worst pitch in offaly

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ballinamereman1
County player

Re: worst pitch in offaly

Post by ballinamereman1 »

[quote][True Red wrote:

Mucklagh was very poor as well when we played Ferbane there recently.It holds a lot of water and the slope doesnt do either team any favours.

I'm no landscaper but that slope must be ten feet /quote]
ah i wouldnt say that true red.. i quite like the surface in mucklagh and i can say the top soil is pretty decent when comes to soakage.. id rate it in the top 5 in the county..
top 5:
5. birr
4 ballinamere
3 rath
2 mucklagh
1 tubber.

note without the exception of o connor..

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Are you for real? Even the Birr lads wouldn't claim the Birr pitch to be the best in the county, or anywhere near it. Ever spend a Sunday morning after a night of torrential rain with your ear glued to the radio waiting for confirmation that that day's league match has been moved to Tullamore? And Ballinamere's pitch is in a quarry. It's ironic that they're sponsored by a concrete company. :D

You need to get out more. Really!
ballinamereman1 wrote: id rate it in the top 5 in the county..
top 5:
5. birr
4 ballinamere
3 rath
2 mucklagh
1 tubber.

Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ballinamereman1
County player

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Are you for real? Even the Birr lads wouldn't claim the Birr pitch to be the best in the county, or anywhere near it. Ever spend a Sunday morning after a night of torrential rain with your ear glued to the radio waiting for confirmation that that day's league match has been moved to Tullamore? And Ballinamere's pitch is in a quarry. It's ironic that they're sponsored by a concrete company. :D

top 5:
5. birr
4 ballinamere
3 rath
2 mucklagh
1 tubber.

did i rate it as the top?? no i didnt.. tell me your top 5.. birr i feel is better than the likes of clareen and lusmagh..
on a summers day birr has some playing surface..

esb_lad
Junior A
Club: Rynaghs

Post by esb_lad »

Archangel wrote:I remember a few years back playing a football match in Lusmagh. That pitch was immaculate. Top notch.
what a load of codswallop.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: cloghan field grand on a summers day when the sun is beaming down from the bright blue sky.. 8)

ballinamereman1
County player

esb_lad wrote:
Archangel wrote:I remember a few years back playing a football match in Lusmagh. That pitch was immaculate. Top notch.
what a load of codswallop.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: cloghan field grand on a summers day when the sun is beaming down from the bright blue sky.. 8)

yeah but more importantly whats it like on a wet winters day???
although rahan has come in for some slack on forums here before I can guarntee ye this that youd have to travel far to see a better field for soakage.. on a summers day it can hold its own with the best aswell.. and just look at the scenary there sheep and mooo cows beside you.. you wouldnt see that in birr or cloghan for that matter... :D :D :D

that will do donkey
Junior C

Post by that will do donkey »

I am a hurler so forgive me for not mentioning North offaly fields because I wouldnt have much experience on them..
I have heard that Birr were having some problems with some sand blinding that was put it cheap under the surface which wasnt letting water thru easily and I am not sure if they have that sorted yet.. but it is a nice surface when dry.
Banagher is also nice but I remember the last time I hurled there they must have put a whole beach full of sand on it and would cut the knees off you!!
Lusmagh is a great field as long as they dont abuse it too much during the spring, its level, wide, long and great to take water, I think last year the first round was moved from Rath to lusmagh and it was fine even after a double header in awful conditions.
On mentioning Rath its a great field too but maybe they could do with re-draining it or thats if they ever did but its beautiful in summer but 1 problem is that it faces east to west so the sun shines into 1 teams face in an evening game.
Oconnor Park is good too
and havent played there often but I think doon is a reasonable pitch.

Some that I dont like for size, grass length and boggyness(if thats a word)
are, Kilcormac(too boggy), Kinnity(high field gets too hard)(low field is boggy) but maybe they can get a happy medium by playing high field in wet weather and low in dry weather...
Coolderry(just dont like it), Moystown(too boggy and needs new grass)..

And a few in between that are neither bad nor great, Shinrone, Clareen, ballyskenagh(small slope but not bad surface), shamrocks(good surface but a small bit short) and not sure if its carrig or riverstown!!

So my top 5(hurling) in no order are
Banagher
Rath
Lusmagh
Oconnor
Birr

Worst in no order either
Moystown
Kilcormac
Kinnity
Crinkle
Mount bolus

This is only my opinion so dont take it to heart if I have insulted your pitch lads!!!!

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Have to throw in my 2 cents for our pitch. Can take buket loads of rain and still be very playable.
The night is darkest before the dawn

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Jayz, Moystown as one of the worst? Birr used it to sharpen their hurling after Xmas in the glory days before the club semis. And Mountbolus?
Both of these are fine pitches, especially Moystown, surely a wind up? I have played their a few times and tis one of the best in the county.

blue+yellow
Junior B

Post by blue+yellow »

i think shannonbridge has to be one of the best pitchs in offaly..
its probably the biggest anyway and the surface is always in great shape

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It only dawned on me Saturday night as we reminisced on matches in the past, a clear winner of the best pitch in the county emerged.

I don't know why I didn't think of it before now. It was, of course, the Brothers' pitch behind the County Arms. That was always in immaculate condition, the grass always the right length, and to us as kids it was like going to Wembley. Generally only Bord na Scol finals were played there.

Is it still there or is it gone? I know half the hill on the other side is gone anyway!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

lostinjuniora
Intermediate
Club: Ballinagar

Post by lostinjuniora »

without doubt geashill is dangerous take the skin off your knees when weather fine and swallow you into the ground after a bit of rain.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Jez yeah POTH I remember many a great game played in the Brothers field in Birr, used to love playing there... not sure myself if the pitch is still there, heard birr were training around there somewhere.

ballinamereman1
County player

yeah i think that pitch is used for underage games.. like u8s and u10s.....

Monday Manager
Junior C

Post by Monday Manager »

ballinamereman1 wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Are you for real? Even the Birr lads wouldn't claim the Birr pitch to be the best in the county, or anywhere near it. Ever spend a Sunday morning after a night of torrential rain with your ear glued to the radio waiting for confirmation that that day's league match has been moved to Tullamore? And Ballinamere's pitch is in a quarry. It's ironic that they're sponsored by a concrete company. :D

top 5:
5. birr
4 ballinamere
3 rath
2 mucklagh
1 tubber.

did i rate it as the top?? no i didnt.. tell me your top 5.. birr i feel is better than the likes of clareen and lusmagh..
on a summers day birr has some playing surface..
Of course Birr is a great pitch. That's why it hasn't been played on in two years......

tipptopper25
Junior A

Post by tipptopper25 »

it would have to be killavilla or bakyskenach!!!!!!!

is there any decent pitch in offaly????????