Best G.A.A aftermatch pub in the county

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Every parish has there favourite GAA pub, but if theres one for the county, maybe The Brewery Tap in Tulach Mhór?? any suggestions? personally Murtaghs of Cloghan is my favourite along with Gleesons in Ferbane.

Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh
Senior

Post by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh »

Finbarr Cullens in Edenderry is rapidly becoming very popular with the gaels of Edenderry

As Such Ger
County player

Post by As Such Ger »

[quote][quote="Rynaghs Biffo"]Every parish has there favourite GAA pub, but if theres one for the county, maybe The Brewery Tap in Tulach Mhór??

Definitely not The Tap. In fact, you would struggle to find a pub with less GAA connection. It would be more associated with the Spollanstown end of the town, and while Im not doubting for a second that it is a fine pub with a good atmosphere, it is certainly not a GAA pub.

Digans would be the main one in the town, which is always good for a few aftermatch pints. Spollans on high st. is popular with the killeigh and shamrocks crowd when they are in town...it eventually got a lick of paint in recent times and a window scrub, which was long overdue

doobane man
County player

Post by doobane man »

After the hurling - Molloys in Birr
After football - Gavins
Martins (Should that read Brown's now?)
Hineys in Ferbane was mighty once, now liable to have Golf/ Soccer or Soaps on instead of Sunday Game.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Best G.A.A aftermatch pub in the county

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Well folks.
I might as well dig this up to see if we get some new suggestions and perhaps find out if any pubs have since lost their uibhfhaili.com Michelin Star.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

Seerys of Daingean

Many a club has been known to stop in here, often when its not even on their route.
Kilclonfert, Daingean, Clonbullogue & Walsh Island to name but a few have stopped here many a time to whet their whistles!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Nolan's in Birr was a good auld spot or up to Pilkingtons

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Molloys in birr would be the pub for the kinnitty and clareen crowd after a match. Nolans was always a spot for the coolderry crowd to the best of my knowledge. Do any GAA fans actually go into whelehans? Not the most pleasant of establishments if you ask me.

In tullamore I suppose the biggest crowd after a game goes to eugenes but I would prefer digans. The tap is a pain in the hole.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

kinnittyman wrote:Molloys in birr would be the pub for the kinnitty and clareen crowd after a match. Nolans was always a spot for the coolderry crowd to the best of my knowledge. Do any GAA fans actually go into whelehans? Not the most pleasant of establishments if you ask me.

In tullamore I suppose the biggest crowd after a game goes to eugenes but I would prefer digans. The tap is a pain in the hole.
alot of the Rynaghs crowd would have went to Nolans, i found alot of people used to go to Whelehans from outside of birr when offaly were at the top
alot of people from the football side of the county plus lads from other counties would have went to Whelehans saying that it clean up in the 90's.

Percys in Kinnitty was a good auld shop as well many a nite i had the crack in it great GAA pub

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i forgot to give the Blueball a mention another good spot over the year's, or Kavanaghs in kilyon some great pictures on the walls

RhodeRunner
Intermediate

Post by RhodeRunner »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlgLbKO6QFg O'Tooles Rhode, formerly Mulvins. Think this video was taken on a Wednesday after a junior b league game

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

Eugenes filled up rapidly after the Edenderry victory on Sunday, not surprising given the family connection!!

SearingDrive
All Star

Re:

Post by SearingDrive »

Bord na Mona man wrote:The Cat and Bagpipes Tubber
The Auld Shebeen in Mo' - I know it's in Wastemeath, but we need to occasionally enter badlands to remind our neighbours of our superiority!
That might be a case of the 'old hasbeens' in The Auld Shebeen'?

blue biffo
Junior A
Club: tullamore

Post by blue biffo »

When hurling with Tullamore (20 years ago) all our games were in south offaly the cars would automatically slow down and stop at the blueball could never pass it. Digans is the GAA pub in Tullamore but closing soon,Eugens and Nanny Kellys (best pint in town) good GAA pubs also. The Tap seems to get mentioned here alot in town its known as a rugby pub.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Eugene byrne's aka the oakwood inn was hopping the night of the county final
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything