sub in the stand

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
the bare biffo
All Star

sub in the stand

Post by the bare biffo »

Someone texted in to Off the ball tonight on Newstalk about a midland county making an announcement over the loudspeakers before a match looking for someone to tog out.

Am I just having a false memory or did this really happen with Offaly in Croke Park with Laz Molloy coming down from the Cusack Stand to tog out ?
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: sub in the stand

Post by Lone Shark »

Against Longford in 1984 if memory serves. I've a vague recollection of hearing the story, which I'm sure has had bits added to it - but basically it was something about Dinny Wynne getting injured in the warm up or in the dressing room, and the call going around based on someone in the dressing room knowing that Laz was at the match.

I think he conceded a few goals in the game but saved a penalty during the match as well. Open to correction on all of this though, it's not exactly taken from an official source.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

It happened. Dinny was having a stinker - he let in 2 or 3 poor goals and Laz replaced him at half-time. I don't recall a penalty save but he did make a couple of good saves and Offaly got the win in the end.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

yes it did happen it was a replay with longford, the offaly hurlers were playing the same day i think again Dublin.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

IF the Leinster Council had decided to run an advertising campaign to encourage complacent Dubs through the Hill 16 turnstiles this afternoon, they might have pointed out that the ordinary rarely occurs when Longford play in Croke Park.

They might mention the name Laz Molloy who, 21 years ago, travelled as a spectator for the replayed Leinster Championship quarter-final between Offaly and Longford, was summoned from the crowd, via the tannoy, to the Offaly dressing-room before the game, came on at half-time when they trailed by five points and went home a folk hero after Offaly turned the game around, thanks to a number of superb saves made by Molloy.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 67779.html

In a recent enough interview Laz said that he had luckily decided not to have a few pre-match pints.
I also think he also happened to have his boots in his car.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

All Correct lads. In fact if I remember I think Dinny decided to throw his hat at it after that incident.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

My recollection of that day is that Martin Furlong was injured and Dinny Wynne was called up. The management decided to call up Laz Molloy as goalkeeping cover on the bench.

After waiting about 6 years for the call-up, Wynne had a howler and Longford got in for 3 soft goals in the first half. Early in the second half we noticed Offaly had a different goalkeeper who turned out to be a Laz Molloy.

Molloy played well and Offaly went on to beat Longford. The media had a field day with headlines about Lazarus returning from the dead etc. Then it turned out his name was Lazarian & not Lazarus! Tuesday’s papers had the story about Molloy’s brother going to retrieve Laz’s boots from their car which was parked on Mountjoy Square.

Does anyone there recall hearing the SOS on the public address? I certainly didn’t hear it at the time though I was there. Younger readers should note that we didn’t have mobile phones in those days!

Offaly were beaten by Dublin a week later with Martin Furlong returning to resume his place in the Offaly goal.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.