are hardly inaccurate (imo), but it probably wouldn't be proper to get into a discussion on the history of Offaly GAA on an Offaly GAA forum.

Regardless, we'll see how things pan out on Saturday. :wink:

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Have to say I thought Turenne was highly insulting with his own comments. Their is an air of Cork being all high and mighty in everything you say. Fair enough, no harm in being so confident about your county.

All GDFTP was saying and its quiet true is that if it was that team lining out for Wexford against Offaly there wouldnt be the same fear factor. Cork has a huge county to pick from and a tradition of producing good teams and are always expected by the experts to reach an All Ireland semi or final. Wexford or Offaly would rarely ever be mentioned in the same way. I see nothing wrong with GDFTP comment.

Offaly's only hope on Saturday is to get out there and not fear the opposition. A Tipp man said to me yesterday that if the game was at a neutral venue, Offaly would have a very good chance, but since its in Cork, they have not got a hope. This is the mindset I am sure a number of Offaly players and management have.

Personally I think our squad is too light on quality, no strenght in depth. Cork will prevail with a bit to spare. In Rory Hanniffy and David Franks, Offaly have two of the finest hurlers in the country. Pity both are injured.

Its an ok Cork team, they are on a high now and confidence will not be lacking. One interesting thing and I expect this to be the case. Cadogan, a real trouble maker. I fully expect him to be digging at Bergin and Dooley to onsettle them. I hope the Ref is tuned into how Cadogan plays the game.

flairgun
Junior A

Post by flairgun »

That was a typically over-sensitive response from a Corkonian I have to say.
The idea that the same players in Wexford jerseys would instill less fear in the Offaly camp is surely a nod to Cork's proud history and the mental block that can place on the opposition, but it wouldn't be like a Corkman to not find slight wherever he can.
Do you think you'll be able to take the chip off your shoulder for the match so that the spectators behind you might have a chance to see the pitch, Turenne?

Long John, I hate to say it, but given this Offaly side's recent poor disciplinary record, it would be practically negligent for any team facing them to not be on the wind-up and try and take advantage of any reaction.