CORK V OFFALY 13/02/2011.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Turenne
Junior A

Re: CORK V OFFALY 13/02/2011.

Post by Turenne »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
Turenne wrote: On top of that we played a very different and predictable style of hurling, i.e. dirrect long ball on top of the square. The team picked on Sunday will at least try and play a shorter, more measured game.
On the style issue. As I've said with Kerry and Donaghy and it applies to Aisaike or Cussen and Cork. Once team starts the gimmick of launching everything long and high, the intelligence starts to ebb out of their play. When it suddenly stops working, players' ability to pick out the right ball, or take up a good position has gone rusty.

Regardless of personnel though, I think Cork's lack of top notch forwards will be their biggest weakness this year. The likes of Joe Deane and Corcoran (probably tipped it for Cork in 04 and 05) just haven't been adequately replaced.

I don't think Offaly see this as a winnable game and already have an eye on the relegation matches later on.
Can't disagree with any of this really. Having a big strong option isn't a bad thing but it can't be the complete focus of the attack like it was for us, the whole attacking strategy becomes predictable and obvious.Quick and accurate to all inside forwards is the way to go - however its a line in which we are currently pretty short, bar Horgan who is by far and away the best inside forward in Cork club hurling. We actually have some good young half-forwards coming through, like Cian McCarthy, Dean Brosnan and in particular Conor Lehane (remember the name) and in general there are quite a few good hurlers out there right now, but I doubt the current management know how to use the talent at its disposal.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

I thought offalys best play last week came from good ball down the wings. The goal was a great crossfield pass by Stephen wynne. I thought the physically stronger men like bergin was good to get his hand on the ball but unlike in a football match, support was slow to arrive for him to throw it around too. It resulted in good quick ball down the middle being wasted a little especially with an extra man covering. Hopefully for Offaly Shane Dooley has a big game from frees and play. When he is quiet others often don't step unto the plate in scoring terms. Is Dylan Hayden out or in? I thought halfback line was weak the last day, mainly on the wings.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Cork 1-20 Offaly 1-15

It was Cork by 1 at half time 1-12 to 1-11. Not one of the 2nd half blowouts we've come to hate over the last few years but at the same time 4 points in the 2nd half isn't enough. Still 5 points is no disgrace and hopefully at home next week they can give Galway a game. Galway blew Wexford away by 20 odd today.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Don't stop there! Who hurled well?
bracknaghboy wrote:Cork 1-20 Offaly 1-15

It was Cork by 1 at half time 1-12 to 1-11. Not one of the 2nd half blowouts we've come to hate over the last few years but at the same time 4 points in the 2nd half isn't enough. Still 5 points is no disgrace and hopefully at home next week they can give Galway a game. Galway blew Wexford away by 20 odd today.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Respectable performance today, even more so considering the depleted first 15 that took to the field. Four points in a second half won't suffice come summer but today was a great experience from some of the new players. Roll on next week.

Not entirely unexpected though. The predictions of obliteration from some quarters never quite settled with me. I refer interested parties to the paddypower site. Therein, Cork lie joint fourth favourites (with Waterford) for SHC 2011 at 16/1 while Galway lie third at 8/1. Now remembering those objective rankings, how both Waterford and Galway turned over Cork in important games last year and the Galway/Offaly games, then clearly the level of 'respect' shown to Cork both on and off this site this week by Offaly supporters was unjustified. Consider it thus, were Offaly to have traveled today to Waterford or Galway would the same negativity have surrounded those games?

What matter that 'it's Cork' or what they did 7/6 years ago, neither their recent achievements or their current panel are anything to fear. Look at the opposition objectively and forget the inferiority complex.

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

Not quite sure why you think it was a 'respectable' performance, the second half display was horrible, Cork only marginally better. Consider how bad we were that was a game Offaly could have pushed right to the wire if yer team actually tried for more then half of the game.

Anyway, report here from a Cork perspective but there is some words on some Offaly players.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:Now remembering those objective rankings, how both Waterford and Galway turned over Cork in important games last year and the Galway/Offaly games, then clearly the level of 'respect' shown to Cork both on and off this site this week by Offaly supporters was unjustified. Consider it thus, were Offaly to have traveled today to Waterford or Galway would the same negativity have surrounded those games?

What matter that 'it's Cork' or what they did 7/6 years ago, neither their recent achievements or their current panel are anything to fear. Look at the opposition objectively and forget the inferiority complex.
Yep, you are right, but lets face it, nothing we say on the INTERNET is going to change it.

A lot of the time lads are mentally playing the jersey colour and not the occupants. Last year all the talk was of Offaly "never fearing Galway" (implying we fear others).

