Offaly vs. Sligo NFL 14/03/2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Offaly vs. Sligo NFL 14/03/2010

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Breheny contribution the difference in Sligo victory

By Sligo 0-12 Offaly 0-11

Monday March 15 2010

Sligo talisman Eamon O'Hara's second-half introduction, Kenneth Sweeney's return at full-forward and Mark Breheny's contribution of four points were the vital ingredients for Sligo as Kevin Walsh's charges occasionally laboured to a one-point win over Offaly at Markievicz Park.

Offaly, for whom corner-forward Niall McNamee was superb until hampered by a second-half ankle injury, reduced the deficit to a single point in the helter-skelter closing minutes when defender Brian Darby pointed but this was the losers' only score of the last 20 minutes.

Sligo, who led at half-time 0-8 to 0-7, only hit four scores in the second period. Initially pegged back by their opponents after the break -- Offaly briefly led 0-9 to 0-8 -- Sligo went two points up, 0-12 to 0-10, with points from substitute Sean Davey and Sweeney.

Sligo opened the scoring with a Tony Taylor point in the first minute but Offaly, with McNamee contributing three classy first-half scores, played the more constructive football in the opening period when both defences were guilty of regular lapses.

Scorers -- Sligo: M Breheny 0-4 (3f), K Sweeney 0-2, T Taylor, S Coen, D Kelly, A Costello, S Gilmartin, S Davey 0-1 each. Offaly: N McNamee 0-5 (1f), J Reynolds 0-3, D Egan, C McManus, B Darby 0-1 each.

Sligo -- P Greene; C Harrison, N McGuire, R Donovan; N Ewing, M Quinn, J Davey; T Taylor, S Gilmartin; A Costello, M Breheny, K Sweeney; S Coen, D Kelly, G Gaughan. Subs: B Kennedy for McGuire, E O'Hara for Coen; S Davey for Costello; F Quinn for Gilmartin.

Offaly -- A Mulhall; C Kiely, S Pender, B Darby; P McConway, R Dalton, S Lonergan; J Coughlan, C McManus; A Lynam, S Brady, S Ryan; D Egan, J Reynolds, N McNamee. Subs: A Sullivan for Ryan, N Coughlan for Egan, P Sullivan for Brady, S Sullivan for Reynolds, N Dunne for Lynam.

Ref -- E O'Grady (Leitrim).

- Sligo 0-12 Offaly 0-11

leinsterman
All Star

Re: Offaly vs. Sligo NFL 14/03/2010

Post by leinsterman »

was there even anybody at the match from offaly there, god someone on this site must
have being in sligo for the game. its a sad day for football in offaly if No one went to it
i know not many went to cork for the hurling but myself and a few from the website were
there to give a report on it. :(

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Was there for my sins. Deeply frustrating to say the least of it. Started very slowly, allowed Sligo to get three quick points, then dominated the rest of the first half and were leading 7-5 with a few mins to go to half time. Niall and Shaper were lording it up front, albeit with some good ball going in. Lost concentration before half time and again, three scores, two of which were very preventable.

With the wind to come in the second half, it was a good position - and after getting the first two scores of the second half, it was a better position again - but we started to lose the half forward line, Eamonn O'Hara swept up a lot of ball from a deep lying position and the forwards were starved out of the game. Great performance from our full back line who did really well, but after that it was very mixed. Some poor decisions at the end possibly prevented us from nicking a draw, but it probably wouldn't have been deserved.

I remain convinced that there is a lot of talent in this bunch of players and they are on the brink of breaking through - but they really need to develop a much stronger mentality if that is to happen.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Johnno81
County player

Post by Johnno81 »

Was there and the less said the better!!! How they only lost by a point is beyond me. The scoreline does not reflect Sligo's dominance. They kicked up some dreadful wides and were very fond of handpassing instead of shooting when in attack. Bar a 20 minute spell in the first half, we were dreadful.. Niall Mac cleaned out the backs in the first half and when he got injured early in the second half but stayed on, it went downhill from there!!! Our away form continues to be our big problem. What really annoyed me was we were 7 to 5 up at end of normal time in the first half, 2 minutes called and we go in a point down... Again, we give away silly frees when we are in trouble defensive wise... Was i glad to hear we beat Dublin in the hurling because it made the two hour trip home more bearable.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

fair play to ye lads its along old trip alright, but sligo are not to bad they were connacht
champions 3 years ago.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Any chance of a start boss.............

Sorry its off topic but there doesnt seem to b emuch life in this thread anyways.

I see a new powerstation near Cloghan got the go ahead, has to be good news for the area.

Whats the price of houses like around Cloghan.

:)
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."