OFFALY V CAVAN 06/02/2011

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Re: OFFALY V CAVAN 06/02/2011

Post by kingscounty »

well a positive attitude and support from the faithful fans is what the footballers need.a win is a win and as long as they can keep playing well and get some results we shouldnt be knocking or putting the boys down.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

Good start for sure.

But its about time we won a game on the road. I think we'll beat Wexford and that'll leave us sitting pretty at the top of the Division. Limerick & Louth after that are 2 massive games. At least one of them has to be won!

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

great win for offaly and more importantly a good solid performance and well worth the win with 6/7 points to spare. it must be put in context though, Cavan were horrendous on the day!!

Mulhall was solid with good kickouts and distribution in general play. Sean pender is a dead cert for championship if he gets enough game time and maturity in his position as he has speed to burn. Scott was also solid and brian darby was excellent in fairness though i still have question marks over his pace when the ground gets harder and the game speeds up. Half backline was pretty solid all through though lonergan gave away a few ball s needlessly but he played well defensively. was really impressed with all three midfielders, coughlan mac and dalton and all were excellent with good distribution and generally did the right thing with the ball.

Offaly overall showed for the ball and passes were made quickly with the ball moved fast. Half forwards all played well and dave egan was in hard luck to be taken off as he is very good at linking things together. inside line did well too and panda looks to have filled out a bit as i was worried about his size. never questioned his ability but he needs to work on his right foot if he wants to make it for the championship as he missed at least another 1 - 1 by wanting to turn back on to his left, but a fantastic debut anyhow. John reynolds come in and got two good scores and will push hard for a start given he was offalys second best forward last year!! cribbin did the right thing taking niall off when the game was over rather than the typical weaker player or new lad. it is great to know that there are at least 7/8 other lads who didnt start the last day that would be expecting/hoping to start in championship. competition for places breeds a good training environment and would benefit the whole group and impact on success. though it remains to be seen if fellas walk away sulking if not picked as has happened with a lot of these lads previously!!

it is the best i have seen offaly play in a long while, though it must be acknowledged that Cavan were pathetic clueless and shambolic when in possession. Wexford will tell us a lot more where we are and will be a much sterner test given their comprehensive win at the weekend. i wouldnt be too disenchanted even if we were beaten the next day as i would be expecting wexford to be in the top two in the division but a good performance to follow on from the Cavan game is a must. I would gladly settle for a mid table finish at tis stage as i feel we are not or wont be ready to compete in div two next year either. its a young team and and a good championship run evenn though the qualifiers would set us up nicely next year to have a right crack at div 3 with a more experienced team with more young lads being blooded. Things looking a little brighter than i had thought, thank god
jimbob

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Yes Jimbob covered it pretty well there.

However I still have real doubts about the full back line and Midfield come serious competition. Lets be realistic, Cavan were pathetic bad.

Pender is doing really well at the moment but why I worry is he because Ive seen him struggle a few times for his club. Ive seen both Lynam from Pullagh, Dunne from Shamrocks and Allen give him a torrid time. I just wonder how he would cope at this level. He is to be fair doing quiet well at the moment and corner back is a position we dont have many options.

Midfield is such an important area. All 3 lads did well last weekend. Realistically I see Mac as they guaranteed starter there. Hes not a half forward, midfield is his spot. The other two lads did well the last day but im hoping to see some consistency from them in the league.

David Egan has nice skills alright and links quiet well. Hes played alot of college football at 11 with AIT and hes doing ok. Id see him as a panelist more than a starter.
Guilfoyle, we all know his ability, he needs to be able to give the ball quicker though and have better vision to pick out the inside men. When it comes to championship football at this level he will come up against defences that he wont be able to run at every time, I know hes young but he has to develop a better football brain and use the ball better.

Anton like we saw with Rhode brings alot of trouble on him. He is another player that trys take on the defence too many times when it just isnt on. It goes back to the footballing brain side of things.
Allen had a good first day out. He needs to be looked after, he is very small for this level and I mean height wise, forget about filling out or whatever, he cant grow upward. For him to be a success, he needs quick perfect low ball and he got it Sunday. Thats why Midfield is vital.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Cavan put up a brave display against Tyrone in McKENNA cup semi-final losing out by 3 points, 2-11 to 14 points, Seanie Johnston scoring 9 points, 3 from play. Cavan had a man sent off early in the second half, and Tyrone scored 2 quick goals afterwards to win match, maybe Cavan were not as bad as we thought?
Be careful out their