Would Offaly have reeled in a 10 point deficit against Cork, or snatched an unlikely draw with 14 men? All because a couple of hurling generations ago, men wearing Offaly jersies had Galway spooked.

Turn it around to Carlow last week. Lads were adamant we should never be losing to a county like Carlow. Instead they should have been asking, what entitles Offaly to beat a county that has been working hard at underage for a few years now.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

An early candidate for ‘save of the year’ by Dempsey. The shot deflected, falling backwards, he still managed to get the hurl to the ball and deflect it over the bar. Breathtaking;

He appeared to be caught for the goal, though the sun was directly in his eyeline as the Corkman lined up the shot;

Some hit by Mahon on Murphy (I think);

Bergin in full flow is a marvellous sight – he played some lovely stickpasses to colleagues in space. He’s ideally suited to 11;

In fact, Offaly played some fine combination play. The striking seemed sharp;

Carroll’s one-sidedness cost him a goal at the right-hand end.

Of course the highlights don’t show the full picture. Still, they’ve Galway next Sunday. Bring ‘em on!!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Turenne wrote:Not quite sure why you think it was a 'respectable' performance, the second half display was horrible, Cork only marginally better. Consider how bad we were that was a game Offaly could have pushed right to the wire if yer team actually tried for more then half of the game.

Anyway, report here from a Cork perspective but there is some words on some Offaly players.
Hard to believe issue could be taken with a word as benign as 'respectable' but there you go.
Nobody is raving about the Offaly performance, declaring ourselves as All-Ireland contenders. Chest beating is in short supply here. Look, it was an away league game in the muck of February against a decent opposition with an experimental first 15 and it was lost by 5 points. By taking umbrage with 'respectable' one can only assume you felt the Offaly performance was somehow embarassing, shameful or disgraceful. Utterly wrong, see you in the summer.

Bord na Mona man wrote:Yep, you are right, but lets face it, nothing we say on the INTERNET is going to change it.
Maybe, maybe not. It's as good a place as any to start though. I was blue in the face telling anyone who'd listen last week how Offaly aren't that bad while Cork weren't that good. Anything to that can be done do lift the excessive negativity and the lack of expectation surrounding Offaly hurling is worth trying. By expecting nothing, demanding nothing, then nothing will surely follow. Senior panels aren't isolated things, perceptive to only their own ramblings. They are intimately aware of the mood of their county and many would do well to remember that should they ever find themselves talking to those players.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Going into Pairc ui Chaoimh yesterday if someone had said to me ye will lose by 5 points today I would have taken it but coming out afterwards I was very disappointed we didn't win the damn thing, this was the poorest Cork team I have seen in quite some time and I'm convinced that any other Div 1 team apart from Wexford would have beaten them yesterday. As with last year Offaly matched Cork blow for blow in the first half with the expected second half fade out right on cue similar to 12 months ago also. In my opinion Offaly played out the game to be quite content to keep the scoreline respectable and alot of the lads looked dead on their feet, due I was told afterwards to very heavy training they are currently in the middle of right now which probably explains the heavy legs in the last quarter. In the first half especially Brian Carroll, Joe Bergin, Conor Mahon and Del Morkan in particular were outstanding, I was especially thrilled to see Bergin in such great form, he caught some great ball out of the clouds yesterday and his direct running gave Cork some very anxious moments especially during the first 35 mins, I'm sure if Shane Dooley had buried that chance in the second half with the game in the melting pot it might just have given our lads the energy and belief to go and win this game instead it let Cork off the hook in which they took full advantage to finish the stronger side.
Galway next Sunday are up next and I'm looking forward to it, hopefully a good crowd will come out with the footballlers in action too, for some reason over the years Offaly have never gave a stuff about Galway but there is no point in going down by a point or two and getting claps on the back for playing well in a thriller, it's time our hurlers now stepped up to the plate to win these close encounters and forget about moral victories.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

I m delighted to see that someone else sees how one sided Brian carroll is for a county hurler!

bazza
All Star

Post by bazza »

I m delighted to see that someone else sees how one sided Brian carroll is for a county hurler!
Am I wrong in thinking Brian Carroll scored a point on the run straight off the hurl with his right side against Kilkenny or Laois a few years ago in Portlaoise?

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

That he might have, but he is was one of the ones I refered to in another thread about being so predictable in how he turns to strike.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

I can assure ye Brian Carroll is not one sided. Like every player he may favour one side but he is just as handy and accurate off the right. I would not criticise him. Even under severe pressure sometimes I have seen him get his shot away and take a score. He is a very well respected hurler in all hurling counties. Personally I prefer to see him at 13. Its were he always played his best hurling.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

I know he's a respected hurler and a good man, no dispute. I d agree he's good in the corner rather than wing. But he isn't as comfortable as a lot of intercounty forwards off both sides.