Offaly team for NUIG walsh cup - 15/01/2011

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Offaly team for NUIG walsh cup - 15/01/2011

Post by townman »

1. Eoin Kelly (LUSMAGH)
2. Brian Mulrooney (seir kierans)
3. Peter Healion (k/k)
4. Kevin Waters (tullamore)
5. Mick Verney (Birr)
6. Colin Egan (Belmont)
7. Kevin Brady (Coolderry)
8. Shane Kelly (tullamore)
9. Micheal Cordial (Shirone)
10.Paul Birimingham (lusmagh)
11. Stephen Wynne (St,Rynaghs)
12. Gary Conneely (St.Rynaghs)
13. Thomas Carroll (seir kierans)
14. Ger Healion (K/K)
15. Kevin Connolly (Coolderry)
BENCH
16. james Dempsey (goalie) kinnitty)
17. Stephen Egan (tullamore)
18 Dylan Hayden (Birr)
19.Conor Mahon (k/k)
20.Shane Dooley (tullamore)
21. Joe Bergin (seir kierans)
22. Rory Hanniffy (Birr)
23. Cathal Parlon (Coolderry)
24.James Rigney (kinnitty)
25. Daniel Currams ( k/k)

not a bad side see we left the big guns on the bench Stephen Wynne centre forward is a suprise hope Thomas Carroll does well
there plenty of hurling in him its just getting it out of him is the problem. Colin Egan and Kevin Waters and Mulrooney are new comers in the back's
as is Kevin Connolly Gary Conneely and Paul Birmingham in attack, the Diggy Cordial is also worth a run again looking forward to it UP OFFALY.

townblue
Junior A
Club: birr

Re: Offaly team for NUIG walsh cup

Post by townblue »

team today should do ok . good to see waters involved he is fast and might be a option in the corner ,,and hopefully cordial and kelly are given a few games to get used to each others game

pedro
Junior B

Post by pedro »

Really baffled by that team. I sincerely hope that is not the second best team we have in the county. Some lads on that team are way out of their depth.
waters may be fast but jesus he barely made the Tullamore team at half forward and now Dooley sees him as potentially a great corner back. He is miles off a county player.

The one good thing I will say is its great to see Diggy Cordial in there. He has the hurling and if they can get him focused he'll be a great addition.

Very disapointed not to see Jimmy Conway, Benny Dagg, Cathal Horan and Stephen Molloy. Those 4 players are head and shoulders above whats on that team.

I know I probably sound very critical and all that but Ive seen all these lads in this team play for their clubs and they dont even stand out at that grade.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

pedro wrote:Really baffled by that team. I sincerely hope that is not the second best team we have in the county. Some lads on that team are way out of their depth.
waters may be fast but jesus he barely made the Tullamore team at half forward and now Dooley sees him as potentially a great corner back. He is miles off a county player.

The one good thing I will say is its great to see Diggy Cordial in there. He has the hurling and if they can get him focused he'll be a great addition.

Very disapointed not to see Jimmy Conway, Benny Dagg, Cathal Horan and Stephen Molloy. Those 4 players are head and shoulders above whats on that team.

I know I probably sound very critical and all that but Ive seen all these lads in this team play for their clubs and they dont even stand out at that grade.
Offaly 1-10 UUIG 0-22

Pedro your a little bit hard on young waters from tullamore he is only out of minor and in case you haven't seen him hurl underage he is a back
and i can tell you one thing he was streets ahead of Kevin Brady, and Mick Verney today who were brutal i though verney was the cause of about 4 points.

we were out hurl in midfield even doe Diggy cordial got 1-4, 1-3 was from frees he needs a big strong hurler with him in midfield Shane kelly wasn't at the races
Gary Conneely got 2 good points and was doing well god knows why joe dooley took him off kevin connolly also got on the score sheet and was took off which was unfair
as well because he won most of the ball that came his way and won a few frees.

