Shefflin out

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
turk
All Star

Re: Shefflin out

Post by turk »

Excellent stuff Leinsterman. In comparison to a certain other county, I wouldn't regard any of the Kilkenny panel as being media whores. Shefflin is a big blow indeed but both player and panel will work on with minimum fuss.

Efan
Senior

Post by Efan »

None of the KK players are media whores because Cody simply will not let any of them do media work. Immediately after the All Ireland and at the All Stars tend to be the only time each year that you hear/see most of those guys being interviewed. All part of Codys methodology of management … pure hurling, his way no distractions. It was sort of what Donal Óg was getting at with those book comments that were dragged up again last week.

Incidentally Cody himself is very giving of his time off the field to clubs taking sessions, this is done without looking for financial reimbursement.

The meeja looke a simple headline that they can feed to people ... the "King Henry" line is one of these creations. As mentioned earlier his work rate and his ability to demand the same level of commitment from those around him is a key attribute of his which has a knock on effect on the team. It could easily cost them 7-10 points on the day not having him … if KK play a bit below par like they did in last years All Ireland then it would be a problem. If they play right up to the maximum of their powers (like they did in 08) then they might only win by 10 and not 17!!
Efan :)

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

black and red exile wrote:Well DD I don't really give a toss what nobodys like you think, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. The one thing I've noticed on this site is that if anybody goes against the grain and has a different opinion to the knowalls they are torn asunder. TOUGH, the one thing we still have free in this rat hole of a country is free speech.
That's not going againt the grain - it's just a completely incorrect statement as articulated far better than I could by Leinsterman, BNM, Turk and Efan.

Yours etc
Mr Nobody

bluemoon
Junior B

Post by bluemoon »

DD wrote:
black and red exile wrote:We better hope Tipp win next Sunday if we want to see any sort of a match on all Ireland day. As for Mr Media, good riddance to the David Beckham of hurling even though we will have to listen to crap about ''King Henry'' missing out on a historic day from TV and written media swooning about him like love struck puppies :x
Jasus..you're a bitter f*cker
Not to mention a stupid one !!!!

My Left Foot
Senior

Post by My Left Foot »

lads we shouldn't be fighting amongst ourselves - we should be united against the common enemy - Tipp

I'd rather see Kilkenny win 10 in a row than Tipp win 1 more all ireland.

Its also time to focus on our teams from underage upwards to try to topple Kilkenny - it will take a period of time to do so but it is acheivable with foresight, planning and organisation over a period of time. If Dublin can do it at underage then so can we again.

County Board - sort it out - its your responsibility.

Uibh Fhaili abu

Superted
Intermediate

Post by Superted »

Here Here!!! There a woeful race of people! any respect i had for them went out the window after what I heard in Portlaoise this year!

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

They are no worse than any other county, I met a Kilkenny hurling nut this morning who told me that most KK people are bored winning all around them at this stage, how I didn't vomit on him I don't know and as for these Lillywhites :x

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Lads, there are genuine GAA people, who have they're heads screwed on, have grown up in and around the game and who know the score.

When teams get successful you have the spanners that jump on the bandwagon and start making all sorts of ridiculous statements that have no basis in reality and that those genuine GAA people would squirm at.

Then when things go wrong those same people are the ones abusing this and that lad, once again without having any knowledge.

I work down in KK and to be honest, what sickens me most about them is the quiet smugness, they don't even go on about it, they know they don't have to. If I met someone that told they were bored of winning I'd actually just say fair enough and walk away.

What I have noticed is that they just don't get as excited about it, which is completely understandable I suppose. But as far as I'm concerned they are the greatest sports team I've ever scene and they deserve to hold that mantle outright, with their 5 in a row. After that I'll be hoping they get hammered every game them play!

