Offaly V Westmeath Challenge

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
interested
Junior C

Post by interested »

Having watched this match in O'Connor Park on Saturday Morning last, I am certain that if the Offaly management select the right team Offaly will still have a say in the destiny of 'Sam'.

Scott Brady was immense at full back, Sean Pender is growing in statue at every game he plays, Sean Ryan was a revelation at wing back (how he is not a definite starter defies all logic), Graham Guilfoyle worked like a dog all day and Anton Sullivan's true home is coming forward.

Brian Darby still looks severely hampered by his injury and Niall isn't a wing back. John Coughlan needed this game to get back to championship pace and Brian Connor is a mid-fielder out and out.

Niall McNamee looks hungry again, playing with a bit of belief and Ken is his natural partner up front.

Why we had much chopping and changing after the Meath game is hard to figure out considering that only for John Coughlan was sent off, I believe the match was still there for Offaly and look at what Meath have achieved since!!

We can beat Waterford on Saturday and when we do Offaly need fear no-one in the qualifiers.

We have the players and provided the Management get the right players - not necessarily the best so called footballers- its upwards and onwards :D .

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Re: Offaly V Westmeath Challenge

Post by Offaly2010 »

Anyone know the final score from this match and the starting 15?

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

heard there was a bust up on the sideline between Pat Flanagan and the two bradys. Any one here anything on this?
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Yes there was a few words alright. Its not the first time this year Flanagan has been slinging muck at players from the line and on the field. He didnt get put on his arse this time tho.

Getting back to footballing matters, Offaly are still struggling to get a decent defensive structure. This has to be the foundation and build from there. Theres plenty of quality attackers in the county but defence is attrocious currently.

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

Regarding defence - interesting to hear that Sean Ryan was tried at half back. His pace would be exciting in carrying the ball from deep or coming up on the overlap. Sean Ryan and Karol Slattery would give us a very pacey wing back duo.

This is a trademark Tom Cribbin move - he converted Tom Kelly of Laois to half back from a forward position and Kelly blossomed in the new position.

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

I have said this for a while now about Sean Ryan, he has all the attributes to make a good half back. Despite his sixe he has a great spring off the ground and attacks the ball. If its a trademark of Cribbens then it must have been "pending patent" in Offaly!

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

what was the score in this match??????????????????????????????????????????????????
Be careful out their

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Depending on your counting, either Offaly 0-14 to Westmeath 2-8, or 0-14 to 2-7. I had it as the former, but I think the ref might have had it as a draw.

Last score of the game was a Westmeath goal though after both benches had been emptied and the game had lost shape. Generally Offaly had the better of the match - though on the other side of the ledger, Westmeath didn't start Glennon, Dolan, Flanagan or Duffy while Offaly were closer to full strength.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

interested wrote:Offaly V Westmeath Challenge
Having watched this match in O'Connor Park on Saturday Morning last, I am certain that if the Offaly management select the right team Offaly will still have a say in the destiny of 'Sam'.
Not meaning to be disrespectful, but that's delusional.

Also, "We can beat Waterford on Saturday and when we do Offaly need fear no-one in the qualifiers." Offaly have had pox luck in drawing Clare & Waterford so far,..do you honestly think they don't fear Dublin / Kildare / Galway / Down / Derry etc. Offalt WILL beat Waterford I have no doubt and will hope for the kindest possible draw in the next round, and maybe sneak a win there, bur that will be that my friends, and we should be happy because that will be a huge improvement over recent years.
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

My Left Foot
Senior

Post by My Left Foot »

definitely a glass half full person ! :D

Be under no illusion that every other county in the draw would still want to get us even if we won well on Saturday.

We're just not good enough yet but are getting young players onto the panel and some of them are stepping up to take the opportunities being given to them.