Ger Healion done well went he came out to centre forward but miss a few easy points in the first half, tommy carroll and Paul Berimgham never felt the weigh of the ball
when they were on, i know its only the walsh cup but it would have been nice to have won today as we would have had a chance to play kilkenny next sunday
just a last word Colin Egan had a good game at centre back today.

Pedro as for saying players like jimmy conway,stephen molloy, and Benny Dagg not getting a run
the two horans were in front of me at the match maybe they don't want to hurl as for stephen Molloy don't think he
is inter county player Cathal Horan has been there before as well and didn't make it.

pedro
Junior B

Post by pedro »

Townman I know I may have come across as very critical and hard on that team but I am not criticising the players for not being good enough, I am criticising the management for picking these lads. They are not good enough. Mulrooney, Waters, Healions, Birmingham,and Wynne are not up to it at all. Crazy picking these lads.

Regarding Waters, yes he is young and all that but he's not up to senior intercounty hurling, not yet anyway and I dont see massive potential but that can change. He barely made the Tullamore team and that says alot. If Ger Tracey was available, I doubt he would have started. I am not picking on the lad but I feel County jerseys are been given out far too easily these days to lads that havent deserved or proven themselves as quality club players.

Now you are right maybe the Horans, Sean Ryan and a few others have not made themselves available but they are far better hurlers that that Mickey mouse team that was on show. 4 or 5 Offaly club teams would have given that Offaly team a going over in my opinion.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

what can you do if the talent isn't there you mention stephen molloy, jimmy conway,Brendan Dagg, they are good club hurlers they are not
inter county hurlers either, the horans and sean ryan were also on teams with the lads you said were mickey mouse hurlers i think Joe Dooley
is doing the best he can we are in the 1 division, if Brian Cody was over us it would still be the same the talent not there.

lets get behind the lads that are hurling and going out there for offaly its easy to support your county when the are winning like the 80's and 90's
and we had great support, so the hurlers are not there now so you say a well fu.k my county wouldn't look at them they are no good but if we were to come
good they are great men again the county is full of supporters like that sunshine supporters they are called. :x

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Sorry pedro you also said that 5 club teams in offaly would beat that offaly side i wouldn't go there
our champions Coolderry couldn't beat the westmeath champions Raharney and your talking about the right players
not been called in where would you start.

pedro
Junior B

Post by pedro »

townman wrote:Sorry pedro you also said that 5 club teams in offaly would beat that offaly side i wouldn't go there
our champions Coolderry couldn't beat the westmeath champions Raharney and your talking about the right players
not been called in where would you start.
Exactly Townman, thats where I am coming from. Coolderry were the best team in the county this year and they took their eye off the ball against Raharney. Both Coolderry and Raharney would beat that Offaly team that was named for Saturday. I have no doubt about that. What does that tell you about the ability of the players on that Offaly team.

I agree with you the talent is not there. The last few minor teams have been an embarassment to be honest about it. In 2000 Offaly produced a very strong minor and u21 team winning Leinster titles. Alot of those players were let rot on the sideline and lose interest after that with the senior side. Now we have county jerseys being given to any tom dick or harry. As somebody said on another thread, there is no prestige in the Offaly jersey anymore.

Now dont give me this rubbish that id support them when their winning and disown them when their down, thats far from the truth, id be a very proud offaly man. And thats why it sickens me to see county jerseys been given to such poor hurlers who havent even produced the goods on the club stage. The day of earning your place seems to be long gone.

The guys I named have at least been very consistent for their clubs unlike some of Saturdays team. I think its very unfair and hard to take for some players when they see players like this getting a run ahead of them.

andy
Junior C

Post by andy »

Pedro you know nothing about it.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I wasn’t there on Saturday but I just want to make a few general points.

It’s always difficult when fifteen who never played together before are faced by a team of fifteen, as UCG are in this instance. Remember the Offaly lads wouldn’t have much hurling done either, while the College are about to defend the Fitzgibbon Cup they won last year. Is it right that a county like Offaly with no hurling done should face a college approaching their peak? Offaly might have been better served playing a county team such as Carlow, Laois or Galway.

It’s also difficult for a team playing an Offaly style playing a team who hurl a more modern style. Traditionally Offaly teams don’t get on well against Clare teams with their physical style either, and that UCG side would be brimful of Claremen.

Much debate about the team that was fielded by Offaly which I won’t get into. I do find though that, at this time of year the fellas who impress most are the fellas who are anxious to impress; the ‘established’ fellas tend not to produce the goods at this stage – they’re going to be there in may anyway and they know the team will be picked on form. No-one is going to shed too many tears about the Walsh Cup anyway.

It was a filthy day locally with wind and rain, and was not a day for hurling at all. I’ve said it before, no-one should be hurling at this time of year. Some will get another chance, hopefully on a fine day, while some won’t. That’s the way it goes.

I heard part or an interview with Joe Dooley on the radio. He threw some doubt on his side’s participation in the Shield next weekend, citing a challenge match they plan to arrange. Seems they have Limerick lined up for the weekend after. Hmmm.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

backofthenet
All Star

Re: Offaly team for NUIG walsh cup - 15/01/2011

Post by backofthenet »

I think there will only be 2 of that team near the offaly team come championship, Kevin Brady & Diggy Cordial.

As I have said before Offaly tend to discard players at the ripe old age of 24-25 if they dont make it. We all know this is a load of bollocks but still we continue it.

Kevin Waters is only what 18 or 19?? Couldnt make the tullamore team until the semi final and at that they got beaten fairly comprehensively in the final. Shane Kelly is another example. In the final the Coolderry midfielders were well on top, and came out on top most days this year in the championship, Kevin Teehan has never got called into the county set up despite being on the Coolderry team regularly for the last 7/8 years winning 2 championships, Martin Corcoran was last in with Offaly probably 5-6 years ago and both came out on top of the tullamore partnership that day.

Im sure that there are other clubs who have players like these im only speaking of my own club as I know the games and players better. While these may not be starters for offaly, they will at least push harder for their place than some 18 or 19 year old who might not make the offaly under 21 team...ridiculous stuff. Im not having a cut at him specifically more at the way offaly run things, it is completely arseways.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Challenge match v Limerick - 29/01/2011

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Joe Dooley’s aim to restore St Brendan’s Park as an inter-county hurling venue took a step forward when the ground hosted a challenge match against Limerick earlier today. The pitch was actually in good order for January. The new terrace on the road side is not yet open and they are in the process of constructing a terrace behind the town goal. As for the stand, last summers birdshite remains on the seating and a dead crow is unsightly and needs to be given a decent burial.

Offaly fielded what appears to be their strongest possible side; an indication that the side to hurl UCD tomorrow will be broadly similar to that which took on UCG a fortnight ago. Only 2 subs were introduced by Offaly during the first 2 periods though they emptied the bench during the third third. Limerick, on the other hand, made changes throughout the match. Damien Reale, Stephen Lucey & Niall Moran all saw action at different stages.

The difference in approach was clear – the Limerick subs engaged in an organised warm-up while the match progressed while their Offaly counterparts chatted. Limerick videod the match. No sign of Dónal O’Grady though, and Ciarán Carey only made an appearance at two-thirds time.

Best for Offaly was Derek Morkan who did well in the air in the first third, though Limerick avoided him during the remaining two-thirds. Shane Dooley’s touch looked sharp too. Both goalkeepers tended puck the ball out too far which led to crowding. With Paul Cleary, David Kenny & James Rigney all missing, Kevin Brady started at centre-back with Rory Hanniffy at 5. Midway through, Dylan Hayden came on at 5 with Rory moving to the centre. Neither dominated in the style of a traditional centre-back. Too many forwards made little headway and were behind their men. Other than that is was just another pedestrian challenge match.

I make the score 4-24 to 1-18 at the end, though that may be out by a point or two. I’ve a feeling Limerick scored another goal too. The match was played in three 25-minute segments, Limerick leading 0-8 to 0-5 at third-time, while 2 quickfire goals at the beginning of the second third saw them lead 3-15 to 0-13 at the end of the second third.

Offaly lined out: James Dempsey; Brian Mulrooney, Peter Healion, Stephen Egan; Rory Hanniffy, Kevin Brady, Derek Morkan; Conor Mahon, Shane Kelly (0-1); Cathal Parlon (0-2), Daniel Currams, Stephen Wynne (0-1); Brian Carroll, Joseph Bergin, Shane Dooley (0-11, 0-9f, 0-1 65).
Subs: James Mulrooney for Wynne (who sustained a hand injury), Dylan Hayden for Brady. Among the changes for the third third were: Eoin Kelly for Dempsey, Michael Verney for Egan, Michael Cordial for S Kelly, Paul Birmingham (0-1) for Parlon, Kevin Connolly for Carroll, Gary Conneely (1-0) for Mahon, Tom Carroll (0-1) for J Mulrooney. There was at least one other, Joseph Bergin also being withdrawn at two-thirds time.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Offaly outclass students
Offaly 0-23
UCD 0-12

Monday January 31 2011

Offaly booked a date with Carlow in the Walsh Shield final as they dished out an 11-point drubbing to UCD in Banagher yesterday.

The Faithful County held a three-point advantage at half time but stepped it up a gear in the second half and pulled away with Shane Dooley and newcomer Thomas Carroll to the fore. Limerick man Conor Allis was UCD's biggest threat but with the likes of Cathal Parlon and Joe Bergin influential, Offaly's class rose to the top and sent UCD packing.

James Rigney was outstanding at full-back for the victors as Joe Dooley's charges hit an impressive haul of 23 points, 14 from play.

UCD will now turn their attention to the Fitzgibbon Cup where they will have Tipperary ace Noel McGrath available again.

Offaly manager Dooley will be hoping a number of key players will return from injury to play some part in the National League, as they travel to Cork for the opening round on February 13.

Scorers -- Offaly: S Dooley 0-9 (6f, 1 '65'), B Carroll 0-4 (2f), T Carroll, C Parlon 0-3 each, J Bergin 0-2, D Hayden, D Currams 0-1 each. UCD: K Hogan 0-5 (3f), C Allis 0-4 (2f), C McBride, D O'Connor, O Gough, 0-1 each.

Offaly -- J Dempsey; B Mulrooney, J Rigney, S Egan; D Hayden, P Healion, D Morkan; C Parlon, C Mahon; D Curram, J Bergin, T Carroll; B Carroll, S Dooley, J Mulrooney. Subs: K Connolly for Mulrooney (h-t), M Verney for Egan (h-t), M Cordial for Currams (51), P Bermingham for Dooley (59), K Brady for Morkan (62).

UCD -- J Ryan; J Doyle, S Cummins, O Gough; W Devereux, J O'Loughlin, S Norton; B O'Shea, D Fox; C Allis, K Hogan, C McBride; D O'Connor, W Walsh, E MacSuibhne. Subs: C Brennan for (h-t), K O'Loughlin for (h-t), F Hannon for Fox (h-t), J Foley for Walsh (h-t), B Phelan for O'Loughlin (45), D Fox for F Hannon (47), M O'Sullivan for J Ryan (59).

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

These games at this time of year have a real kick around the school yard feel to them – suitably summarised in POTH opening paragraph …

I’m a fan of James Rigney but couldnt see him at 3 come the white heat of July..

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

durra1 wrote:These games at this time of year have a real kick around the school yard feel to them – suitably summarised in POTH opening paragraph …

I’m a fan of James Rigney but couldnt see him at 3 come the white heat of July..
He's a little too small for 3 I have to agree. But I think he should be hurled in corner for the league and give him a chance to make the role his own. For me, 2 or 4 are his best positions.

What is the story with David Franks. Is he available for selection? He would be a huge loss at corner back if he is not available.