Shamrocks Blooming

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
doobane man
County player

Shamrocks Blooming

Post by doobane man »

Anyone at the Shamrocks V Clara game?
I know the vast majority of our northern brethern left before throw-in. The large gates had to be opened such was the deluge and it wasn't just vanquished reds leaving either. Rhode's lack of concern for potential future opponents might not be as well placed as may have appeared early in the year.
Keep a close eye on Shamrocks. Scored 1-15. Conceded just 8 scores again.
Defensively very, very strong. Barry Mooney was exceptional and Conor not far behind. Shane Guinan is becoming a fine full back and Thomas Coughlan continues to develop into Offaly's footballer of the year.
Neville superb at centre-field, giving Ronan the chance to play second fiddle.
Up front some weak links but a couple of gems too. Good free taker, some lovely off the ball running and a few eye-catching scores.
Just need the psychologists now to claim their first Dowling Cup - but that might not be as simple as it appears

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

Yeah it was amazing to see the crowd rush the gates after Edenderry and Rhode finished. It seemed like there were a lot of "Once A Year" supporters who couldn't bear to stay for even a few minutes of Clara and Shamrocks. That Edenderry/Rhode rivalry is some crowd-puller.

Shamrocks look very good and that goal by Thomas Coughlan was special. Did anybody see the paragraph in the Express last Wednesday about Kilmurray talking in glowing terms the following night in Geashill about TC's display in the drawn match with Clara. The Express writer went on to make the mischievious assertion that James Keane and Thomas Coughlan might be taking the place of a former midfield powerhouse. I'm sure Ciaran McManus wouldn't be pleased to see that after getting a favourable "Leave Poor Ciaran Alone" write-up in the Express a few weeks ago.

Can anyone explain why Ronan Mooney seemed to be playing at centre forward rather than midfield. Was he carrying a knock or was it the plan to have the two Coughlans at midfield?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I have a sneaking suspicion the Express might be due a tongue-ectomy operation on their cheek. I wasn't at it last week, but I was at the drawn game - Thomas Coughlan was good, but to say he looked like a county standard player is a big jump. He was named at wing back if memory serves, wasn't kept too busy with his direct opponent, and the one great goal chance he got was blazed wide.

I'm not writing the guy off by any stretch of the imagination, but to say he was at the same level Keane is at for Tullamore is just plain wrong. He didn't perform at under 21 this year for the county, and to suggest that he'd replace Mac is simply lunacy.

He's playing well, and is a nailed on county panellist. He'll get a run with the under 21's again, and might even get a game or two in the league. I'm odds against he starts in the championship first day out though.

For what it's worth I'm sticking to my Ballycumber guns. Ballycumber to beat Shamrocks in the semi.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Have to agree with Lone Shark(which isnt very often :wink: ) regarding Thomas coughlan.Thought yer man in the Express went way overboard in his assertion that he was going to do a job for Offaly at midfield next year. As far as i can see he will be holding onto a jersey next year somewhere in the region of 25-30.

Like it or lump it McManus is still one of Offaly's best footballers and he will probably be on the Ireland squad again this year for the trip down under.Now if we could only get him to transfer to Edenderry (seeing as he is courting heavily over our way) we could show him how to play football.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

I'd say not a hope of that True Red, I'd see him playing Junior football in Clare before he'd join the Reds. Though the way tubber are scraping thru the Intermediate he may be playing Senior with them next year........

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Not a chance of him ever leaving, least of all now. He was offered plenty of money by several Dublin clubs when he was up there, and turned it down, all the while Tubber were doing well to hold on to intermediate.

Now they have four lads who were on the county minor panel at the start of the year, and another promising few along with it and senior is finally within range? He's there for life.

The father would kill him if he left anyway. :D

HairyHole
Intermediate

Shamrocks

Post by HairyHole »

Very impressed with Shamrocks display in the 2nd half .Thomas Coughlan and Neville were the men that really stood out in my opinion.I'd expect them to beat ballycumber in the semi and give either Rhode or Tullamore a real fight in the final.Thought Ronan Mooney had a very quite game.When Clara scored that first point in the 2nd half I really thought they were going to steamrole over Shamrocks but the opposite happened , Shamrocks dominated at midfield and played nice intelligent hand pass movements between their forwards (something they were lacking in the 1st half as they played with no full forward line at all). Clara were a big disappointment .Its unreal how that team misses Mark Daly (who's been one of the best club footballers in Offaly for the last 3/4 years)

As for Rhode/Edenderry , it was more the result that matters for me rather than quality of football. There is always that mind set among Rhode teams playing the townies like Edenderry and Tullamore who if come out with a plan to hit Rhode hard for the 1st 20 minutes they can achieve a result because Rhode have that tendancy to bottle it slightly.

Fair play to Edenderry they got stuck in and their hunger was equally as visible and Rhodes apparent nervousness.Rhode opportunist goal late in the 1st half coupled with the goal after half time seemed to settle them somewhat but their still is some questions to be asked about this Rhode team.Chino played well at midfield when he came on as did Sullivan at wing back . Our forwards were'nt firing on all cyclinders(with young Hicky probably the pick of them ) and Roy Malones pace was missing at CHF.Thought Jack Kilmurray made an impact when he came on.

If it was this time last year I'd be confident of a Rhode win over Tullamore but we don't look like the same team we did last year so I'll be going the the semi final with quite a lot of butterflys in my stomach.

Percy Sledgehammer
Senior

Post by Percy Sledgehammer »

Just like in the All Ireland, you won't win anything without a real danger man inside, an O'Neill/Cooper/McDonnell. Shamrocks don't have anything like that, and while they are good around the middle, they will get beaten, either by Ballycumber or in the final.

As for McManus leaving Tubber, sure why would he go to Edenderry? we'll be winning a senior championship before ye will! :lol: :lol:

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

try and concentrate on winning the intermediate first.