But for now, Cody and his players know what they have and they also know it's not forever, they'll write the book when it'll over. Not before.
The night is darkest before the dawn

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

leinsterman wrote:i am living down here in kilkenny the last few years and they are hell bent to win five in a row or maybe six or seven
with the talent thats coming on the line here in kilkenny its scary.

as for shefflin sorry to see him miss the final a fine and fair hurler one of the best ever but down here in catland
the one hurler they wanted back this year was Noel Hickey and it has showed they have not let in any goals this year so far
as for last year they let in a fair few and JJ also is out where he hurls best in the number 7.

i wish the cats do meet our lovely friends that live next door to us in offaly and hurl the sh.t out of them in the final
i know kilkenny love beating offaly as well but i was born and live in Birr and know what the dark side think of offaly hurling.

as for living in kilkenny this 15 years now i have meet many a kilkenny hurler from the 80s and 90s and they all had nothing but good to
say about our hurlers. meet brian cody last year at the kilkenny under 21 hurling final and he said he would love to see offaly hurling back again
and that leinster and hurling needs a strong offaly team .could you see Babs saying that i hear he said after we beat antrim in extra time that we belong
in the christy ring that was our level. :x
thats it. keep kissing their holes. cody said that did he, now? wasnt that lovely of him?

Getting heartily sick of offaly people pandering to kk as though it was an offaly parish. we never did it before - why are we at it now?

Duignan is nauseating to listen to now.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

look fifitrixiebelle whos talking about licking to kilkenny , i am a Birr and offaly man and it would give we great delight to beat the cats
in any grade of hurling. i live down in kilkenny and have my offaly flag out every year and my Birr flag out when we do well in the leinster club.

as for Brian Cody he is a great hurling man and watches many a match outside his own county, and if you never meet him you shouldn't talk s..t
about him so. as for micheal Duignan what do you want him to say that KK are lucky that they are not a good team he says it as he sees it.

when Duignan was hurling there was no love lost with kk teams . tell you something fifitrixiebelle you sound like the munster crowd now they are
the only ones that are giving out about kilkenny and Duignan.

just one more thing on Brian cody he goes to a lot of underage games in other counties as he sat down to rows in front of me in Birr in 2007
i think it was when offaly under 21s beat wexford the year Dublin beat us in the final. i know Brian cody from games in kilkenny and was also
talking to him at the game between laois and offaly in 2008 and he wasn't at that game just to see would offaly or laois worried them in the next
round his a hurling man and a gentleman sorry for the rant but i hate lads talking s..t about something they don't know about rant over.

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

teachers!

we'll never win much until we get more teachers who are mad about GAA into our local schools
getting kids to play
improving standards

thats why Cody has so much time on his hands
Kilkenny schools recruit any hurler who is trained as a teacher and offer them a job to get them back down there - Cha, R Hogan, P Hogan, R Power
only the best...

drummy
Junior B

Post by drummy »

teachers!

we'll never win much until we get more teachers who are mad about GAA into our local schools
getting kids to play
improving standards

Kilkenny schools recruit any hurler who is trained as a teacher and offer them a job to get them back down there - Cha, R Hogan, P Hogan, R Power

agree. i a have a cousin from kk who recently told me that 3 of kks main prospects are studyin to be primary teachers
breen, kk minor captain 08
canice maher kk minor captain 09
and a duggan boy who is also a major prospect

the cycle continues.

maybe offaly have some lads like aswel, which we just dont hear about

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Just an aside when it comes to the teaching thing, Kilkenny have it sussed when it comes to looking after graduating teachers of their own as well. That's an area where Offaly should do better - if any Kilkenny hurler comes out of teaching college, you can guarantee that no other teacher has a hope of getting a job over him in a Kilkenny school. That mightn't be perfectly fair but it's stupid that Offaly don't play them at their own game.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

manfromdelmonte wrote:teachers!

getting kids to play
improving standards

3 of the above are teachin in dublin, the 4th isnt a teacher at all, hes a car salesman

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Whos a car saleman?
all of them went to St Pats

they'll all be back in kilkenny before long
to join the other kilkenny teachers who got jobs at home straight from college
only the best...